Iggy and the Stooges Toronto Saturday June 19, 2010

Zint

Do you know where exactly the NYD show is? Even like how far off the QEW?

You'll literally be passing Burlington on your drive in...it's not too far down the road from Hamilton.

The gig is at Spencer Smith Park...which is right at the waterfront.

You can get more info at the link below.

link

The usual Mapquest details will get you there,and then on in to Toronto.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iggy confirmed for 9:30 pm

Only North American appearance scheduled for 2010 apparantly.

Hmm, that's odd, there's supposed to be a show somewhere between Albany and NYC on Sept. 3. Don't remember the exact town. Did that get cancelled?

EDIT: There's actually 4 more NA shows scheduled at the end of the summer now:

8/27 - Atlantic City, NJ

8/29 - Chicago, IL

8/31 - Boston, MA

9/3 - Monticello, NY

Edited by Powerage5

Iggy confirmed for 9:30 pm

Only North American appearance scheduled for 2010 apparantly.

Hmm, that's odd, there's supposed to be a show somewhere between Albany and NYC on Sept. 3. Don't remember the exact town. Did that get cancelled?

EDIT: There's actually 4 more NA shows scheduled at the end of the summer now:

8/27 - Atlantic City, NJ

8/29 - Chicago, IL

8/31 - Boston, MA

9/3 - Monticello, NY

Yeah you're right...there was a big article in today's Toronto Sun about the upcoming festival,it was listed in there as the only NA gig.

I checked the Stooges site,the tour section only lists so many gigs on the first page,if not checked carefully ,it looks like Toronto is the only NA gig.

You have to click to the next page to get more gigs.

Probably a journalist rushing to meet deadlines...or not really caring.

Also, looking at the schedule now, I see there's bands on all day. How early should I get there realistically to get fairly close for The Stooges do you think?

In all honesty??

If your goal is to drive to Toronto and get close to the Stooges...I'd skip the Dolls.

This concert was a go on a...those-in-the-know kind of way...but it's now been advertised in a newspaper that has a circulation province wide.

I've already heard from people who only just found out because of the Sun article.

I didn't realize there were bands starting at noon!

I thought it was an evening thing and people would start gathering early afternoon,with the influx starting around four.

(there IS a chance it might still go down that way).

But here's the thing...this is being billed as THE event of the Festival.

Here's some perspective...Yonge Street is going to be closed down!

(how far down I don't know...but definitely core)

That means sidestreet chaos...so,to find a parking lot with available space,the earlier in the day the better.

I'd just head straight downtown man...the earlier the better.

There's bands all afternoon...and if the crowd isn't that big yet,you can go eat etc.

The thing with people going to both the Dolls and Iggy...it's a bit different for them.

They will be parking at home when they get back to Toronto,or at friend's places etc.

It's a little different for a visitor in town.

So navigating Toronto around 5 pm (after the Dolls) with Yonge Street closed will be nuts enough...and will definitely thwart

getting close to the stage.

One thing I've wondered about is...how many people will be allowed in the area before the cops say no more.

On the Stooges website,under the listing for this gig...it says "cap 10,000".

Does that mean that after 10,000 approx the cop barricades go up??

If you want to up close for the Stooges...skip the Dolls.

Hey P5

If you want to go fuckin gonzo...the Festival continues that night,after the Iggy gig.

Over at the El Mocambo there's some bands playing.

One of them is Porcelain Forehead (the band I saw open for Jello Biafra).

Early 80's hardcore band...a bit more eclectic than standard fare...but really really good!

How good??...Jello Biafra allowed them to go out and do encores.

Someone at the side of the stage said to Jello "that's really very cool of you to let them do that".

Jello said "I love these guys!"

note : P Forehead also opened for DK in Toronto in '84

(if you go...buy their cd!!)

I ended up going to the Mudhoney and X gig...holy shit...amazing!

Here's a clip..

