This is Guns N' Roses-here's why.

bax

This is Guns N' Roses. Like it or not.

For now.

Thankfully when the Hall of Fame comes calling in due time it will be for the Appetite Line-up, and there is nothing Axl or any message board posses will be able to do about it as it will be Axl/Slash/Izzy/Duff and Steven that will be immortalized for all-time as the definitive GNR line-up.

Don't you think Matt will be in there as well?

This is Guns N' Roses. Like it or not.

Denying "Chinese Democracy" as a Guns N' Roses material is like deny that the sky is blue.

It's not a band material at all. Forget about the name that album was not made by a band.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guns always had diiferent members, the original GN'R was Axl, Izzy, Ole Beirch, Tracci Gunns, and Rod Garder. This band always had line-up changes from day one. Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven is the most recoginizable one. After Steven was fired, I don't think people were saying this isn't Guns N' Roses, then Izzy leaves and it's still the same, no bitching over the name. Now it's Axl, Slash, Duff, Gilby Clarke, Matt Sorum and Dizzy Reed. People still didn't care about the name. After '94 everything changes. Axl gets new recruits after his old members leave to keep the band giong, returns at Rock In Rio 2001 and people start bitching about the name. You know why, because of Axl. 'Axl this...", "Axl that....', "I hate Axl" is the reason why they don't think the band is GN'R. They think they group has "hired guns" where the whole history had "hired guns' ( Slash, Duff, Steven, Dizzy, Gilby, and Matt) If Slash had the name, people would care, but not as much as when Axl has the name. Put people have to realize this IS Guns N' Roses.

Dave Mustaine is the only long term member of Megadeth and i don't here people bitching about the name. KISS have two members wearing make-up of two old members, I don't think many KISS fans are bitching like, "this isn't KISS, thier hired members, their disgracing the legacy." Dave Coverdale is the only long term member of Whitesnake, I doubt people care about the name. But Axl Rose, "he should keep the name," "it's an Axl Rose Solo Project", "hired guns suck." Maybe if they put their personal stuff aside and accually listen to the music, they will realize this is Guns N Roses. Maybe not the one you remember, but if you stop living in the past and put personal hatred aside, you'll realize this is Guns N' Roses.

How's this: GNR is Axl and Slash, without one of the two, it isn't GNR. And nobody says anything about Mustaine because nobody gives a shit about Megadeth. Besides, the band he was a part of went on to be, well, the biggest act in rock/metal.

So Duff when Slash left GNR was a member of the Axl Rose Project???

Your splitting hairs now, that period of time was a complete mess, they were all on their way out it was a matter of time. Duff never soldiered on and began making newer music with Axl and whoever else was in the 'band' at that time. Then my statement would still hold water - nobody's really interested in Axl unless he's with Slash.

I have listened to Guns since I have been a kid and had always dreamed of seeing them live. I finally had the chance in 06 at the Hammerstein shows. When I got back , I still remember people telling me that "you didnt see the real GNR". I remember that bugged the crap out of me. These people that Axl hired are not just a bunch of highschool kids. The "new" lineup has poured their heart and soul on making CD and touring behind it. Guns is not just any type of band, we are talking about the Yankees of the music business (I do not like the Yankees!) Axl is George Steinbrenner and he hires the best musicans in the world. Some of the members of now have been there longer than the old members. I appreciate everything the old members have done to make Guns what it is today. Somewhere along the line they didnt share the same vision that Axl had and decided to move on. Axl for his love of music and the fans wanted to keep rolling with the punches and move on with GUns. So he did. And I love him for giving us the music of old and new. There is nobody that is going to convice me that is new lineup is not Guns N ROses because it is. They all share the same passion and vision that Axl has for Guns N Roses. If you dont want to accept this is Guns N Roses ,so be it. Just stop the bitching and dont try to change our minds. I think most (not everyone) people that dont see this as the real deal are living in the past and asking for an illusion, called a reunion. Its not gonna happen people! On a closing note some people have said that Axl keeps the GNR name because of the money. If he really wanted money all he would have to do is get back with the old lineup. And Iam sure they (old members) will say yes. But he rather be having fun playing with people he knows shares his vision.

The "new" lineup has poured their heart and soul on making CD and touring behind it.

Most of the "new" line-up had almost nothing to do with making the new cd in terms of writing credits. They are still just covering the work of the guys who left. Adding a few solos on top of previously finished songs here and there is nothing really.

The "new" lineup has poured their heart and soul on making CD and touring behind it.

Most of the "new" line-up had almost nothing to do with making the new cd in terms of writing credits. They are still just covering the work of the guys who left. Adding a few solos on top of previously finished songs here and there is nothing really.

Thats why I wrote making and touring. That is the key word for that highlighted part. Ron has been a member since 06. He may have no writing credits but has really put some hardcore effort in his touring and getting the Guns name out there.

