Hey Jude vs. All The Young Dudes

Gallagher Rose

Hey Jude vs. All The Young Dudes  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

All The Young Dudes, though Hey Jude is one of a handful of Beatles songs I like.

All The Young Dudes

But I prefer the Dickinson version:

Agreed, I consider the Bruce Dickinson version the best cover of all time. It's absolutely perfect for his voice, and the way he sings it and the band and everything, it's truly a perfect song with Bruce.

All The Young Dudes, though Hey Jude is one of a handful of Beatles songs I like.
All The Young Dudes

Agreed, I consider the Bruce Dickinson version the best cover of all time. It's absolutely perfect for his voice, and the way he sings it and the band and everything, it's truly a perfect song with Bruce.

shame when he intro's it on the concert video he says it's by "somebody.... probably Alice Cooper" :question:

All the Young Dudes is one of my favorite songs, and Bowie's decision to let Mott the Hoople record it (as well as Suffragette City, which they rejected) has fascinated me for years. Bowie wasn't an unknown artist looking for a big break in 1972, so I've never understood why he would be willing to spread the creative wealth so casually, as it were. Perhaps I'm making a much bigger deal than what this discussion merits, but I'd assume most would think a musician naturally covets songs they've written that are so distinctly good. And here's Bowie tossing one to the wind as if it's not quite up to his standards. Was he so certain of his future that he was perfectly content in giving away a masterpiece? I just don't understand it at all..

-Kickingthehabit

All The Young Dudes

I agree. Great cover. Think I'm going to Tattooed Millionaire right now.

All the Young Dudes is one of my favorite songs, and Bowie's decision to let Mott the Hoople record it (as well as Suffragette City, which they rejected) has fascinated me for years. Bowie wasn't an unknown artist looking for a big break in 1972, so I've never understood why he would be willing to spread the creative wealth so casually, as it were. Perhaps I'm making a much bigger deal than what this discussion merits, but I'd assume most would think a musician naturally covets songs they've written that are so distinctly good. And here's Bowie tossing one to the wind as if it's not quite up to his standards. Was he so certain of his future that he was perfectly content in giving away a masterpiece? I just don't understand it at all..

-Kickingthehabit

I know, it is truly unbelievable. He must have really seen a lot of potential in Mott.

-Kickingthehabit

I know, it is truly unbelievable. He must have really seen a lot of potential in Mott.

I thought Mott was like his favorite band or something and gave them the song hoping it'd be a hit so they'd stay together (as they were about to break-up). At least I think I read that somewhere.

All The Young Dudes

shame when he intro's it on the concert video he says it's by "somebody.... probably Alice Cooper" :question:

Never quite understood that either, he very clearly knew it was by Bowie, as he mentions Bowie at other shows. Maybe it was just his humor or something kicking in...

All The Young Dudes

I agree. Great cover. Think I'm going to Tattooed Millionaire right now.

It's hands down his best solo album. I mean, they're all great (except for Balls To Picasso), but I wished he had done one or two more classic rock albums, it was a nice breath of fresh air before he pursued prog metal on Accident Of Birth and The Chemical Wedding. Skunkworks is a great album in it's own sense, but it's just not right for Bruce. I've always though of Tattooed Millionaire as an extension of his Samson stuff.

-Kickingthehabit

In 1972 Mott the Hoople had decided to call it a day, they had made some brilliant albums but with little commercial success. Pete Watts, (bassist) was on the phone to Bowie about a job when Bowie said that he was so into MTH and couldn't bear to see them break up. He first offered them Suffragette City, which they turned down..then he came up with Dudes - which they made their own...if you listen to Bowies original version, it's just got no Oomph, but Ian Hunter owned it. I really don't think it would have been a masterpiece without the attitude that Mott the Hoople put into it. Remember they were at the time considered a bit dangerous, having been banned from the Albert Hall and getting all further rock gigs cancelled there.

Oh, I forgot to vote - ALL THE YOUNG DUDES 100%. Can't even compare the two really - one is about social breakdown and exclusion and the other is just - dirge....