What are you listening to right now?

Rock_And_Roll_Over

King Crimson's The Court of the Crimson King

And JJF, I couldn't disagree more. AJFA has always been my least favorite Metallica album, and that's including their god-awful 90's albums. And this is coming from a pretty big fan of Technical Thrash which is what AJFA is sometimes considered.

AJFA has never really been popular because of the production "techniques" used..I'm surprised One became as big as it was actually... I've come to really appreciate the buzzing guitars and bass-less tracks in a way :lol:

I've always identified with the themes that they explore on the album. Stuff like Frayed Ends of Sanity, Dyer's Eve, Eye of the Beholder, etc.. And I think To Live is To Die is my favourite Metallica instrumental along with Orion. I just like how cohesive the album is..where all the songs compliment each other. On the album you get to see aggressive, thrashy Metallica along with the more introspective Metallica. To be honest, out of their first four albums it's pretty hard to pick favourites.

I hate the production on the album. One of the biggest turn-offs for me. The guitars seem flat and you can't hear the bass. All of the songs seem pretty boring to me. I admit I like "One", only because it's the only thing on the album that seems different in any way. It just seems like they play guitar riffs for minutes at a time that don't add anything to the song and don't build up to anything. They have intros in songs (like the title track and "Blackened") that don't add to the song. They're intros just to be intros. I think this is where James' voice began going downhill. He lost the slight screamy-ness in this album, which was very apparent in their debut, slightly less apparent in RTL, and even less apparent in MoP. I dunno, I just feel like they were trying too hard or something with longer songs, more guitar riffs, intros, and their change in sound, but they fell flat on their face in all of those aspects, to me. It contends for last along with DM for my least favorite Metallica albums.

EDIT: Supertramp - Goodbye Stranger

I quite like the intro to "AJFA"...I think it builds up nicely to the song. Aside from "Blackened", I don't know what you mean by the intros thing...And quite frankly I consider that little intro to Blackened to be more of an "album intro" than a track intro - if that makes any sense :shrugs:

And Metallica had done the same thing before, like with "Fight Fire with Fire" and "Battery" which are both opening tracks. It just seems like they approached it differently on "Blackened".

As for Jame's voice, he doesn't scream as much as he does on KEA or RTL but it still packs the same punch. Just look at Dyers Eve...pure rage there.

NP: Show 'Em Whatcha Got by Public Enemy

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And JJF, I couldn't disagree more. AJFA has always been my least favorite Metallica album, and that's including their god-awful 90's albums. And this is coming from a pretty big fan of Technical Thrash which is what AJFA is sometimes considered.

AJFA has never really been popular because of the production "techniques" used..I'm surprised One became as big as it was actually... I've come to really appreciate the buzzing guitars and bass-less tracks in a way :lol:

I've always identified with the themes that they explore on the album. Stuff like Frayed Ends of Sanity, Dyer's Eve, Eye of the Beholder, etc.. And I think To Live is To Die is my favourite Metallica instrumental along with Orion. I just like how cohesive the album is..where all the songs compliment each other. On the album you get to see aggressive, thrashy Metallica along with the more introspective Metallica. To be honest, out of their first four albums it's pretty hard to pick favourites.

I hate the production on the album. One of the biggest turn-offs for me. The guitars seem flat and you can't hear the bass. All of the songs seem pretty boring to me. I admit I like "One", only because it's the only thing on the album that seems different in any way. It just seems like they play guitar riffs for minutes at a time that don't add anything to the song and don't build up to anything. They have intros in songs (like the title track and "Blackened") that don't add to the song. They're intros just to be intros. I think this is where James' voice began going downhill. He lost the slight screamy-ness in this album, which was very apparent in their debut, slightly less apparent in RTL, and even less apparent in MoP. I dunno, I just feel like they were trying too hard or something with longer songs, more guitar riffs, intros, and their change in sound, but they fell flat on their face in all of those aspects, to me. It contends for last along with DM for my least favorite Metallica albums.

I quite like the intro to "AJFA"...I think it builds up nicely to the song. Aside from "Blackened", I don't know what you mean by the intros thing...And quite frankly I consider that little intro to Blackened to be more of an "album intro" than a track intro - if that makes any sense :shrugs:

And Metallica had done the same thing before, like with "Fight Fire with Fire" and "Battery" which are both opening tracks. It just seems like they approached it differently on "Blackened".

As for Jame's voice, he doesn't scream as much as he does on KEA or RTL but it still packs the same punch. Just look at Dyers Eve...pure rage there.

Also if you want to hate on the production of AJFA then you must despise Death Magnetic

Also if you want to hate on the production of AJFA then you must despise Death Magnetic

I had to DL the Guitar Hero rip to listen to that record. Another victim of the loudness war.