Chris Cornell new solo album/single

bt88

I've always loved his voice on the ligher songs (Fell On Black Days, Black Hole Sun, Like A Stone, I Am The Highway, Be Yourself, Getaway Car) and always craved for a Chris Cornell solo album with songs similar to that. He released 2 in a similar style, but the songs just weren't strong at all. A few here and there. I would not mind a lighter poppy album by him, it's what I want, but this album is just bad.

His solo stuff has gotten progressively worse. He just isn't good on his own, and his chemistry with Timbaland is inexistent. He worked well in Soundgarden, but usually they're too heavy for me (unless I'm in the mood), and he worked very well with the Rage guys on most of Audioslave's first 2 LPs. I gave this album a fair shot, but I just don't think it is any good. I agree with the mid-life crises statement.

The only good track I've heard (besides Long Gone live...which is still too repetitive) is the bonus track that John Mayer co-wrote (not a fan of him). I only heard it once, but I remember it being pretty good (in comparison to the rest of the album).

EDIT: if he genuinely enjoys this music & wanted to make this record, and it was a move to try an be more popular, sell albums, or please someone else, then I respect his bravery. He must know a lot of Soundgarden & Audioslave fans will hate this music & he will lose some fans along the way, so it was a bold move. I just wish it wasn't as extreme. I love electronic drums & synthesizers, I'm a huge Radiohead fan and they use them a lot, but these songs are just...bleh... they wreak of Timbaland's generic pop/hip hop/rnb shit sound.

Edited by mr. orangestone

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

his voice is there his looks are there but the songs are not.

i really dig the sound that he's going for but the songs are just not there.

just like carry on - and i enjoy sappy acoustic songs if in the right mood,

but his song writing is just atrocious as of late.

Agreed, and the mixing on Carry On was HORRIBLE. There's way too much Cornell & no drums. Guitar playing was subpar too.

His last good work was on Out of Exile by Audioslave, and some of that was subpar also...

Agreed, and the mixing on Carry On was HORRIBLE. There's way too much Cornell & no drums. Guitar playing was subpar too.

His last good work was on Out of Exile by Audioslave, and some of that was subpar also...

ehhhhh...I'd even go farther back than that...

audioslave was a failure in my eyes. tom morello's riffs were pretty lame and too busy for a bluesy melody line. the two clashed too often. the first album was decent because they acclimated to his melodies in some cases (e.g. like a stone), but on the second and third album was unbearably boring in some spots. it might have worked if chris was still doing his amelodic screaming of 1987, but...he's not because he's outgrown that and better than that.

ehhhhh...I'd even go farther back than that...

audioslave was a failure in my eyes. tom morello's riffs were pretty lame and too busy for a bluesy melody line. the two clashed too often. the first album was decent because they acclimated to his melodies in some cases (e.g. like a stone), but on the second and third album was unbearably boring in some spots. it might have worked if chris was still doing his amelodic screaming of 1987, but...he's not because he's outgrown that and better than that.

Yeah, I enjoy the first Audioslave album, but I agree with you to an extent. Songs like Like a Stone, I Am the Highway, Exploder, and Getaway Car were just good songs. Be Yourself is a great one off of the second, but I actually forget most of the other songs though. I don't like when they would play Rage type riffs and Cornell sounded out of place. Some of their songs had their own sound and worked, but overall the band didn't seem to work (hence the breakup).

It's better than that Euphoria Morning

No, just, no no no no. Euphoria Morning is one of the best solo albums and albums in general of the 90's.

Great producer.

Was.

He's past his glory now and can peacefully fuck off. Nothing inspiring, just the same drum beats and different synths.

EDIT: As for his album, bad and I hope for SG reunion as soon as possible.

Edited by New Rose

piece of shit timbaland, the guy has one sound and one sound only in his head when it comes to music.

I mean fuck, you can just sing "Its too late to apologize, it's too late..." to this beat.

Cornell has one of the best voices ever and totally fucking it up. Sing with Velvet Revolver if you wanna experiment with something new, not with this dumbass.

piece of shit timbaland, the guy has one sound and one sound only in his head when it comes to music.

I mean fuck, you can just sing "Its too late to apologize, it's too late..." to this beat.

Cornell has one of the best voices ever and totally fucking it up. Sing with Velvet Revolver if you wanna experiment with something new, not with this dumbass.

:lol: !

This isn't me trying to make a personal attack you although I do agree Cornell would be a good choice.

However the words experimenting and VR don't mix...

Edited by Spuffy78

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Chris Cornell is one of my favorite artists - Euphoria Morning is actually one of my favorite CDs - so I've been looking forward to this since last summer. I heard a few of the songs a few months ago, but I didn't bother downloading the leak for late last month or whatever, so most of it is new for me. I love it. I think Part of Me is pretty meh, but not quite as bad as some on here are making out. Never Far Away, Long Gone, and Scream seem even better now than when I heard them on Youtube way back. They are probably my favorite songs after the first listen, as well, though that is surely tainted by the fact that I knew them already.

Chris wasn't kidding when he said to listen to it straight through, on headphones. Do so and you'll get it. All the songs flow together, etc. And the sound is definitely one of those things that deserve to be listened to with headphones. I also must say that I think the whole is stronger than the sum of its parts.

I'm not surprised a lot of his old fans hate it (especially the Soundgarden only ones), but you should all give it a chance in my opinion.

CHRIS CORNELL: 'Scream' First-Week Sales In 20-25K Range - Mar. 12, 2009

According to Hits Daily Double, the companion web site of music industry tip sheet HITS, former SOUNDGARDEN/AUDIOSLAVE singer Chris Cornell's third solo album, "Scream", is on track to move between 20,000 and 25,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release.

looks like it flopped....hopefully this is the end to chris cornells foray into dance-pop music...

not really surprising though.....I doubt most fans of pop music really want to hear a 40+year old alt/grunge singer making justin timberlake throwaways......and most fans of audioslave/soundgarden dont want to hear Cornell making justin timberlake throwaways!