This is Guns N' Roses-here's why.

bax

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it still GNR when Adler got the boot? Of course it was!

Where do you draw the line? One member? 3? 4? Some bands have carried on with just a drummer left from the original lineup, which probably isn't right.

I think you have to judge each case individually, we have Axl Rose, the lead singer and song writer, Dizzy Reed has been around for 20 years and even Izzy pops up every now and again. All the other guys were brought in over time, not all at once, so if you ask me, they have the legal and moral right to call themselves Guns N Roses.

If they were a bunch of talentless show offs with no time for the fans I wouldn't be supportive, but they are ALL grat guys and great musicians, and I think the GNR name is in safe hands.

Have you heard Slash's new version of Coma ft The Wiggles?

I rest my case.

PS. To be honest if Slash, Duff and Co were given the GNR name back I would be cool with that too! I would still support the Axl Rose project and enjoy both bands, as I do with VR.

If you think it is GnR, then it is GnR.

If you think it isn't GnR, then it isn't GnR.

If you think it sounds good but isn't GnR, then enjoy the music and call the band something else.

If you think it sounds like a horesepile and isn't GnR, then it isn't GnR and the band sounds like horesepile.

Me, I don't care whether it is or isn't GnR because it's my favourite band right now ( and it has Bumblefoot in it ).

nice perspective. just be open to whatever. best approach to everything in this reality. word.

This is Guns N' Roses. Anyone who doesn't see or understands that really needs to leave because they are holding those of us with brains and common sense back.

If you think people with differing views is people holding you back then im sorry but clearly you are doing a great job of holding yourself back

actually, i totally agree. maintain an open mind at all times. be open to anything. when I was a kid, i thought certain foods were disgusting, wouldn't even try them. missed a lot. never again.

I dont care what this band is called, the music is awesome and I enjoy what I listen to, and bcuz Axl Rose,who is the spirit and body of the GNR is in it,this is of course GNR.

well, that's a nice agnostic viewpoint simply put. need more like you.

except i think people saying "its not guns n roses" is incredibly childish. you have nothing to base that on besides your own personal feelings of what gnr is. objectively speaking it IS guns n' roses regardless of how much you kick and scream. if you want to say "i dont feel its guns n roses", yeah i can understand that. but to say "its NOT guns n roses" is ridiculous.

wikipedia says its gnr so its gnr. deal with it.

Izzy Stradlin, co-founder of GNR, must be incredibly childish because he stated in an interview that Axl's band is "obviously not Guns N'Roses."

ill link him to wikipedia.

chinese democracy says guns n' roses on the front.

sorry man.

By the same occasion, tell him also that he is incredibly childish.

Thanks.

for the record, im not arguing wtih you. i agree, its not the same as the original guns n roses, and i feel weird calling it guns n roses. personally i go with new gnr, i think thats our best compermise.

im just saying "its not guns n roses" is a false statement as the cover of CD says guns n roses. objectively, it is guns n roses. so people can kick and scream "its not guns n roses" all they want but in the end, it is.

Yes, the cover of CD says Guns N'Roses, but that album didn't do well in the charts precisely because people knew it wasn't really Guns N'Roses.

I would argue it had more to do with a lack of relevance than who was in the band.

you base this on what? your gut? not good enough. biggest failure was how best buy bungled the marketing strategy imo. but it doesn't matter, it is what it is.

Sucks for them, might be true might not, but their stubbornness to look past it kept them from from some good music

They certainly listened to it, hence the Myspace record when it was streaming online.

But they didn't like what they heard.

tough call. i don't have the data on how many listened to the stream, certainly nothing to do any sort of demographic analysis, whether quantitative or qualitative. someone provide those figures if available. i'll be happy to digest the data and provide my hypothesis.

To me Guns N' Roses is a band, and not just one persons will and vision, but that's just me. I would rather see Axl tour with this band as something else than GN'R, but we got what we got, and have to do the best of the situation. I wouldn't win anything on saying "it's not GN'R, fuck this shit, I'll boycott it." Axl wouldn't lose much money on that and I would miss an experience that I would regret that I didn't take.

I look forward to see Axl and his band in summer.

I believe you've just made your personal post of the decade post. :thumbsup:

Sucks for them, might be true might not, but their stubbornness to look past it kept them from from some good music

yep. close-mindedness takes a lot of joy out of life, for me at least. personally, i'll give anything a spin. i don't pay attention to genre designations or whatever, i have only 2 types of music. good music is honest, heartfelt and soulful : bad music is contrived,emotionally empty, and soulless.

To me GNR is what it is and has many faces. I love every version of this band, because each and every version brought something asskicking motherfucking amazing piss shitstirring pussy dicksucking blowjoblike titshorny awesomeness superdupercool to the table. Look at all the cool stuff we got from mid '80 up till today!!! We are privileged as fans. Then look at bands like the Rolling Stones and Aerosmith.....those are some of the most awesome bands and they stuck with each other since the beginning of times. The only downside lf such is that things become boring after a while. Their concerts have been the same all over for ages with no new interesting material whatsoever. And the main 2 reasons are sort of linked: 1 they keep milking the old formula and fans complain they do because fans want something new & exiting, and 2 they try something totally different and fans complain because they expect a certain something which they are used to from their regular crew.