P5...if you're going to be upfront for Iggy,be prepared for a massive,aggressive pit...on concrete. :tongue2:

...and it looks like I'm going! (still sorting it out) B)

Eh, I'm thinking I'm not gonna be up front. My band had a show in Watertown (almost 4 hours from Rochester) last night. I had to drive back so I could work at 8 this morning, and I got back home at a little after 2 this morning. Tonight I'm seeing Booker T & The MG's and Jeff Beck at the Rochester Jazz Fest tonight, and Jeff Beck doesn't even start until midnight, so I'll be lucky to get to bed by 3. There's just no way I can get up super early to get a good spot and get home at 3 in the morning for a third night in a row. And I'm too exhausted for a really intense night tomorrow. So I'll probably come up, get kinda close (Hopefully film the show???) and just have fun. Then I get to see them at Sonisphere, and just have fun again. If I want to go crazy at a show, I think I'm gonna see them in Monticello in September.

Is there a security check point to get into Dundas Square? Like, would I be able to bring my camcorder to film the show without any hassle since it's free? If I can film it, I'll make sure to send a copy out for ya Zint ;)

Eh, I'm thinking I'm not gonna be up front. My band had a show in Watertown (almost 4 hours from Rochester) last night. I had to drive back so I could work at 8 this morning, and I got back home at a little after 2 this morning. Tonight I'm seeing Booker T & The MG's and Jeff Beck at the Rochester Jazz Fest tonight, and Jeff Beck doesn't even start until midnight, so I'll be lucky to get to bed by 3. There's just no way I can get up super early to get a good spot and get home at 3 in the morning for a third night in a row. And I'm too exhausted for a really intense night tomorrow. So I'll probably come up, get kinda close (Hopefully film the show???) and just have fun. Then I get to see them at Sonisphere, and just have fun again. If I want to go crazy at a show, I think I'm gonna see them in Monticello in September.

Is there a security check point to get into Dundas Square? Like, would I be able to bring my camcorder to film the show without any hassle since it's free? If I can film it, I'll make sure to send a copy out for ya Zint ;)

Absolutely no checkpoints.

There was a guy with recording mics on a stand and some pretty impressive looking gear (in the middle of the crowd)...he recorded Brant errrr...somebody (ex Kyuss)...they were REALLY ggod!

There was a guy front row with a video recorder for Mudhoney and X.

There were booze bottles and cans all over the place.

Filming will NOT be a problem.

The city was buzzing man...it was a really cool atmosphere.

You know,I don't think you'll have a problem getting a good space even at some point later on in the afternoon.

People were coming and going,and the crowd's would thin out between bands.

It's going to be a HOT day tomorrow so people won't be stationary for all that long at a time.

I'm probably not leaving for Toronto till 4 or 5 in the afternoon.

Absolutely no checkpoints.

There was a guy with recording mics on a stand and some pretty impressive looking gear (in the middle of the crowd)...he recorded Brant errrr...somebody (ex Kyuss)...they were REALLY ggod!

There was a guy front row with a video recorder for Mudhoney and X.

There were booze bottles and cans all over the place.

Filming will NOT be a problem.

The city was buzzing man...it was a really cool atmosphere.

You know,I don't think you'll have a problem getting a good space even at some point later on in the afternoon.

People were coming and going,and the crowd's would thin out between bands.

It's going to be a HOT day tomorrow so people won't be stationary for all that long at a time.

I'm probably not leaving for Toronto till 4 or 5 in the afternoon.

Ok, cool. I guess I'll and get maybe 50 feet or so back and film the set. And if you PM me your address I can mail a copy out to you sometime next week if you'd like ;)

So excited for this show, I've been waiting years to see The Stooges. And I get to see them 3 times this year! rock3

If you've got good zoom,you're better off standing further back,for the sake of the audio.

Here's a clip of Brant Bjork and The Bros. (the ex Kyuss guy I was mentioning,they played before Mudhoney)...they were pretty good!

Anyway,this guy got great great looking footage,but the distortion kills it because he stood too close.

dsc00763ey.jpg

View of the stage waiting for Iggy!

You can't have been too far from me. I was at the front corner of the red Virgin Mobile tent filming.

All I can say: holy shit! I've never seen such an energetic show. I've waited so long to see this band, and it completely met my expectations, and went way beyond. I'll post more in the morning, but I can say I was able to film the whole show except for a little blip during Raw Power when my camcorder fucked up. Parts of it were shaky, parts of it I had to tilt the monopod to avoid people in the way, but it should still be very much watchable, and listenable.

Zint, if you got any good pics of the band, I'd love to use them for the menus on the DVD ;) Also, did you know the entire setlist? There were maybe 2 or 3 songs I wasn't familiar with...

