Last "Groundbreaking Album"

SunnyDRE

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Metal is too esoteric to gain mass appeal, but I feel Between The Buried and Me's "Colors" marked a shift in the genre. When has a metal band ever been able to successfully incorporate a country break down into an 18 minute progressive metal song?

If there weren't screaming in the vocals BTBAM would be talked about so much more. Simply put, no one else in music is doing what they do

I'd probably have to say A Strange Arrangement - Mayer Hawthorne (2009). He really sort of broke down all barriers between "classic" R&B and soul, and modern R&B and hip hop. A lot of songs have this nostalgic, Motown-esque vibe, but with these blatant drum machines as opposed to acoustic drums. The production on the album is like nothing I've ever heard, all instruments have a very processed crackle-and-hiss to them, but the vocals are completely clean. Gives the album a really...different vibe. This to me, is one of the most original albums of the 21st century.

Probably not groundbreaking in the most extreme sense, but I think we come pretty close with:

Radiohead merged their brand of indierock with the snappy and clacky clicky sounds of Warp records artists with Kid A etc. That was, of course, quite a few years ago. Probably someone added actual song structures, singing and the like over such beats before them though...

Not really that groundbreaking but breathing a lot of freshness into the good ol' justice electrohouse sound is the californian little bigman Skrillex, with his album on mau5trap records, I guess it came out late 2010.