Guns N' Roses and the new generation

D..

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no honor?back that up..he did make a deal w/the devil, no doubt.but, he followed it up w/a Incesticide,which contained a diatribe against the segments of his fan base that were racist,sexist,or just plain dumb.then he did In Utero w/probably the toughest nosed indie producer out there,Steve Albini.Then, he did Unplugged and played a bunch of covers 99% of the audience didn't know.your basing your statement on nada sir.

The fact is he complained about being famous, that he didn't want that life, don't wanna be a rock star, yet he comes on MTV, gets his prize, gets max exposure, I call this double talking. I don't care how underground he thought he was, fact is, most of his songs are "chorus verse chorus verse" (i think there even is a nirvana song with that title), very commercial, and he wants to play the underground man. This is bullshit.

I hope that one day, some people with brain will look back at music history and realize a guy like Kurt Cobain was a sold out man, and Axl Rose is not. It's like Kurt Cobain became some kind of god when he died when nobody gives a shit about Layne Staley (at least in the medias). I call this bull fucking shit man. Kurt cobain was a man with many weaknesses and was self contradictory. I don't respect the man nor his songs, suicide while you have the chance to have a daughter and such fame is fucking bullshit. No really it's a sad story but I can't take this guy as a man, more like a teenager with all his contradictions and delusions that never grew up into a man.

think for a second.you closer to agreeing with me than you think.Bleach was made for $600 for Sup Pop.You are young Kurt,o.k.?They offer you a shitton of money,get butch Vig-fresh off producing Gish for smashing Pumpkins.You sign the paper.You are flat broke,o.k.?Then,you find out you made a deal with the devil.He was required contractually to do those appearances.So, rather than get sued and taken for everything he did them.Always tongue-in-cheek,like when he did Headbanger's Ball wearing a tacky bright yellow prom dress.So yeah,he made a mistake.

sell out's an easy word.I'd say Axl has been true to his convictions, and i believe Kurt was as well.Now, if you dislike the music,fine.But if it's about being on MTV,Axl was on it constantly back then.Don't be hypocritical.If you dislike Nirvana,fine.Don't take the easy route man.You seem smarter than that.

Suicide-I agree.But if you were married to that cunt and deal with the problems of fame-it might be an option on the table.Especially considering Kourtney used to teach Frances to call Evan Dando daddy just to fuck with Kurt.Maybe you've never run across a true sociopath,or a succubus.When you do-suicide might be better.peace.

In these days, teenagers don't listen to rock & roll. They prefer hip hop, pop. Things change.

Young people used to prefer rock because it signified rebellion.

Rock 'n' Roll was about giving the middle finger to the establishment.

There was a sense of danger - real or manufactured - rock pissed off your teachers and parents.

It was full of naughty language and the rock stars themselves were troublemakers, drug-addicts and sex fiends.

It's no surprise that hip hop is more popular with young people today.

Whether it's true or not - hip hop appears more forbidden than rock does today. It's more offensive to the sensibilities of authority figures than rock is.

Sure maybe there was all this sense of rebellion behind rock a and maybe nowadays hip hop is closer to this spirit (let's be honest, few rock bands are agressive nowadays towards the establishment, society, etc, in fact, as for rock records, Chinese democracy may be the most agressive rock album I've seen these last ten or twenty years) but it also seems to me that young people today prefer simple music with just drum and bass, they don't appreciate great melodies with complex guitar solos, anyway it's the impression i get from people of my generation and younger generation.

System of a down were until their hiatus, rolling with that 'fuck the man" rock n roll spirit. Apart from them an guns, there's not been much going on in rock.

Edited by axl8302

think for a second.you closer to agreeing with me than you think.Bleach was made for $600 for Sup Pop.You are young Kurt,o.k.?They offer you a shitton of money,get butch Vig-fresh off producing Gish for smashing Pumpkins.You sign the paper.You are flat broke,o.k.?Then,you find out you made a deal with the devil.He was required contractually to do those appearances.So, rather than get sued and taken for everything he did them.Always tongue-in-cheek,like when he did Headbanger's Ball wearing a tacky bright yellow prom dress.So yeah,he made a mistake.

He should have read the contract better. Making those appearances isn't THAT bad, it's part of the deal, you know I have a job that pays a lot but I often have to do additional hours to complete the work and I accept the game even if it's not in the contract because it pays well and when I think of others whose situation is miserable I consider myself lucky.

If he didn't want to have his face everywhere then he should never have considered this business to begin with, he should have been a farmer or maybe even go out live in the jungle and feeds himself with plants.

But if it's about being on MTV,Axl was on it constantly back then.

The thing is Axl didn't diss the medias, he wanted to be a performer, a rockstar, an icon if you want, he embraced what he was doing, unlike Kurt Cobain. Axl had balls. Kurt didn't.

Suicide-I agree.But if you were married to that cunt and deal with the problems of fame-it might be an option on the table.Especially considering Kourtney used to teach Frances to call Evan Dando daddy just to fuck with Kurt.Maybe you've never run across a true sociopath,or a succubus.When you do-suicide might be better.peace.

