Axl the last of the visionaries?

HankMoody

Does life make men like Axl, Bono, James Hetfield anymore? Are there any great frontman anymore? It just seems like men are weak now days and only explore pity as an emotion or maybe some other emotion , but are incapable of the full range of emotions of the classics. Every decade has some contribution by a classic band , but what did the ninties give us ? What classic band has come out of the last two decades. Surely many greats bands recoginzed and unrecognized have come out of these decades , but what about classic bands? assuming the cats are poor,good,great,classic. only the very few reach classic. Maybe the killers can . So where are the visionaries ? People constantly post on axl here, but is he the last of the Classics and are anymore coming. Ambien is kicking in. this forum is going to shit. we need broader subjects on Axl n art.

Every decade has some contribution by a classic band , but what did the ninties give us ?

Radiohead and Pearl Jam are the first that come to mind. All the grunge bands of the early '90s contributed a lot to rock music, though most of them formed in the late '80s I guess (AIC, Soundgarden, Nirvana etc).

It's not that there are no visionaries left, as much as it is that there is just way too much product, bands, music out there for the average consumer to sift through.

I consider Geoff Lagadec to be a true visionary, a lyrical genius, but who has ever heard of him?

My 2 cents/pence.

Being a rock star became unfashionable.

The music was there with Pearl Jame, Soundgarden, Faith No More, Screaming Trees, Nirvana but that Mick Jagger rock star thing just wasn't happening.

Dave Grohl is like the archetype of that nice guy rock star.

You have to sacrifice a lot to be that rock star.

I think there's a lot of people with vision like Brandon Flowers but within metal there less of it, it's more pop metal now.

Hip Hop artists seem to be the rock stars, people like 50 Cent. But then the musical innovation is happening elsewhere. Like Radiohead just steals all it's ideas from Autchere, so there's no belief in that vision.

I saw this on MTV, is it visionary or just a cover of a Bob Dylan song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxq-rTGxpyQ

Everything like a very complex mix of retro influences in the mainstream, true visionaries never get heard.

I actually agree with this post. I find myself wondering this as well. Gnr (original) is/was my favorite all time band. But I have to admit it, I was an 80's rocker. I still love most of those bands today. But if you think about it, wether you like those bands or not, when they do get together and tour, its always a good time and does fairly well. same with 70's bands. But after bands like peral jam, and some others mentioned here, what is left? Are people really going to care 20 years from now that nickelback or stained is getting the band back together?

I think bands now have break up/reunion clauses in their contracts - it's what you do to have a rock career.

To get famous you have to jump through so many hoops I'm surprised any of them have any talent for music, sometimes you expect to get there and they'll be negioating with the audience about cheering them on.

It's just not the 70s anymore, there is no Man holding you back, bands are lucky to playing music at all and not get flogged to death for 2 cents an hour.

There's a guilt about life that was expressed by the bands in the 90s, people now seem to want to see bands have the same problems as them, not be more rich and successful than then, so really mediocre bands are for the mainstream.

If you want good music you have to search it out, but the guy might not be a coked out prima donna.

I don't think labels are looking for problems if they can make money off dependable nice guys they'd rather do that than deal with Kevin Shields or some lunatic guy with "a vision" which means they'll all be bankrupt by Christmas.

This decade sucks and I dont see it getting any better. Terrible music, movies just arent as good, 8 years of George Bush, and this economic disaster is apparently the finisher. There is so much more to rant about, but I got my opinion out.

Hip Hop artists seem to be the rock stars, people like 50 Cent. But then the musical innovation is happening elsewhere. Like Radiohead just steals all it's ideas from Autchere, so there's no belief in that vision.

I agree, there are still "rockstars" Its just that they don't make rock music.

The Mars Volta comes to mind, somewhat old school yet they do some pretty ambitious stuff with time signatures and tempo's. Stuff that sounds a little off at first but then youre like... whoa

really, i hate when people claim Axl as visionary and Chinese Democracy as some kind of boundary pushing album thats never been done before. Its just ridiculously produced rock

there has been some bands like alice in chains, pearl jam

but Guns N' Roses were the last truerock band, Axl is the last great rockstar

Nirvana was a "true rock band"

Radiohead is more diverse & genre pushing than GNR

90s bands like AIC, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and STP were all definitely rock bands.

Why do people act like GNR is so unique and great? They were a breath of fresh air, who sounded like a new version of Aerosmith, and wrote some good songs. They weren't new or anything.

Why do people act like GNR is so unique and great? They were a breath of fresh air, who sounded like a new version of Aerosmith, and wrote some good songs. They weren't new or anything.

Exactly. And Axl is a good musician, but hardly a visionary.