Look its not the real first guns n roses of course not, most people that are into the nu gnr are huge axl fans me included, but after recent events they are tons more credible and dj ashba is a huge fact on that along with axl regaining his voice so people will start viewing these guys in a positive light. My only wish is that axl and slash would just bury the hatchet once and for all, not a reunion just say fuck we made history so we can at least be civil to each other, ...

this

indeed

Guns always had diiferent members, the original GN'R was Axl, Izzy, Ole Beirch, Tracci Gunns, and Rod Garder. This band always had line-up changes from day one. Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven is the most recoginizable one. After Steven was fired, I don't think people were saying this isn't Guns N' Roses, then Izzy leaves and it's still the same, no bitching over the name. Now it's Axl, Slash, Duff, Gilby Clarke, Matt Sorum and Dizzy Reed. People still didn't care about the name. After '94 everything changes. Axl gets new recruits after his old members leave to keep the band giong, returns at Rock In Rio 2001 and people start bitching about the name. You know why, because of Axl. 'Axl this...", "Axl that....', "I hate Axl" is the reason why they don't think the band is GN'R. They think they group has "hired guns" where the whole history had "hired guns' ( Slash, Duff, Steven, Dizzy, Gilby, and Matt) If Slash had the name, people would care, but not as much as when Axl has the name. Put people have to realize this IS Guns N' Roses.

Dave Mustaine is the only long term member of Megadeth and i don't here people bitching about the name. KISS have two members wearing make-up of two old members, I don't think many KISS fans are bitching like, "this isn't KISS, thier hired members, their disgracing the legacy." Dave Coverdale is the only long term member of Whitesnake, I doubt people care about the name. But Axl Rose, "he should keep the name," "it's an Axl Rose Solo Project", "hired guns suck." Maybe if they put their personal stuff aside and accually listen to the music, they will realize this is Guns N Roses. Maybe not the one you remember, but if you stop living in the past and put personal hatred aside, you'll realize this is Guns N' Roses.

How's this: GNR is Axl and Slash, without one of the two, it isn't GNR. And nobody says anything about Mustaine because nobody gives a shit about Megadeth. Besides, the band he was a part of went on to be, well, the biggest act in rock/metal.

Your splitting hairs now, that period of time was a complete mess, they were all on their way out it was a matter of time. Duff never soldiered on and began making newer music with Axl and whoever else was in the 'band' at that time. Then my statement would still hold water - nobody's really interested in Axl unless he's with Slash.

Take your time and maybe some day you will answer my question. I think it takes a simple yes or no. Hope to hear it from you soon!

I've been reading this thread and the arguments seem to come down to the bands evolved over time and it's still Guns N' Roses or that it changed so much by the time Slash left in 96 that the band was no longer recognizable as GN'R . I don't agree on the sports team analogy as they represent and serve the community to which they are based and named after. Sure a sports team changes players as they move on or get to old but would anyone consider this Guns N' Roses if Axl retired and the new lineup continued as GN'R with a new singer? The other argument that Axl owns the rights to the name so it must be GN'R don't hold any water with me. If Steven Adler won the lottery & bought the name off Axl would Adler's Appetite now be the one true Guns N' Roses?

For me it comes down to the input Axl had in creating the music of Guns N' Roses from the mid eighties to to the mid nineties. If he was responsible for over 50% of the music created then there's a good argument for the todays band still being called Guns N' Roses. On the other hand if Izzy,Duff,Slash & Steven combined created over 50% of the music then todays band cannot be GN'R.

Edited by Fogy Malone

Damn! :angry: Why did you say that? :anger:

Take your time and maybe some day you will answer my question. I think it takes a simple yes or no. Hope to hear it from you soon!

Ok then, yes Duff was no longer a member of a crumbling 'GNR'. It was a sinking ship for which he bailed at the last possible second when he couldn't take any more of Axl's bullshit. In fact, the day Slash left, GNR ceased to exist as the entity we knew. It was the beginning of the end yet you wouldn't have known it since Mr Rose fell off the face of the earth. The name lived on, but shouldn't have. As we all know the mid to late 90's was full of bustling activity from GNR. A single mug shot of a short-haired, botched hair transplanted Axl Rose in Arizona. Not even a live CD or interview or anything - thanks Axl!! Oh wait, his lawyers advised him not to speak for 7 years, so I guess it's ok.

If Izzy says it's not GNR, then it's not GNR

Period

What about when Axl says it's GNR?

It matters ZERO

pure opinion, backed by nada. sure, Izzy was an integral part of the band, but he didn't want to tour and walked out. What was Axl supposed to do, just call it a day? open that mind a bit if there's room, it'll brighten your day.

All lineups are Guns N' Roses to me. It's a name, who gives a fuck, just listen to the music and shut up. If a name bothers you so much that's a bit obsessive and weird.

perfect.

I see that since Madison is gone,this place is now becoming a HTGTH-like worship site.

As opposed to when Madison wasn't gone, this place was a censored anti-new GNR circlejerk.

:lol: I love how some idiots honestly believe shit like that, what a joke

To a handful of people this band is Guns N' Roses, to a greater mass of longtime GNR fans the band died years ago, most would say when Izzy left. Thats how it is and that's how it'll be.

