Ed Van Halen was/is nuts!

JONEZY

Taken from Classicrockrevisited.com( interview with Sammy Hagar).

Interviewer(Jeb): I heard that Ed and you got into a fight in an airplane(2004 Van Hagar Reunion Tour). While in the air, Ed actually tried to smash out a window in the plane. Is that true?

Sammy Hagar:

Yes, it is true. He(Ed Van Halen) tried to smash the window out with his hand, until he hurt his hand. Then he tried to smash it out with a wine bottle, until Alex Van Halen jumped up and took the bottle from him and calmed him down. I was going to quit the band the next day, but there were 40 more shows and I couldn't do that to the fans. I thought it was not cool to burn the fans. I knew they(Ed/Alex) would make me the bad guy.

I refused to fly with the guy ever again. He was completely out of his mind drunk. He was completely wasted. He was so wasted that he was actually stupid enough to take 12 people down. People that act like that shouldn't be allowed to fly on airplanes, and they probably can't, but we were flying privately.

I said, "The only way I will continue to do this tour is if I have my own airplane!"

They paid for my own airplane.

I saw them on that tour, Ed was wasted beyond belief and couldn't play. He sounded like a 3 year old with broken fingers...

He couldn't even talk, but he did say to the crowd something like "you can throw shit at me, I can't play tonight..." during his solo spot.

I saw him in 2004 too. He had his moments, he could pull off "Eruption", but there was a few minutes during his solo where he just messed around and it was bad. Rumour has it Alex would throw his drumsticks at Ed to try and get his head out of his ass. The show I saw in St. Louis, a 13 year old Wolfie came out with the famous red/white stripe guitar and played "316" while Ed jammed with him. It was a great moment, but you could tell Ed was drunk.

The weird thing is, Ed's booze/coke addiction never affected him for years, it might have helped his creativity. Now, I think Ed has run out of ideas for new songs. He did play good about 9 months ago(fresh out of rehab), but he was just rehashing the old classic Van Halen songs.

Wow,Sammy's riding the trash-talkin' train all the way to the station.

I don't know. Sam was asked a question and he answered it. I appreciate his honesty.

Ed, as much as I love him, rarely does interviews and when he does, its all sugar coated bullshit.

Wow,Sammy's riding the trash-talkin' train all the way to the station.

I don't know. Sam was asked a question and he answered it. I appreciate his honesty.

Ed, as much as I love him, rarely does interviews and when he does, its all sugar coated bullshit.

He answered it...in great detail.

Necessary?

I dunno,why hang an alcoholic's dirty laundry on the line for everyone to piss on?

A simple...'yes it's true" could have sufficed.

This isn't an isolated Sammy comment by any means.

Not the first interview I've heard from Sammy where he's more than willing to twist the knife.

Besides..it just makes the next Van Hagar reunion seem less than sincere. :tongue2: