Green Day Rips off Full House

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Fuckin hell... :lol:

Come on over and hang out for a few beers some time.

I'll get the vinyl collection out (that I was putting together before some of your parents were even married).

I can play you damn near the entire "Green Day" catalogue by the original bands.

I had a right chuckle when I heard Green Day blow a wad of bubble gum in my face when they asked me if I knew the enemy.

In 1980, D.O.A. put out an album called Something Better Change.If it's not in your "punk collection"...your collection is incomplete.

Second song on the album is called

It' not sing songy bubble gum fun....but Joey Shithead did it up right,30 fuckin years ago.

Edited by zint61

I'll get the vinyl collection out (that I was putting together before some of your parents were even married).

I can play you damn near the entire "Green Day" catalogue by the original bands.

I had a right chuckle when I heard Green Day blow a wad of bubble gum in my face when they asked me if I knew the enemy.

In 1980, D.O.A. put out an album called Something Better Change.If it's not in your "punk collection"...your collection is incomplete.

It' not sing songy bubble gum fun....but Joey Shithead did it up right,30 fuckin years ago.

Wow, nice find :o

Guest deleted_19765

There are only so many chords and so many combinations of sounds available, and there is an inheritance involved in the creation of all music. Anyone with a vinyl collection extensive as yours should know that by now.

And by the way, I don't think its worth condemning Green Day for making popular "bubble gum" music and selling millions after they worked their asses off for around two decades and kept Punk on people's minds pretty much single handedly for much of that time. I think D.O.A. would have been glad to sell as much.

Guest deleted_19765
There are only so many chords and so many combinations of sounds available

Oh well that explains it!!

:lol:

Yes, it does. And even if it didn't, there's nothing wrong with borrowing a lyrical motif or riff. I don't know why its only rock fans that become so crazy over this. Quotes are commonplace in all types of music and always have been. Its not like you can write from zero.

Guest deleted_19765
there's nothing wrong with borrowing a lyrical motif or riff

..or a movement

That kind of talk is for romancers more than musicians. Green Day makes records according to their influences and can dress and act the way they like for all I care, as if "Punk" as a label hasn't been diffused beyond belief by now anyway. Think about Chuck Berry and Journey being "Rock" artists, in one way or another. There is no fair, correct, or righteous way, there is music and its listeners.

That kind of talk is for romancers more than musicians.

That kind of talk is from someone who was part of what was going down back in '78.

I saw the whole thing play itself out...before Green Day was even a band.

Green Day can dress and act the way they like for all I care

...it's warmed up pizza man

Think about Chuck Berry and Journey being "Rock" artists, in one way or another. There is no fair, correct, or righteous way

Green Day is a "rock" band...got it.

So hang on...I'm sure they're coming to the local mega sports complex near you soon!

there is music and its listeners.

And there's detractors.

Punk was about the exact opposite in regards to everything bands like Journey represented.

You were in an extreme minority and shunned by 99% of the population on planet Earth.

But you held that badge with pride and honour because you knew you part of something that was far more righteous and worth persuing even at the expense of losing old friends and gaining the scorn of family,teachers,neighbours and bosses...not to mention passers-by (in droves).

You sought out like minded souls and gathered in the shittiest pisshole bars in the city that would tolerate you.

Even they were not safe havens...you had to endure the local rockers and off duty army goons who would come in looking to crack some skulls of those "fuckin slam-bang punkers".

But you survived that shit,and if you felt ambitious you participated.You formed your own band and poured your ideals and frustrations into music written to the best of your abilities...no rock star skill levels to have to measure up to.You were accepted simply for participating.

The lucky bands were able to save up a few bucks here and there from gigs...sometimes for a year or two.Just enough to be able to swing some time in a local studio to lay down a couple of tracks and get 500 copies pressed.

Then you gigged some more to raise the money to get a cover printed...which you sat around over the weekend with your band mates and glued together yourself,and inserted the sleeves and the disc itself.

You sold some copies for a few bucks at the local indy stores...enough to break even (because you ALWAYS went over budget) and the rest of the copies you gave to friends and fans that were so dirt poor that they couldn't afford to buy it...if they wanted to eat that week.

And the sense of pride and accomplishment from achieving even that feat was monumental,considering the music industry essentially wanted nothing to do with you anyway.

But that didn't matter...venting your fucking spleen in the local pub was satisfaction enough...you knew it really wasn't going to go much further than that for the majority of bands anyway.

But it was fresh and it was new and you were a part of new ideas and new ideals.

And you if subscribed to it you were ostracized from high school to the unemployment office and every point in between.

Cops used to drag you into the alley and fuck you over if you had spiked hair.

But you took it...you smirked...and you went right back out with your spiked hair the next day.

Nowadays "Brandon" the bank teller has spiked hair and no one blinks an eye.

So you go ahead and believe whatever you want about what is and isn't "punk"...I should give a flying fuck.

Guest deleted_19765

A lot of that had to do with musicians as professionals disintegrating as well. Nowadays people don't expect musicians to be paid, where do you think that started? I don't think hardly playing your instruments is something to be proud of in particular either. If what's on the record is good, that's what counts, however it was achieved. And the more it sells and the more people it reaches, all the better for that act. You may have starved and been persecuted voluntarily, but I'm sure you wouldn't have minded hitting it big either if possible.

But let's talk about Journey more, because they represent a little something more than what needed to have an opposite in rock at that time. Journey were veteran musicians and professionals who also worked their asses off and took a few albums before they found their way to a million selling sound. That's another half of the American dream that is worth caring about, and there is no difference between a kid getting off on "Anarchy in the U.K." or "Don't Stop Believin'". There really isn't, except by an unfair insertion of politics into art. It is a matter of romance, from either view, and obviously experience can create a lot of romance on your part. As long as trends in music have met time they have changed and been appropriated more widely, its always been the same story. It happened to the hippies before you.

Green Day also spent some time making indies, and I don't think they should be ashamed for loving the Buzzcocks and such and making music influenced by that sound and image. Its too bad for you because Green Day right now are one of the last champions of Album Rock as it swiftly disappears.

A lot of that had to do with musicians as professionals disintegrating as well.

It had to do with the spirit of punk rock man.It's what it was all about.

It was for the kids by the kids.

You could play a one note solo,it didn't fucking matter.

It was rock n roll stripped down to the bare bones.

Ya know??...back to square one,with a snarkier attitude.

It was DIY...the "wail factor" meant nothing.

It wasn't about level of skill or professional abilities.

It was about the willingness to participate because you believed in it and felt like giving the can a kick.

No one was there to say you couldn't...no one was judging what you brought to the table on how close your finger dexterity matched Jimmy Page.

That sort of shit was just not on the radar.

And that was unfucking heard of up until that point.

Nowadays people don't expect musicians to be paid, where do you think that started?

The PC

The ability to steal your fucking music off the internet changed everything

Please...get real.

I don't think hardly playing your instruments is something to be proud of in particular either.

Then you sir,have no real clue as to what punk rock was all about.

There were kids who had never played an instrument before who felt motivated.

They acquired some cheap gear and hashed it out in the basement...some hit the stage barely 3 months after picking up an instrument for the first time.

And it was some of the most glorious shit I've ever heard live.

It was lightning in a bottle man...music for kids who couldn't relate to "cupcakes on silver mountains".

It wasn't acceptable,it wasn't allowed and it was the god damnedest coolest shit to come down the pipe since Eddie Cochrane and Gene Vincent.

It wasn't music for the football team.

It wasn't music that you had to listen to if you wanted to hang with Kaitlin and Kyle and the cool kids at school.

It was for the disaffected,it was for the bored kids on the sideline who didn't have a voice...of their own or in music for that matter.

Journey wasn't cutting it for everyone.

Something crept out of the alleys and basically said "psssst,hey kid...over here".

You gravitated to it because it felt it right.

It was something you could identify with...finally!

If what's on the record is good, that's what counts, however it was achieved. And the more it sells and the more people it reaches, all the better for that act.

Again...it's lost on you.

It wasn't about numbers.It wasn't about making the "act" big.

It was about having a voice and participating.

It was about being.

You may have starved and been persecuted voluntarily, but I'm sure you wouldn't have minded hitting it big either if possible.

I don't know one band (personally) that ever talked about playing hockey arenas.

The big concern was getting on the bill with bands you held in high regard.

That was considered the highest honour...to share the stage with a band that you held in the highest regard.

THAT was considered making the "act" big.

Recognition from your peers.

It was that real man...I shit you not.

But let's talk about Journey more, because they represent a little something more than what needed to have an opposite in rock at that time. Journey were veteran musicians and professionals who also worked their asses off and took a few albums before they found their way to a million selling sound.

And to many kids,they were just another band on the landscape that sounded just like another band on the landscape...boring as fuck.

For every hundred kids in high school digging Journey,Kansas and Eddie Money...there was the non existent kid who detested that shit.

And those were the kids that Johhny Rotten grabbed by the filthy leather collars and screamed "RIIIIIGHT NOOOOOOOW" then fucking cackled with glee.

It just instantly smacked your brain open and you knew you were home.

That's another half of the American dream that is worth caring about

But punks didn't care.

Seriously!

It wasn't about living the dream,it was about waking up from the nightmare.

and there is no difference between a kid getting off on "Anarchy in the U.K." or "Don't Stop Believin'".

:lol: ...no wait.... :facepalm: ...no wait... :huh: .....ok ok :lol:

Oh dude...trust me...there was.

A BIG fuckin difference.

I really hate saying this (seriously)...but I guess you had to be there.

It's one thing to read about it and generalize your views on it,but if it was your living breathing reality...you understand the difference implicitly!

You stated that "As long as trends in music have met time they have changed and been appropriated more widely, its always been the same story.".

Milked for profit is what you're saying essentially.

Happens to every good thing that comes along.

But you know what happens generally?

The good thing plays itself out.

It happens,it's real,it's original,it's lightning in a bottle,it means something.

Then the leeches move in.

"It happened to the hippies before me?"

Yeah and it played itself out didn't it..

The real movement.

It happened,it was real,it was original,it was lightning in a bottle,it meant something.

But again...as fond as I am of that era,I wouldn't think much of a bunch of guys in 2009 dressed like it was 1967 singing about purple marshmallow clouds,in the hockey arenas of America.

Green Day also spent some time making indies, and I don't think they should be ashamed for loving the Buzzcocks and such and making music influenced by that sound and image.

It was already played out dude.

The Buzzcocks "and such" already happened.

It was about bringing your own shit to the table.

Its too bad for you because Green Day right now are one of the last champions of Album Rock as it swiftly disappears.

You just called them Album Rock....thank you.

For all your "i was there" experience, you miss the point entirely, by saying what is and what is not allowed, you have turned into the bitter old hasbeen, the kind you used to rally against.

You fail to realise that GD toured around the country and played in all kinds of dives, whilst barely making a cent i might add, in a crummy old van barely fit to drive as far back as 1989 when they were 17 yr old kids. If they want to make 'big' sounding rock records 20 years down the line, i think they have earned the right to.

Its not as if they pretend to be anything other than a rock band these days anyway, correct me if im wrong, but i dont see them going around claiming to be 'hardcore' or obeying the laws of PR 101, they never did.

However, there's no denying what they did for their own local punk community in Berkeley, back when they were on Lookout records. They brought punk rock n roll INFLUENCED music back into a new generation of kids who perhaps otherwise would never have even thought about exploring punk rock in any shape or form, and they did that simply through being a decent hard working honest touring band, that has to be worth something.

