Kevin Skwerl appreciation thread

star

I think we'd have waited even longer for Chinese had Cogil not leaked those 9 tracks

I also remember our Kev saying that those songs were just a selection of many, many finished gnr tracks.....

Regarding what he said about them going through numerous discs of music, other than Scraped, This I Love, and Catcher, I think every other song was meant to be on Chinese Democracy. Perhaps they sorted through a few unheard tracks trying to decide what the last 3 tracks on the album would be to make it a coherent album, but you can bet that every song that leaked in full was meant to be on the album.

Edit: That's not to say that there aren't many, many other GNR tracks out there. I just think that the album we got was very calculated and was NOT the product of executives picking which songs were their favorites from numerous discs.

Edited by sofine11

I appreciate the guy who sent those files to Kevin.

was a name ever exposed?

Skwerl mentioned on this board, that if he ever did disclose a name, that someone in the GNR Camp, would very embarassed.

That's news to me, don't remember reading that before. I thought they came from a friend or something.

Skwerl may have been bullshitting there.

Out of interest, why would he? What's the point?

Nothing to gain out of lying about it surely (?)

There are several reasons he could have lied about it.

I imagine the person who sent Skwerl that zip file was a close personal friend / family member / co-worker of his, and he wants to protect that person.

Saying that "if he ever did disclose a name, that someone in the GNR Camp, would very embarassed" is a good way to send a message to GNR and others that they shouldn't pursue this line of questioning any further.

without the leaks (all of them, not just skwerl), we'd have never known how the songs were supposed to sound like, as opposed to how they got released in the final CD.

True. I'd already burned that old mix of IRS into my head long before the release, and still much prefer it.

Pretty much ruined the release for myself by having the leaks on repeat for a year or more before CD dropped. And it was my own fault - can't say I wasn't warned! But the leaks didn't and couldn't spoil the music, which I'm still enjoying now.

If you feel the album was "ruined" by leaks, that's your own fault for allowing the leaks to ruin things. Nobody forced you to listen to them, and nobody forced you to listen to them so much than it ruined the final product. As for me, I downloaded all the leaks, and loved every second of them, and it didn't hinder my enjoyment of the final album at all.

If you feel the album was "ruined" by leaks, that's your own fault for allowing the leaks to ruin things. Nobody forced you to listen to them, and nobody forced you to listen to them so much than it ruined the final product. As for me, I downloaded all the leaks, and loved every second of them, and it didn't hinder my enjoyment of the final album at all.

We're saying the same thing, just more/less abrasively.

I don't think it hurt sales all that much but it sure "dulled" MY exploration of the music upon first listen. If there's going to be a new album, I can assure you that MY sweet ass won't be listening to leaks again. I want that "new car smell" when I get in for the first spin around the block lol.

But you got the new car smell when you first listened the leaks.

True...but the majority of the album was anti-climatic when I listened to it and that sucked.

I don't think it hurt sales all that much but it sure "dulled" MY exploration of the music upon first listen. If there's going to be a new album, I can assure you that MY sweet ass won't be listening to leaks again. I want that "new car smell" when I get in for the first spin around the block lol.

True...but the majority of the album was anti-climatic when I listened to it and that sucked.

You can only blame yourself for that.

Did I say my dulled CD experience was his fault?.......

Yes you did. I bolded it for you. Well, that is partially an assumption on my part since I assumed your comment was in the context of the thread. If you comment was out of the context of the thread then naturally I would have misunderstood it.

Yes you did. I bolded it for you. Well, that is partially an assumption on my part since I assumed your comment was in the context of the thread. If you comment was out of the context of the thread then naturally I would have misunderstood it.

What I meant was....that by listening to said leaks, Chinese Democracy lost alot of "wow factor" when I first spun the thing. I wasn't blaming this guy, just expressing what impact they had on my experience. All you have to do is read the very next sentence after the one you bolded to understand this.

Chinese Democracy lost alot of "wow factor" when I first spun the thing. I wasn't blaming this guy, just expressing what impact they had on my experience. All you have to do is read the very next sentence after the one you bolded to understand this.

It lost the "wow factor" each year the release was delayed, by the time Skwerl leaked it, it had become a joke

Chinese Democracy lost alot of "wow factor" when I first spun the thing. I wasn't blaming this guy, just expressing what impact they had on my experience. All you have to do is read the very next sentence after the one you bolded to understand this.

It lost the "wow factor" each year the release was delayed, by the time Skwerl leaked it, it had become a joke

^ This.

There are some songs we still haven't heard yet (like "Atlas Shrugged") that were recorded in 1999 ... that's 11 years ago!

Free the music Axl.

If more songs do leak I will make an effort to avoid them, if that means I have to stop coming here then so be it. I want to go into the next album completely blank.

you won't be able to do it :thumbsup:

+1

..as any leaks (could) mean years, and years, and years, and years, before the finished product hits the stores

Some people here would say it might have the reverse effect.

If more songs do leak I will make an effort to avoid them, if that means I have to stop coming here then so be it. I want to go into the next album completely blank.

+1

..as any leaks (could) mean years, and years, and years, and years, before the finished product hits the stores

You underestimate my determination! The thing is last time we started to get leaks on some sort of consistant basis the album was also on the verge of release so i'm figuring that if any should come out it's because the person holding it has got wind of a possible release and wants to get it out there before it becomes useless to him. If something leaks but nothing comes from the Guns camp concerning an album or even if a proper rumour doesn't surface then I will give a listen.

I will set up a support group for anyone who wants to hold off listening with me :lol:

+1

You underestimate my determination! The thing is last time we started to get leaks on some sort of consistant basis the album was also on the verge of release so i'm figuring that if any should come out it's because the person holding it has got wind of a possible release and wants to get it out there before it becomes useless to him. If something leaks but nothing comes from the Guns camp concerning an album or even if a proper rumour doesn't surface then I will give a listen.

I will set up a support group for anyone who wants to hold off listening with me :lol:

While I respect your intentions, I think we both know that when there's a 50 page thread full of people blowing their loads over The General if it leaks, you might just hit that download button. ;)