To me GNR is what it is and has many faces. I love every version of this band, because each and every version brought something asskicking motherfucking amazing piss shitstirring pussy dicksucking blowjoblike titshorny awesomeness superdupercool to the table. Look at all the cool stuff we got from mid '80 up till today!!! We are privileged as fans. Then look at bands like the Rolling Stones and Aerosmith.....those are some of the most awesome bands and they stuck with each other since the beginning of times. The only downside lf such is that things become boring after a while. Their concerts have been the same all over for ages with no new interesting material whatsoever. And the main 2 reasons are sort of linked: 1 they keep milking the old formula and fans complain they do because fans want something new & exiting, and 2 they try something totally different and fans complain because they expect a certain something which they are used to from their regular crew.

Actually Aerosmith are looking for someone to replace S. Tyler yet Perry gets rejected by everyone he asks. Why, cause htf do you replace the voice and call yourself aerosmith. On the other hand they can replace Joe Perry pretty easily and I wouldn't even know the difference, that's my opinion of course. TALLARICO!!!

I can't tell you how many people I've tried to turn on to CD that haven't given me the argument "that's not Guns N' Roses" and refused to even give it a chance. I'm betting that's the majority view. But it really doesn't hold water, here's why.

A band is analogous to a relationship in my estimation. The bonds run very deep. There has to be a pretty intense level of empathy, good communication and trust. So when a member has an issue with the direction the band is headed in, obviously they have the right to assess whether they want to continue. Ultimately, Axl did not fire Izzy, Slash, and Duff. They walked away, totally for their own reasons. So in my opinion, Axl is not Guns N; Roses. But clearly, he runs the franchise. Does it really matter who wrote what and who played what on the CD? No. Every guitar track is properly credited. It captures a moment. Simple as that. Songwriters and performers get royalties for their work. The touring band was hired to interpret the material for a live audience, When you are talking about material with as complex in it's arrangements as CD, it is more about compositions than songs per se. Axl is more of a conductor than a frontman in the traditional sense. If you go to see a symphony, doe you bitch that Beethoven didn't make the gig? Fuck no, you just go with it. peace.

Is this tirade aimed at anyone in particular or you just want to beat everyone over the head with your opinion?

I Saw Greensboro 06', Monterrey 07' Hamilton & London 10' & they were the best fucking rock shows of my life!! If that wasn't GnR, Then I don't know what is.

So Don't tell me this isn't Guns n Fucking Roses!!!

I also saw the killer 3.5 hour 91' Greensboro show. That was also Guns n Fucking Roses. Just a different version.

Who the fuck cares anyway? Just enjoy the music & be happy any form of GnR is still alive, kicking & Touring! rock3

I can't tell you how many people I've tried to turn on to CD that haven't given me the argument "that's not Guns N' Roses" and refused to even give it a chance. I'm betting that's the majority view. But it really doesn't hold water, here's why.

A band is analogous to a relationship in my estimation. The bonds run very deep. There has to be a pretty intense level of empathy, good communication and trust. So when a member has an issue with the direction the band is headed in, obviously they have the right to assess whether they want to continue. Ultimately, Axl did not fire Izzy, Slash, and Duff. They walked away, totally for their own reasons. So in my opinion, Axl is not Guns N; Roses. But clearly, he runs the franchise. Does it really matter who wrote what and who played what on the CD? No. Every guitar track is properly credited. It captures a moment. Simple as that. Songwriters and performers get royalties for their work. The touring band was hired to interpret the material for a live audience, When you are talking about material with as complex in it's arrangements as CD, it is more about compositions than songs per se. Axl is more of a conductor than a frontman in the traditional sense. If you go to see a symphony, doe you bitch that Beethoven didn't make the gig? Fuck no, you just go with it. peace.

Not really convincing.

When I listen to Axl's band covering GNR's classic songs or even the CD songs, the analogy that pops in my head is that a fake Picasso can look very similar to the original. But it's still a fake Picasso...

If you take a look at the material in CD, it is clearly all Axl, not the effort of a band. It's his big fuck you album to everybody from Scraped, to Sorry, to Shackler's Revenge. That's fine, a lot of people do albums like that, so long as we realize where it's all coming from. These guys are just playing Axl's vision at each of these gigs. Axl is the only relevant member of GNR right now. Also, have you ever thought that so many people say it isn't GNR because they're on to something? That losing Slash was a devastating blow to the GNR name for which it hasn't recovered 15 years after?