At the end of the day, they have never claimed to be original and have always wore their influences on their sleeve.

I dont think they would even try and pretend to be relevant in the same way as the bands some 12 years before them were, in the US and of course, the UK. But where does it say that they can't be influenced by those said bands? imagine if The Beatles were not allowed to be influenced by Chuck Berry? the history of popular music as we know it would be very different.

Guest deleted_19765

You refuse to acknowledge that all musicians have to work with is their inheritance from previous music, if you don't get that, or if you don't get that there really is no difference when a song sounds good to one person, then this is useless. If I want to dance or drive fast or get high to Journey or The Sex Pistols there really is no difference. Its all music and art dependent on my own personal reaction.

Just because something was already "played out" according to your judgment doesn't make it a crime to be influenced by it. How about Zeppelin and Jimi and Beck using blues songs from up to forty years ago when they started? Sound waves never die and there is no square one.

Punk did things that were unheard of at the time, sure, and we can all remember it fondly for that but really, were we supposed to forget it happened entirely and disallow kids from enjoying Punk influenced albeit mainstream music? You don't have to buy the record.

People stealing music on the internet doesn't have to do with venues expecting to pay me and four other bands nothing for hard work and drink traffic they benefit from. It does have to do with a certain aspect of the Punk ethos that made money a non-concern. "You need money? Uh, Don't you love music?" Yes, but I'd also like it to be my job. This is a poisonous attitude that's going on today and musician is no longer a profession anymore because of it. Maybe I had to be there but I know parts of the Punk movement are causing damage today. This is beside the point though.

For all your "i was there" experience, you miss the point entirely, by saying what is and what is not allowed, you have turned into the bitter old hasbeen, the kind you used to rally against.

Not bitter dude...highly amused.

And hey...there's "hasbeen" and "neverwas"...which one do you qualify as?

But yes..let's completely erase my participation in the punk movement some 30 years ago so you can conveniently champion the cause of defining just what your favorite band qualifies as.

...nice

You fail to realise that GD toured around the country and played in all kinds of dives, whilst barely making a cent i might addin a crummy old van barely fit to drive

Maybe Journey did too!

as far back as 1989

WOW!...as fas back as all that huh?

See...that's where the "I was there" thing keeps rearing its ugly head much to your dismay.

I watched the entire movement fizzle out....from the viewpoint of a fan,from the viewpoint of a participant...from the viewpoint of the bands....from the viewpoint of the music.

Nothing new was being brought to the table.

The whole thing was played out by then.

You have seen American Hardcore...right??

It was over...done.

Anything after that was the act of bands aping the sound of a lifestyle that had come and gone.

Punk was dead...regardless of how you try to spin it.

"Punk" didn't win grammies and tour hockey arenas with pyro.

If they want to make 'big' sounding rock records 20 years down the line, i think they have earned the right to.

Big-sounding-rock....

Now was that so hard??

Its not as if they pretend to be anything other than a rock band these days anyway

Right...they can see that.I can see that.

Why resist it?

They brought punk rock n roll INFLUENCED music back into a new generation of kids who...

...who watered it down and made it safe and palpable for mass marketing

Which is about as far from the real point punk rock was all about as it could get.

perhaps otherwise would never have even thought about exploring punk rock in any shape or form

Perhaps it would have seen a renaissance as rock and roll's dirty little secret and been there in the shithole clubs and back alleys for the disaffected youth who could find little else of value to believe in....instead of being sing songy fluff songs that Britney and Brianne sing along to during half time at the high school football game.

Don't know about you,but I know which scenario rings true to me.

imagine if The Beatles were not allowed to be influenced by Chuck Berry

The Beatles took that influence and made it into something of their own.

I can play you plenty of Beatles songs that don't sound like Chuck Berry clones.

They progressed past being a Chuck Berry tribute act.