Rush vs. Roger Waters "The Wall"

coolio GNR

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've seen Rush 6 times, Roger a few times. I don't really need to see Camera Eye and Vital Signs THAT bad.

This is Roger's last tour. He's in his late 60s. He knows he has to make this a spectacle and not just a concert. The Wall has a story to it and the effects are going to be incredible. Even when he had Clapton touring with him, he did an impressive job on that tour, as well as KAOS.

The down side is that Roger wasn't singing a lot of songs on the Dark Side tour, as good as the show was. Dave's not lying about being the voice of PF. At least Rush has had the same members for 35 years, but face it, a rotisserie chicken or washers and dryers isn't really much of a "spectacle".

He's touring this one everywhere. He's been to China and Russia in the past. He'll go back to Germany but I doubt he'll do something on the scale he did 20 years ago.I can't see him not playing those countries. But I have a feeling he'll be playing the Middle East esp. Israel, because he did some documentary about the Israel/Palestine wall. I think the biggest shows will prob. be towards the end and maybe a free one in Hyde Park or Central Park, and a couple of festivals.

A lot of people are hoping Gilmour will show up to one of them. Odds of Nick playing one or two shows is pretty good. Special guest singers, also a good chance of that happening. Van Morrison could easily do one of them. Bob Geldof, really good chance of him showing up (he had sang with Gilmour before). Marianne Faithfull, who's recorded a Waters song in the past, also a good chance of her showing up.

This isn't the same show as 30 years ago. It's not Pink Floyd. They haven't said anything about whether they're bringing the bricks out of mothballs or they'll be using a huge video screen with a lot of new effects. The inflatables will be back. I'm sure the pig will be flying around. They've shot new footage and will be using some of the same Scarfe animation from the 80-81 tour. I also think he wants to do something with the audience texting messages, using social network sites, and something to do with the soldiers and put that into the show. I also don't know if he's putting songs like "When the Tigers Broke Free" in, or taking "The Final Bricks" out (which was an instrumental while they put the rest of the wall up before "Goodbye Cruel World".

Without Gilmour, half those songs won't sound the same.

This is the equivalent of a Phantom of the Opera musical fan going to a show with a whole other cast, but with Andrew Lloyd Webber playing piano and conducting the orchestra (Waters fans should be snickering by what I wrote). One would hope for Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford to show up to do one song, but know it's wishful thinking.

You've never tried to sneak down to floor seats from the nosebleeds? Easy to do in small arenas. LA Forum and Nassau would be cake as long as security doesn't see you. Some Vegas shows go for more than that, hot Broadway shows, around that cost.

I don't do it anymore, but used to pay close to nothing for tix and was able to bypass security at most shows, and sneak backstage at a few.

Aren't tickets for The Wall like $250?

Hey Becket..

Has the Wall altered your plans to see Maiden this summer??

I think so. I'd love to see Maiden, but I may only get to see one. If so I'd have to go with The Wall.

It kinda trumps everything doesn't it... :)

Hey Becket..

I think so. I'd love to see Maiden, but I may only get to see one. If so I'd have to go with The Wall.

Nothing trumps Maiden for me. ;)

Hey Becket..

Perhaps it's a "our generation" thing.

The Wall was just like...a gift from the Gods.

Well the only drawback I see is that Roger Waters has almost completely lost his voice. I saw a couple of youtube videos of his last tour and I think he was lip-syncing some of his songs. I am thinking that none of this is going to matter because the presenation is going to be so spectacular. I mean you can not tell me he is going to be able to sing "Run Like Hell" like he used to.

Edited by coolio GNR

Hey Becket..

Perhaps it's a "our generation" thing.

The Wall was just like...a gift from the Gods.

I like The Wall, in fact it's the only PF album I can really listen to front to back, but I just don't really have any desire to see Roger do it solo, especially if it would prevent me from seeing Rush or Maiden, granted I'm seeing them 4 times and 8 times this year respectively.

Great post!

Just wanted to respond to a few things.

A lot of people are hoping Gilmour will show up to one of them.

I would highly doubt it.

Odds of Nick playing one or two shows is pretty good.

Maybe...would require some extra rehearsals...maybe for a Hyde Park gig or something.

He did this on the DSOTM tour though didn't he??...so yeah,maybe.

Special guest singers, also a good chance of that happening. Van Morrison could easily do one of them. Bob Geldof, really good chance of him showing up (he had sang with Gilmour before). Marianne Faithfull, who's recorded a Waters song in the past, also a good chance of her showing up.

I'm going to say I really don't think this will happen.

Just read an interview where Roger talked about the Wall Berlin gig and how it was a completely different take on the music,because it meant reworking the songs and arrangements to match the performers approach to the songs.

This tour is going to be quite precise musically (according to the interview).Roger said he fully expects it to be closer to the album and the original presentation on tour.

So I don't see this changing up for guest singers.

They haven't said anything about whether they're bringing the bricks out of mothballs or they'll be using a huge video screen with a lot of new effects. The inflatables will be back. I'm sure the pig will be flying around. They've shot new footage and will be using some of the same Scarfe animation from the 80-81 tour. I also think he wants to do something with the audience texting messages, using social network sites, and something to do with the soldiers and put that into the show.

Looks like they will be building the actual wall...Roger had this to say....

"The centerpiece will be an actual wall -- 240 feet wide and 35 feet tall -- that's constructed during the first half of the show and knocked over towards the end. The shows will also feature Gerald Scarfe-designed puppets that "will articulate more than they did in the last show," according to Waters, as well as extensive projections and other special effects.

"The engineering and technology has gotten better, especially the projection techniques," Waters notes. "We can make a very bright image across the width of the arena, which we couldn't do before."

Without Gilmour, half those songs won't sound the same.

Nor did they at the Berlin '90 presentation....but they were still bloody stellar.

This is a Roger Water's interpretation of the Wall,this isn't a Floyd tour...I won't be attending expecting it to be.

This is the equivalent of a Phantom of the Opera musical fan going to a show with a whole other cast, but with Andrew Lloyd Webber playing piano and conducting the orchestra (Waters fans should be snickering by what I wrote). One would hope for Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford to show up to do one song, but know it's wishful thinking.

I've actually seen Phantom in London England,NYC and twice in Toronto,(second time in Toronto featured Paul Stanley starring as the Phantom).

Never once exoected Sarah or Michael to show up for a song.

Just dug each production for what it was and how each ensemble brought a different flavour to the live event.

Totally looking forward to seeing how Roger brings The Wall to life 30 years on...

I think it's going to be bloody amazing.