Rip Offs and Copy Cats

roadkilled

Ive been coming across so many ripped off tunes, and Im starting to wonder if its just impossible to create music as great as it might have been several years ago? I believe that everything amazing has already been done, and artists today are not too original. Perhaps they are trying to recreate the messege in the same manner. I dont know, Post your copy cat videos, im very interested in finding out as to why people reuse anothers work.

Edited by roadkilled

I don't buy the whole "well theres only so many chord progressions and melodies out there to use", seriously, anyone who knows anything about music knows thats total bullshit. Maybe if you limit yourself to 4/4, but thats still a huge maybe. The art of sound is just as infinite as visual art, there's no end to what we can create and appreciate. But that sure as hell doesn't mean that the coincidence of two musicians from totally different ballparks writing the same melody is impossible, if you listen to any of the post rock instrumental bands I guarantee you'll hear something you've heard somewhere else before, but it doesn't mean they're ripping anybody off. For some reason, a lot of those acts can get away with sharing the same cliche chord motifs, how many times have you guys heard the two chord progression where it plays one chord for a measure then drops 2 full steps and plays that chord for a measure? Its everywhere. Why? Because its fucking simple as hell and it just comes up in a lot of jams, you would only think twice about it if the accompanying melody was exactly the same as something else. It isn't like the first guy who ever played that 2 chord thing is suing everybody for copyright infringement, its just something so common because its so simple and anybody who jams will stumble across it and continue to play it cause "oh that sounds cool". You know a musician is good when they can break away from these "beginner cliches" as I call them and still come up with something that can get people's attention, originality is the struggle for any serious musician.

As for people who actually rip off other artists, fuck em, thats all you can really say, they're just scum, but I don't think as many musicians are as guilty of this as you might believe with all these blatantly similar songs out there. Most musicians are dedicated and very serious about what they do and none of them want to be coined copy cats for something as stupid as that

Edited by sweetness