I'll post more when I'm recharged in the morning!

dsc00763ey.jpg

You can't have been too far from me. I was at the front corner of the red Virgin Mobile tent filming.

All I can say: holy shit! I've never seen such an energetic show. I've waited so long to see this band, and it completely met my expectations, and went way beyond. I'll post more in the morning, but I can say I was able to film the whole show except for a little blip during Raw Power when my camcorder fucked up. Parts of it were shaky, parts of it I had to tilt the monopod to avoid people in the way, but it should still be very much watchable, and listenable.

Zint, if you got any good pics of the band, I'd love to use them for the menus on the DVD ;) Also, did you know the entire setlist? There were maybe 2 or 3 songs I wasn't familiar with...

I was closer than this picture gives perspective of...but...I ended up further back where you were.

Being that close ended up a death trap (literally) very quickly.

It got quite gnarly...fast!!

People up front were panicking and wanted out,thus a frenzied push backwards started,but at the same time a surge from the drunks pushing forward started.

So...very quickly a bad situation arose.

I love the sensation of being crushed to death...don't you? :shocked:

Lots more to come,I'm baked right now...severely baked and I have to go to do some work. :blink:

Some funny shit to follow.

(and a couple crappy little video clips I took with my cam)

dsc00763ey.jpg

I was closer than this picture gives perspective of...but...I ended up further back where you were.

Being that close ended up a death trap (literally) very quickly.

It got quite gnarly...fast!!

People up front were panicking and wanted out,thus a frenzied push backwards started,but at the same time a surge from the drunks pushing forward started.

So...very quickly a bad situation arose.

I love the sensation of being crushed to death...don't you? :shocked:

Lots more to come,I'm baked right now...severely baked and I have to go to do some work. :blink:

Some funny shit to follow.

(and a couple crappy little video clips I took with my cam)

I hear ya on the crowd. My mom told me she would film the show so I could go up front and have fun, since she doesn't particularly care about The Stooges. By Search & Destroy, I had to get out, it was so tight, even 30 feet back or so. Definitely the craziest crowd I've ever been in! So I made my way back and took over filming duties. To be honest, I could see more through the camcorder screen than I could on my own.

I'm about to go edit the video on my desktop, I'll let you know what songs I need help with from the setlist, and I'll probably post a preview on youtube by the end of the night. If you know anyone who got some good pics, I'd love if I could get some for the menus, I'll give them a shout out on the DVD for it! :thumbsup:

By Search & Destroy, I had to get out, it was so tight,

You lasted about as long as I did! :lol:

That was intense!

That fucking place went apeshit when they broke into Search and Destroy.

Still have to go back out to do some work,I just popped in at home to get a couple of painkillers,for some reason my ankle is hurting like a motherfucker. :blink:

I'll keep an eye out for pics,I don't have good ones.

Coolest pic I've seen so far is one my friend emailed me.He met Williamson and got his pic taken with him!

By Search & Destroy, I had to get out, it was so tight,

You lasted about as long as I did! :lol:

That was intense!

That fucking place went apeshit when they broke into Search and Destroy.

Still have to go back out to do some work,I just popped in at home to get a couple of painkillers,for some reason my ankle is hurting like a motherfucker. :blink:

I'll keep an eye out for pics,I don't have good ones.

Coolest pic I've seen so far is one my friend emailed me.He met Williamson and got his pic taken with him!

The smell was what really killed me. It was the most god-awful mix of pot, beer, and body odor I've ever smelled.

I finished editing chapter marks for most of the video throughout the day. Visually, when it's good, it's great, and when it's shaky, it's REALLY shaky. Fortunately, the good outweighs the bad. As the show goes on, the video quality gets better. I had it set to get the full stage in view for the first half or so, as people started climbing the tents during the econd half I zoomed in the whole way and jumped around between band members depending on who I could get a shot of. Usually it's Iggy, and James got a fair bit of screen time as well. The audio came out great, it was just loud enough to drown out anyone talking around me, but not too loud to distort. As I said, there's only about 10 or 15 seconds of Raw Power missing, my camera had some loss of data error message I've never seen, then it automatically resumed filming.

I'll definitely put a sample on youtube sometime tomorrow.