I don't know I'm not in his situation. I'm not the judge of Kurt Cobain, I just don't see him as a saint, or as a man responsable of his actions, and I'm a bit bored by people constantly worshipping him. I don't like Nirvana's music, especially the lyrics I despise, I don't like the character of Cobain, I understand if you're a fan, but you aren't gonna change my way of seeing things on that matter, my whole life, people have wanted to teach me what "good music" is, and I've been fed with Nirvana, Jon Bon Jovi, Limp Bizkit, Good Charlotte and other shit like that in college and high school, and everybody despised bands like Guns N' Roses or Muse (things have changed about Muse now but ten years ago, everybody hated them and was constantly referring to Radiohead as the best band), when I found out about Guns N' Roses years later, it changed something in me, it's like something on this fucking earth is right.

I'm just not interested in Nirvana, I should even talk about it, I think if you just have negative things to say about something you better shut up, that's why I'm on a Guns N' Roses forum. No hard feelings mate I respect if you're a Nirvana fan it's just not my thing.

Interesting views Wasted, yeah maybe it's not as black and white, we'll never know for sure anyway, but what I do know is that I don't like Cobain's attitude in the videos I've watched from youtube, except in some rare interviews where he seems settled and at peace.

The shows so far sold well, I believe that is a sign?

Do you know if they sold out yet in Norway? The weird thing is that, four years ago, according to HTGTH the norway show sold out in like 10 minutes and I think it's still not sold out for these 2010 shows...

Also I hope we'll have a setlist as long as in canada or south america because it's just an arena in norway, while they have played a lot of stadiums recently.

I have no idea how far from sold out it is.. But 2006 it sold out pretty fast I think. Doesn't look like gnr play longer sets for bigger crowds from what we've seen so far. Seems like they just drop out whenever they want with an extra long set. Let's hope Norway will get one! :)

He should have read the contract better. Making those appearances isn't THAT bad, it's part of the deal, you know I have a job that pays a lot but I often have to do additional hours to complete the work and I accept the game even if it's not in the contract because it pays well and when I think of others whose situation is miserable I consider myself lucky.

If he didn't want to have his face everywhere then he should never have considered this business to begin with, he should have been a farmer or maybe even go out live in the jungle and feeds himself with plants.

But if it's about being on MTV,Axl was on it constantly back then.

The thing is Axl didn't diss the medias, he wanted to be a performer, a rockstar, an icon if you want, he embraced what he was doing, unlike Kurt Cobain. Axl had balls. Kurt didn't.

I don't know I'm not in his situation. I'm not the judge of Kurt Cobain, I just don't see him as a saint, or as a man responsable of his actions, and I'm a bit bored by people constantly worshipping him. I don't like Nirvana's music, especially the lyrics I despise, I don't like the character of Cobain, I understand if you're a fan, but you aren't gonna change my way of seeing things on that matter, my whole life, people have wanted to teach me what "good music" is, and I've been fed with Nirvana, Jon Bon Jovi, Limp Bizkit, Good Charlotte and other shit like that in college and high school, and everybody despised bands like Guns N' Roses or Muse (things have changed about Muse now but ten years ago, everybody hated them and was constantly referring to Radiohead as the best band), when I found out about Guns N' Roses years later, it changed something in me, it's like something on this fucking earth is right.

I'm just not interested in Nirvana, I should even talk about it, I think if you just have negative things to say about something you better shut up, that's why I'm on a Guns N' Roses forum. No hard feelings mate I respect if you're a Nirvana fan it's just not my thing.

of course.we probably see eye to eye on 90% of things.But,in my era-sellout was used a lot man.Anyway-yes,KOL suck it.There's not much out there at all.til my stuff hits this month .333 Music LLC,soon.peace.

The mainstream music has flowed to something new as it always has been. There will always be Gunners as there will be Zeppeliners (?) as there will be Dead Heads. Theres just less of them around now than when those bands were in their respectful primes. Its up to us to keep GNR alive (and all of the other late great bands).

There will always be another Lady Gaga that everybody falls in love with that everyone else who listens to so-called "real music" will hate on. Its taste. I just hope that the music business gets better and not worse than it already is. (I DO like Gaga however a lot of general mainstream is making me worried because its very repetative and boring).

:krider:

there's a differcne between disliking the music and branding someone a sell out and sort of ripping into for suicide, sort of rolling it all up into one argument. So many bands signed to majors why aren't they sell outs?

I think In Utero seems to venting all that frustration and spite which they had with record label and industry, and personal life. So in someways those shows where Cobain is spitting in the camera and trashing all the equipment is kind of part of show. So in a way it doesn't represent the person.

Not saying he handled it very well, or in a grown up way, but being grown up would have made him play nice for the record label and release Nevermind Lite and it would have been lame. Instead they turned it on it's head and did Rape Me with self righteous vengenance and All Apologise. It's much more interesting.

Edited by wasted