No amount of cheesy justifications on fan forums will change that

Edited by sweetness

No, it's not. It's Axl Rose with his touring band which exist of continiously changing musicians

And it is called Guns N' Roses. That's what it says on the album, that's what it says on the concert tickets, anything else is nothing more than an argument in semantics, generally made by people who need to just accept it and move on for better or for worse

Obviously Guns N' Roses in 2010 is something completely different than it was in 1987, nobody is (or should) be arguing that, not even Axl or the people in the band make the argument that it's the same as it was. The fact remains that yes, there is a band out there called Guns N' Roses, fronted by the same person who founded the band and came up with the name, releasing music and touring.

I always laugh at the arrogance of people who think they are more of an authority on what is or isn't Guns N' Roses than Axl Rose is. Like some bitter disgruntled fan who hasn't gotten over the dissolution of the old lineup is somehow more of an authority than the guy who, again, founded the band, came up with the name, and maintains the rights to the name

No, it's not. It's Axl Rose with his touring band which exist of continiously changing musicians

And it is called Guns N' Roses. That's what it says on the album, that's what it says on the concert tickets, anything else is nothing more than an argument in semantics, generally made by people who need to just accept it and move on for better or for worse

Obviously Guns N' Roses in 2010 is something completely different than it was in 1987, nobody is (or should) be arguing that, not even Axl or the people in the band make the argument that it's the same as it was. The fact remains that yes, there is a band out there called Guns N' Roses, fronted by the same person who founded the band and came up with the name, releasing music and touring.

I always laugh at the arrogance of people who think they are more of an authority on what is or isn't Guns N' Roses than Axl Rose is. Like some bitter disgruntled fan who hasn't gotten over the dissolution of the old lineup is somehow more of an authority than the guy who, again, founded the band, came up with the name, and maintains the rights to the name

I surprised this thread had not been dumped into the Dust N' Bones section by now. There is no reason to laugh at people whom don't see the new line up as Guns N' Roses. You may see it as Guns N' Roses but I don't see it the same way. To me Slash, Duff, Adler, Sorum are just as much Guns N' Roses as Axl. There really isn't any reason to argue/counter-argue further, and there is no way those respective and respectable viewpoints will ever agree.

I hope you misspelled Izzy's name as Sorum.

I surprised this thread had not been dumped into the Dust N' Bones section by now. There is no reason to laugh at people whom don't see the new line up as Guns N' Roses. You may see it as Guns N' Roses but I don't see it the same way. To me Slash, Duff, Adler, Sorum are just as much Guns N' Roses as Axl. There really isn't any reason to argue/counter-argue further, and there is no way those respective and respectable viewpoints will ever agree.

Everyone can have their opinion, not saying otherwise, I find it ridiculously arrogant when certain people who have nothing to do with the band are so defiant and insistent that this ISN'T GNR, as though they are the foremost authority and have more say in what is/isn't GNR than the man who (once again) founded the band and came up with the name

Edited by shotgunblues1978

Everyone can have their opinion, not saying otherwise, I find it ridiculously arrogant when certain people who have nothing to do with the band are so defiant and insistent that this ISN'T GNR, as though they are the foremost authority and have more say in what is/isn't GNR than the man who (once again) founded the band and came up with the name

+ 1

Well said.

I hope you misspelled Izzy's name as Sorum.

Yes LightningBolt!! Good catch man!! :thumbsup:

Fucking Matt Sorum contributed jack-shit, in terms of writing music, to GNR. The guy's a fucking coke-head and an obnoxious fucking goof. That's my opinion. In Sorums mind, he is Guns N' Roses. In reality, he's just an average drummer that couldn't write one hit song even if his life depended on it. I wish he never got that gig because it went straight to his fucking coke-addled mind.

And yes, this stupid thread should be in the Dust N' Bones section. This old horse has been beaten to death several times over.

Please do something about this useless bullshit thread, Eric. Thank you. :sleeper:

There will always be an aggravating debate on the "real" guns n' rose because everyone's - more or less - is divided between fans of Slash and fans of Axl. The fact is the Guns N' Roses without Slash is still awesome, just with a slightly different direction. I have been an Axl fan since I started listening to Guns N' Roses - about 5-6 years ago. Also, no one will ever be satisfied; everyone's always looking for something to hate, anything. That is part of a human being. I think Chinese Democracy is a pretty damn good album, but you can't compare it to the previous albums because times, culture and music have changed. Once people realize that I'm sure they will appreciate the Chinese Democracy album.

There will always be an aggravating debate on the "real" guns n' rose because everyone's - more or less - is divided between fans of Slash and fans of Axl. The fact is the Guns N' Roses without Slash is still awesome, just with a slightly different direction. I have been an Axl fan since I started listening to Guns N' Roses - about 5-6 years ago. Also, no one will ever be satisfied; everyone's always looking for something to hate, anything. That is part of a human being. I think Chinese Democracy is a pretty damn good album, but you can't compare it to the previous albums because times, culture and music have changed. Once people realize that I'm sure they will appreciate the Chinese Democracy album.

Good point. The only thing I can see that you left out is the fact that people change over time. I think it's called "The Human Condition."

"Nothing lasts forever and we both know hearts can change."

I think that with this post from shotgunblues1978 the thread must come to an end!