Who else thinks that The Beatles & The Stones

Gordon Comstock

now, first of all, let me start by saying that i appreciate the contributions that both bands have made to Rock N Roll, and music in general. But the actual music, in my opinion, is not very good, considering they are thought of as gods.

anyone else share this opinion? i mean, like, the odd song here or there isnt terrible, but overall....

thoughts?

Yeah I'm pretty much the same.

Meh.........from talking to other people, reading reviews, and just basically living life.......You see both bands are thought of as Icons............but for me when I hear their music, I don't like it.

I would also add Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and The White Stripes to that list.

JMO.

Edited by SunnyDRE

The thing is compared to music these days they do not seem groundbreaking, however when they did what they did it had never been done before and as a result they are looked as a band who are icons as they did something noone before them had done!

i actually feel the same way. i've tried getting into both bands, and they did nothing for me. like you said, one or two songs are good, but that's about it. i realize that both are extremely influential and important to music, but their songs just don't seem that great to me.

agreed.

now, first of all, let me start by saying that i appreciate the contributions that both bands have made to Rock N Roll, and music in general. But the actual music, in my opinion, is not very good, considering they are thought of as gods.

anyone else share this opinion? i mean, like, the odd song here or there isnt terrible, but overall....

thoughts?

I think it comes down to your musical taste. You think DJ Ashba, Slipknot, and Marilyn Manson are awesome, right? Pick up Sticky Fingers. It's pretty much the greatest rock n' roll album ever recorded.

Edited by Johnny Blaze

The thing is compared to music these days they do not seem groundbreaking, however when they did what they did it had never been done before and as a result they are looked as a band who are icons as they did something noone before them had done!

im very aware of that, which is why i said that i appreciate the contributions they made... however, far better musicians have come and gone and not been nearly as recognised as either of these bands.... its just like, yea they started it, but that was forever ago! like, if they came out now, no chance in hell they'd be big. the music itself is just something i could never get into. i dont see why people consider either band to be the greatest of all time, since as i stated earlier, better musicians have come along....

when you're a kid you love cheeseburgers, hot dogs, bubble gum and soda pop.

when you grow up you like calamari, rare prime rib, horseradish and double-bock beer.

same with music. right now you're used to whatever it is you've grown up on. eventually your tastes will change.

you'll probably still have a fondness for your musical gummy bears, but overall you'll move on to different stuff.

give it some time, eventually you'll "get it". or should i say, it will "get" you!

Edited by artfromtex

when you're a kid you love cheeseburgers, hot dogs, bubble gum and soda pop.

when you grow up you like calamari, rare prime rib, horseradish and double-bock beer.

same with music. right now you're used to whatever it is you've grown up on. eventually your tastes will change.

you'll probably still have a fondness for your musical gummy bears, but overall you'll move on to different stuff.

give it some time, eventually you'll "get it". or should i say, it will "get" you!

Well said!

I find their music amazing, though I can see how some people not used to their style would find them boring.

I think both bands have quite a few amazing and timeless songs. I don't personally find either boring, though they also have a lot of music I don't care for. But the sheer number of quality tracks makes up for that.

I do find a lot of '50s and '60s music boring though. It just feels kind of dull and lifeless, and it probably has everything to do with the fact that music has progressed into something a little more complex than those songs and you can't erase that from your mind.

What the Beatles and The Stones could do is create fantastic melodies in their music and vocals that were so incredible they really just took over each song. The production values by today's comparison are lacking, but it doesn't really matter because the music is that good and still holds up today. I'd say the same for the Beach Boys, and also for Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, and others - unlike the Beatles, Beach Boys, and early Stones though they had the production values as well, which kind of gave things that extra kick in the ass. When a song is just okay and feels of a certain era that is when you get dated rather than timeless.

The Beatles are, indisputable, the best band ever. So no, not me.
Same, in regard to both. I can see why some people wouldn't enjoy either, but the foundation of what we listen to at least somewhat originated with either of those bands. Or some of the others listed in the thread.

Yeah I'm pretty much the same.

Meh.........from talking to other people, reading reviews, and just basically living life.......You see both bands are thought of as Icons............but for me when I hear their music, I don't like it.

JMO.

how could you put The White Stripes in the same category as Pink Floyd and Zeppelin?

The Stones, Let it Bleed and Beggars Banquet albums are amazing. Must say that the later stuff they have done i'm not impressed with. Beatles songs are good, particularly when you consider the time that this sound was all done in.

These two bands alone have influenced hundreds of artists and bands from all sorts of genres.

I can understand why these two bands music might not be to someones tastes but only because thats with all bands. Also for a GNR fan to not particularly dig or get the stones is kinda odd, cause GNRs sound is hugely influenced by the stones.

U2 are the most overrated 'big' band for me that i suppose can be lumped in with the beatles and stones category. I can't stand U2, one or two of the early tracks i liked but never a whole album and everything they have released since mid 90s have been shocking and boring IMO.

It all comes down to personal tastes in the end.

Wow...just wow...

Can't agree with you. Abbey Road, White Album, Revolver, and Rubber soul are AMAZING albums. Not only do I appreciate what they did, but I thoroughly enjoy the music.

As for the the Stones, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, & Exile On Main Street are three of the greatest rock & roll albums ever.

I enjoy the Beatles far more than Guns N' Roses, Stones might be tied.

I think the thing is you don't "get them." Maybe you will some day, but if not you're really missing out. Especially on the Beatles, some of their stuff is just so incredible. I get chills whenever I listen to "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" and "Happiness Is A Warm Gun"

Edited by mr. orangestone

I think the thing is you don't "get them." Maybe you will some day, but if not you're really missing out. Especially on the Beatles, some of their stuff is just so incredible. I get chills whenever I listen to "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" and "Happiness Is A Warm Gun"
Now we're talking. Happiness Is A Warm Gun was the song that got me turned onto the Beatles and is still one of my favorite Lennon songs, either solo or with the Beatles. But I could understand why someone who doesn't 'get' the Beatles wouldn't appreciate I Want You as much, for example.
The Stones, Let it Bleed and Beggars Banquet albums are amazing. Must say that the later stuff they have done i'm not impressed with. Beatles songs are good, particularly when you consider the time that this sound was all done in.
Yeah, almost everything the Stones have done after 1980 hasn't been that great. I agree about the Beatles as well. That's something I was always impressed with.

I'm not even gonna get into a big fucking essay about how much I disagree.

Magical Mystery Tour, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Revolver, The White Album, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile On Main Street, Shine A Light, Help, Some Girls, Beggar's Banquet etc etc etc...

I can see why some wouldn't be so keen on them though, nobody likes the same stuff.

Edited by Snake Eyes

I definitely don't agree with you, I love both bands although I prefer the Stones. There contributions to music, culture or whatever is largely irrelevant when it comes to actually enjoying the music but to me their music is just amazing... The Stones' four album run between '68 and '72 is the strongest of all time (imo) and most of their stuff recorded during the '60s and '70s is great. The Beatles released an insane amount of good/great/amazing music in less than ten years, my personal favourites are Rubber Soul, Revolver and A Hard Day's Night, although I used to prefer their later, more rock.