Killers - Day & Age

Dead Flower

Interesting album. Very different from Sam's Town. The music is much more sparse, with less roaring guitars and more focus on Brandon's voice and Ronnie's drumming. If you weren't a fan of Human, then I doubt the rest of the album will win you over.

First run through the album left me a little underwhelmed, but by the second listen the melodies were already starting to catch on, and each song started to develop it's own identity.

Losing Touch is a great opener and a showcase of Flowers beautiful voice and melodies. You'll be singing along to lines like "how you got lost, but you made your way back home" in no time.

You'll either love Joy Ride or hate it. Wildly Flamboyant with a great dance beat. I can imagine Flowers shaking some maracas and wiggling his hips when he performs this one. Cool lyrics. "Lipstick on the nightstand, and demons at the door".

A Dustland Fairytale almost sounds like a sequel to When You Were Young lyrically. Starts with Brandon crooning over delicate piano, before increasing in tempo. Has that dark romanticism that Flowers is so good at crafting.

This Is Your Life has a worse vocal intro than Scraped from CD. Not a big fan of this one yet.

Neon Tiger is great. The World We Live In and Goodnight, Travel Well are rather dramatic and dark.

I get the feeling Goodnight, Travel Well will grow to be a favourite.

Top five atm:

Human

Losing Touch

Neon Tiger

A Dustland Fairytale

Joy Ride

Edited by Dead Flower

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just heard it and I think it's absolutely fantastic. It's definitley the best pop album this year and, like Dead Flower already said, not comparable to the previous record. Some of the melodies are really sweet and poppy and sound instantly familiar, best example therefore is Human, arguably the best single in 2008.

My favourite tracks so far:

Human

Spaceman

Losing Touch

Neon Tiger

It's better than Hot Fuss, but not quite as memorable as Sam's Town. I think I favor their second album the most because it hit me like a ton of bricks when I first heard it. Completely unexpected. It was fun, guitar-driven indie rock with a hint of Springsteen, with richly woven harmonies and hook-laden melodies. Day and Age is a lot more dependent on synthesizers, which isn't a bad thing at all, but the album's strongest songs are the ones with tidal waves of electric guitar exploding over Flowers' hypnotic vocals. A Dustland Fairytale is ear candy in that regard. What a lovely tune..

Dead Flower is right, though. The album doesn't really start to catch on until your second listen. It's not Sam's Town, but there's a lot of really good stuff on this..

Top five:

Losing Touch

A Dustland Fairytale

Neon Tiger

Goodnight, Travel Well

I Can't Stay

-Kickingthehabit

Losing Touch has embedded itself in my skull. I find myself singing it all the time.

"console me in my darkest hour"

"you go run and tell your friends I'm losing touch"

"you got lost, but you made your way back home"

The guitar in the outro is beautiful.

Losing Touch owns you

Those first 3 songs must be the best sucession of any 3 songs I've heard on an album