Prince or Michael Jackson?

Guest Apollo

Prince or Michael Jackson  

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

n o they shouldn't Thriller is a great album. a bit overrated of course but still great. better then Chinese Democray in any case. :lol:

Not better than PR

Thank you.

I am very freaked out that so many people around here like Michael Jackson over Prince. This is deeply disturbing to me. Seriously.

Michael Jackson is a joke in every sense of the word.

Prince is a musical legend and performer in every sense of the word.

And by his own admission, one sexy motherfucker.

Edited by HoustonPam

n o they shouldn't Thriller is a great album. a bit overrated of course but still great. better then Chinese Democray in any case. :lol:

Thriller is a great album. Yes.

But ONE album shouldn't determine the outcome of a comparison between two artists.

I'm talking about a career. The topic questions wasn't who had the "best one album."

Singer, writer, producer, musician, relevance . . . .

Like sooooooooooooo many people on here have said.

Michael was a phenomonal entertainer.

Prince is a much better all-around well-rounded musical performer.

I suspect that Michael will have TONS of the "popular" song writers on his upcoming album? Timbaland and whoever all those guys are.

Meanwhile, Prince could go into a studio by HIMSELF . . . write all the lyrics, all the instrument parts . . . . and then PLAY all the instruments . . . . and then produce the album himself.

Michael will just go in and sing.

You are grotesquely underestimating Michael Jackson as a songwriter.

Here is an example of how he works in the studio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMWeJW0iTDk

Besides, fuck Thriller. Dangerous shits all over it.

Edited by IndiannaRose

Guest Apollo

But ONE album shouldn't determine the outcome of a comparison between two artists.

I'm talking about a career. The topic questions wasn't who had the "best one album."

I suspect that Michael will have TONS of the "popular" song writers on his upcoming album? Timbaland and whoever all those guys are.

Meanwhile, Prince could go into a studio by HIMSELF . . . write all the lyrics, all the instrument parts . . . . and then PLAY all the instruments . . . . and then produce the album himself.

You are grotesquely underestimating Michael Jackson as a songwriter.

Here is an example of how he works in the studio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMWeJW0iTDk

Besides, fuck Thriller. Dangerous shits all over it.

I do agree with you. MJ could write a good song.

But (imo) he really hasn't written anything relevant in what - 15 years?

And on this comeback album, I would bet money he has a slew of of the popular hit writers working with him. I only did a one page search and this was on the first page:

++++++++++Michael Jackson, who asked Ne-Yo to write songs for his comeback album. "Yeah, Michael's putting together a new album, and I'm helping him out with it," he confirmed.

"He (Jackson) said he had a very high appreciation for my appreciation for melody. His music is all about the melody, and that's the only sort of real direction he gave me: 'Just make sure the song is as melodic as possible. I want to get back to that.'" Jackson apparently also gave some instructions on subject matter for lyrics, but, Ne-Yo said, "it was very much keep it to yourself." At this point, Ne-Yo has written a number of tracks, which he submits to Jackson as MP3s via e-mail; then, Ne-Yo said, "he'll call me back and say, 'I really like song No. 3. Song No. 4, the hook could be stronger. Song No. 1, change the first verse. Okay, bye.' Click. And then I redo them and he's like, 'Okay, they're perfect. Send me more.' So I don't know what he's keeping, what he's getting rid of, what he's recording." ++++++++++++++

Edited by Apollo

if you read this thread correctly most people vote for prince because of the cheesy Purple Rain album. It's the same thing. But it's simply not true that Michael Jackson is not a great songwriter.

if you read this thread correctly most people vote for prince because of the cheesy Purple Rain album. It's the same thing. But it's simply not true that Michael Jackson is not a great songwriter.

:question::angry:

Guest Apollo

Not true.

People have talked about the batman sound track . . . Sign of the Times . . . . . 1999 . . . . .

MJ's career is pretty much highlighted by dangerous and thriller and we are the world . . . plus his music as a child. And then of course, all the other stuff. Lisa Marie, many allegations of sexual abuse of young boys, destroying his face, turning into an absolute freak, etc.

I never said that MJ couldn't write a good pop song.

But he can't play all the instruments and produce the song like Prince can.

AND my young friend. Did you read the quote about Ne-Yo? Ne-Yo is basically writing the album for Michael.

And I would bet money that MJ will have many other contributers to his album. Timbaland and a couple other guys like that.

I'm neither young nor your friend.

People also talked about Off The Wall, Dangerous, Bad and The Jackson 5. So whats your point? People are equally talking about Purple Rain as they are about Thriller.

Your approach to the quality of a muscian is the number of instruments he plays? well then lenny kravitz is probably better then prince and michael jackson since he plays many instruments too.

that's just ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Satanisk_Slakt
Woa! 44-43 the most even poll ever!

There was a poll with Estranged vs Coma (or if it was November Rain) a year or so ago which was even up til 60 votes for each. After that I think one of them get a head by 5 or so and the thread died out.

I found it here:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showto...t=0&start=0

Estranged is ahead by two.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

Woa! 44-43 the most even poll ever!

There was a poll with Estranged vs Coma (or if it was November Rain) a year or so ago which was even up til 60 votes for each. After that I think one of them get a head by 5 or so and the thread died out.

I found it here:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showto...t=0&start=0

Estranged is ahead by two.

Hehe, I just voted there now, so it's only up by 1 ;)

I've struggled for a long time trying to understand why people think MJ is so great. He has some alright songs and I guess he's a great performer (I'm not into the choreographed stuff to be honest) but I've heard many pop songs that are better than his. Not crazy about the overall sythetic sound of the music either, maybe these are just my hangups.

Prince, I only know a few singles. He's one artist that I should check out a bit more on account of how much credit people give him.

Edited by KBear