ER Helps You Through the 'Chinese Democracy' Wait...

Estranged Reality

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is this only for rap?

well this is band is considered 'post-grunge' and imo they are really good. It's Breaking Benjamin, i think they're popular but not really famous at all- if you're interested listen to Phobia and We Are Not Alone.

Yeah, Breaking Benjamin are awesome.

My favourite song would be "Blow me away". It was made for Halo2, so that means it's awesome too.

Halo 2 Soundtrack

Dairy of Jane is their popular hit single.

I've never been that fond of Illimatic, dunno, just can't get into it. Halftime is my favourite track from it though..Cypress Hills have some pretty badass songs.

I remember one album I used to love was 2pac(makavelli)-Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory.

Just redownloaded it last night. Some rap is just fun to listen to.

Yeah, I love that one - it's so furious and natural.

Wrote about it in my post.

Sorry, I didn't see that. I agree word for word.

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago (November 2nd)

71de810ae7a0c3d603f69110._AA240_.L.jpg

Comments: There are a lot of indie songwriters who debut every year, get hyped endlessly in the lead-up, and don\'t really do a whole lot for me. I have a group of friends who are really into indie music, and they started talking about Bon Iver last year. I didn\'t really expect to be impressed, but then I started seeing more and more recommendations and glowing reviews in reliable magazines, so I decided to give it a listen. I fell for it almost immediately - the haunting opening track, \"Flume,\" starts off the record perfectly. It only gets better from there. The thing I admire most about it is that it doesn\'t really go for the typical indie-songwriter cliches -- no Neutral Milk Hotel aspirations or what have you, just good atmospheric folk. A bit more traditional which works in its favour. One thing to keep in mind is that you have to be in the right mood to hear this - it\'s perfect to put on right before you\'re getting ready to sleep. If you like folk or acoustic music in general, or are looking to listen to more of the genre, this is a really good place to start. I\'d say anyone who\'s into lo-fi or traditional folky singer-songwriter stuff will enjoy this.

Sample: Skinny Love (Live on Jools Holland)

Edited by Estranged Reality

An album a day keeps the temptation to download illegal leaks away!

If you're chewing at the bit waiting to hear Chinese Democracy and those 24 days seem like an eternity, this thread is for you!

I ask only one thing of you:

- Don't listen to any GN'R material from now until November 23, 2008 (that includes older material!)

Why? Trust me - if you completely cut off your GN'R intake, you'll lose calories some of the anxiousness. It won't seem as long. I've done this before, you know. When that whole "13 Tuesdays" thing happened in '06, I just started listening to a lot of other music and avoided GN'R altogether to help the time pass by quicker. It worked splendidly, until the time arrived when I realized Merck had been a little bit facetious and then I relapsed like a junkie on welfare payout day.

Okay, here's how I'm going to do this. One album per day! 23 days. Twenty-three great albums to get your mind off of Chinese Democracy. Then, on the twenty-fourth day, we all have a musical orgy.

INDEX

October 30 - The Wallflowers - Bringing Down the Horse

October 31 - Nas - Illmatic

November 1 - The Lyres - On Fyre

November 2 - Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

The Wallflowers - Bringing Down the Horse

bringingdownthehorse.jpg

Comments: I like the song "One Headlight" a whole lot. They were seen as a one-hit wonder because of that track, but this whole album's consistent and worth checking out. The singer is Bob Dylan's son, by the way. And if you like this, his solo album is surprisingly good and just about on par with some of the material here.

Breach was/is a good album by the Wallflowers as well. Add to your list if you're a fan.

breach.jpg

Iggy Pop - Lust For Life (November 3rd)

IggyPopLustForLife.jpg

Comments: Kinda seems unnecessary to even really recommend this since it's become a staple for all music fans, but I was listening to it again earlier and just had to spread the love. Its most famous tracks (like the title cut) are totally worthy of the praise they've received, but it also has some really underrated songs (like Fall In Love With Me, which is one of the best drunk lust songs ever). If you haven't heard it yet, do yourself a favour and pick it up - and grab The Idiot while you're at it. They're both awesome. If Frank White were here he'd probably go into a rant about how many underrated albums Iggy has, but this is the best place to start if you haven't yet.

Edited by Estranged Reality

IggyPopLustForLife.jpg

Comments: Kinda seems unnecessary to even really recommend this since it's become a staple for all music fans, but I was listening to it again earlier and just had to spread the love. Its most famous tracks (like the title cut) are totally worthy of the praise they've received, but it also has some really underrated songs (like Fall In Love With Me, which is one of the best drunk lust songs ever). If you haven't heard it yet, do yourself a favour and pick it up - and grab The Idiot while you're at it. They're both awesome. If Frank White were here he'd probably go into a rant about how many underrated albums Iggy has, but this is the best place to start if you haven't yet.

:(

poor frankie boy we were gonna hang

IggyPopLustForLife.jpg

Lust for Life and The Idiot are the only Iggy albums I like. Frank would have verbally ripped my head off for saying that. :lol:

IggyPopLustForLife.jpg

Lust for Life and The Idiot are the only Iggy albums I like. Frank would have verbally ripped my head off for saying that. :lol:

:no:

You do like The Stooges, though, right?

I was going to recommend Raw Power but that's such a well-known album...I'm trying to at least recommend things that not everybody here would recognize straight away. These aren't all going to be my all-time favourite albums or whatever...because a lot of my favourites are things everybody here would probably have (the Stones, Beatles, Dylan, etc.). I've been going through iTunes trying to find a mix of genres and obscurity and everything, but I dunno... I'm getting lazy now. :lol: