Greatest Singers of All Time

Apollo

Obviously John Lennon is one of the best ever, but I couldn't figure out where to put him.

I'm 38, so my music background is basically from about 1985 until now - hence the reason there are a lot of 80's and 90's singers on here.

Anyway - this isn't meant to start a big fight, just a fun debate.

IN MY OPINION ONLY . . . here are the top three singers at each genre.

Maybe not the best "technical" singers.

My criteria was if I was the lead singer of a band that played this kind of music, whose voice would I want.

Melodic Rock (love)

1. Steve Perry - the king of the love song, the smoothest voice EVER

2. Elton John - perfect at what he does

3. Van Morrison - love his voice, ripped with feeling

Pop

1. Buddy Holly - the REAL king of Pop. Fuck Elvis and Michael!

2. Prince - old prince, son. old prince ruled. little red corvette? when doves cry?

3. Ann Wilson - the best female voice - ever

Soul/RnB/Urban/Black

1. Marvin Gaye - Sexual Healing - enuff said

2. Bob Marley - still the best

3. Otis Redding/Ray Charles - Otis's voice could melt your heart

Rock

1. Freddie Mercury - nothing needs to be said

2. Robert Plant - defined rock, how many copycats of him are there?

3. John Fogerty - come on - unique cool voice. underrated in my book.

Hairband Rock

1. Eric Martin - OK, nobody will agree with this. But what an amazing voice.

2. Sebastian Bach - you might not like him personally, but the fella can flat out sing

3T. Jason McMasters - lesser known, but can hit the HIGH note and sung for a ac/dc tribute band. Listen to Queen of The Nile, Teasin pleasin, Scared.

3T. Tom Kieffer - cinderella

Hard Rock

1. Axl Rose - dude - nothing needs to be said

2. Ozzy - again, his voice defined a generation. Crazy Train is still the SONG

3. Steven Tyler/Geddy Lee - Tyler, just from so many rock classic. Geddy for his uniqueness.

Metal

1. Bruce Dickinson - doesn't get the credit he deserves. Sounds as good live as on album.

2. Rob Halford - heavy metal at it's finest

3. Chris Cornell/Dio/either Ac/dc singer - tho all might belong in the hard rock section

Edited by Groghan

I'd put Ozzy (not Ozzie) under metal, not hard rock. And Chris Cornell is more hard rock than metal...no grunge category.

Also, Bob Marley as soul/RnB?

I know . . . but I didn't want to have 19 groups. Grunge, classic rock, reggae, etc. So I had to make some consessions.

Good points on the ozzy and cornell . . . there are a few guys that could go in multiple categories.

If you look away from the technical abilities and forget all the hard-rock-Freddie-Mercury stuff, the best singers I've ever heard are Howlin' Wolf and Sam Cooke.

Sam Cooke's voice is absolute perfection. :heart: Admittedly, I haven't heard all of his recordings, but I don't think I've ever heard him sing poorly.

Not necessarily my favourite musicians, but my favourite singers are Jeff Mangum (Neutral Milk Hotel), Thom Yorke (Radiohead), David Bowie, Iggy Pop, Peter Murphy (Bauhaus), Pete Shelley (Buzzcocks), Paul Westerberg (the Replacements) and the guys from Vampire Weekend and the Dodos.

Edited by Black Monk Time

The most rocking pipes undoubtedly belong to Axl and Brian Johnson.

Then, there's the ethereal trio, capable of making me weep instantly:

1) Morrissey (Probably the most talented, humorous, depressing, and thought-provoking lyric-writer in pop/rock history. He's got one spooky voice that's surprisngly layered with emotion, despite sounding half dead).

2) Jeff Buckley (A technical marvel with the most impressive range I've ever heard. His music drips with impossible beauty and I get salty discharge just thinking about how gifted he was. The Greatest, as far as I'm concerned.)

3) Thom Yorke (Influenced by the other two above and he's certainly got the best of 'em. It's all about atmosphere with Thom... as well as everything else that's capable of giving you goosebumps and premonitions.

Edited by bluesy

Obviously John Lennon is one of the best ever, but I couldn't figure out where to put him.

I'm 38, so my music background is basically from about 1985 until now - hence the reason there are a lot of 80's and 90's singers on here.

Anyway - this isn't meant to start a big fight, just a fun debate.

IN MY OPINION ONLY . . . here are the top three singers at each genre.

Maybe not the best "technical" singers.

My criteria was if I was the lead singer of a band that played this kind of music, whose voice would I want.

Melodic Rock (love)

1. Steve Perry - the king of the love song, the smoothest voice EVER

2. Elton John - perfect at what he does

3. Van Morrison - love his voice, ripped with feeling

Pop

1. Buddy Holly - the REAL king of Pop. Fuck Elvis and Michael!

2. Prince - old prince, son. old prince ruled. little red corvette? when doves cry?

3. Ann Wilson - the best female voice - ever

Soul/RnB/Urban/Black

1. Marvin Gaye - Sexual Healing - enuff said

2. Bob Marley - still the best

3. Otis Redding/Ray Charles - Otis's voice could melt your heart

Rock

1. Freddie Mercury - nothing needs to be said

2. Robert Plant - defined rock, how many copycats of him are there?

3. John Fogerty - come on - unique cool voice. underrated in my book.

Hairband Rock

1. Eric Martin - OK, nobody will agree with this. But what an amazing voice.

2. Sebastian Bach - you might not like him personally, but the fella can flat out sing

3T. Jason McMasters - lesser known, but can hit the HIGH note and sung for a ac/dc tribute band. Listen to Queen of The Nile, Teasin pleasin, Scared.

3T. Tom Kieffer - cinderella

Hard Rock

1. Axl Rose - dude - nothing needs to be said

2. Ozzy - again, his voice defined a generation. Crazy Train is still the SONG

3. Steven Tyler/Geddy Lee - Tyler, just from so many rock classic. Geddy for his uniqueness.

Metal

1. Bruce Dickinson - doesn't get the credit he deserves. Sounds as good live as on album.

2. Rob Halford - heavy metal at it's finest

3. Chris Cornell/Dio/either Ac/dc singer - tho all might belong in the hard rock section

How the fuck is baz a hairband singer?!

Have you ever heard the anything past I Rememer you?

The entire "Slave" album is more hard rock(almost metal) than anything GN'R ever did. That album is one hard fucking album.

And yeah, as was mentioned, Robin Zander is very underrated. He can outsing anyone mentioned aside from Freddy Mercury. I've seen the guy live 15 times and he doesn't miss one note and his voice seems to age like wine.

Guest knerken
You should have a category called Trent Reznor.

No no no no, you need a category called "Pure Shit", and then you can put Trent Reznor underneath.

I will not take any rock vocal-opinions from a user with an Oasis signature seriously ;)

But seriously, Trent Reznor has got a great range and a recognizable voice that gives his music more emotion, atmosphere and beautiful despair than anyone else.