Yes Axl does sound incredibly good these days, but this isn't really GNR, it's the vision of a bitter, angry, neurotic, immature person who claims he had nothing to do with the break up of a once great band. Hopefully he puts it behind him soon but for now this is the Chinese Democracy vengance tour and has been for 7 years.

1000th post!!!

Edited by GeorgeGlass

Look its not the real guns n roses of course not, most people that are into the nu gnr are huge axl fans me included, but after recent events they are tons more credible and dj ashba is a huge fact on that along with axl regaining his voice so people will start viewing these guys in a positive light. My only wish is that axl and slash would just bury the hatchet once and for all, not a reunion just say fuck we made history so we can at least be civil to each other, its pointless all this bitching between them they are both genises so kiss and make up LIFE IS TO FUCKIN SHORT AXL AND SLASH

Look its not the real guns n roses of course not, most people that are into the nu gnr are huge axl fans me included, but after recent events they are tons more credible and dj ashba is a huge fact on that along with axl regaining his voice so people will start viewing these guys in a positive light. My only wish is that axl and slash would just bury the hatchet once and for all, not a reunion just say fuck we made history so we can at least be civil to each other, its pointless all this bitching between them they are both genises so kiss and make up LIFE IS TO FUCKIN SHORT AXL AND SLASH

Careful or you'll get a tongue lashing from Axl via this forum. How dare you say something that might make sense or has come from a credible source, only to have it possibly addressed in a random forum post laced with insults and f bombs rather than in a civilized way.

I happen to agree with you, let bygone's be bygone's, but what the hell do I know. Axl will probably claim that he tried to make amends but that Slash wanted nothing to do with it, again playing the victim in that duranged head of his. According to him, he's done nothing wrong since '87 - what the fuck planet is he on?

Different people have different ideas of what GnR is. Personally, I don't call this lineup Guns N Roses, I usually call it New GnR or something along those lines. That doesn't mean I don't like this lineup.

1985-1996(ish) is GnR to me. If its not for you, that's cool. Just don't expect everyone to call this lineup Guns N Roses.

1985-1996 there were a lot line up changes you know... But you still call them GNR. Why not these days?

June 6th 1985 -1991 wasn't any lineup changes apart from Dizzy the keyboard player

Plus this band wrote and recorded AFD, Lies, Use Your Illusion 1 + 2

Axl may own the name but it's still not the same band

Personally I would of loved if Axl had of named the current version WAR or Rose like his original band

Edited by ThinkAboutYou

Saying this is not the real Guns is like me saying to someone I know, 'you're not the real you because you didn't stay exactly the same since age whatever', it doesn't make any sense to me at all. The band is like a living thing and it has to change and evolve. The changes aren't even always necessarily conscious decisions, it's just how all art is. What the fuck's so hard to understand about that?

What "GnR" is or isn't...will obviously be different for every person. Because it depends entirely on what the term "Guns n Roses" actually means to you. Is it the name of a band? Is it a particular sound? A music style? An attitude? A certain image? Everyone's free to argue with whatever definition they want...but at the end of the day, Axl is the one holding the name, and to him, GnR is the name for his art. It has been from the beginning. Anyone who is good at what they do, or wants to be, evolves. And Chinese Democracy is a product of the evolution of his art. Therefore, it is GnR. It's really a pointless argument. What the other guys did under that name hasn't been lost or erased, and never will be. They created that stage of GnR together, but they decided to move on from that. That time was GnR. This time is GnR. It's not the same, but art changes and evolves as a person does in order to survive. It would be wrong if after all these years it was still the same.

So...are the Chicago Bulls not the Chicago Bulls anymore because they don't have Jordan or Rodman? Exactly.

You might not like the lineup and that's fine, but saying "it's not Guns N' Roses" when the album cover clearly says "GUNS N' ROSES - Chinese Democracy" is just outright ridiculous.

So...are the Chicago Bulls not the Chicago Bulls anymore because they don't have Jordan or Rodman? Exactly.

You might not like the lineup and that's fine, but saying "it's not Guns N' Roses" when the album cover clearly says "GUNS N' ROSES - Chinese Democracy" is just outright ridiculous.

When I say it's not Guns N Roses, I mean that in a conceptual sense. Its not meant that literally it isn't GNR. Of course its GNR, that's the name they technically carry, but save for Axl, who are any of the other people? Just like the Bulls, who were a force in the 90's, then people retired and/or left for other teams, and the Bulls weren't really the "Bulls" anymore. In name yes, but all that magic was gone and it was never the same after that (and still isn't). Sometimes when you set the bar that high there's nowhere to go but down. Axl had the ability to change the name and literally go in another direction, but he didn't. What's in a name? What can be interpreted from a name? A LOT!

If he chose another name, I would be much, much more supportive of the entire band, but when I see that circus on stage and what's (not) happened since '94, it's a disgrace to the GNR legacy. A new name would've signaled a fresh start, but instead it appeared to everyone that he was trying to resurrect something so special with a bunch of hired musicians.

Edited by GeorgeGlass