Guns N' Roses and the new generation

D..

You know, it pains me everytime I go on a random music forum and find no Guns N' Roses topic. Worse, when there is a Guns N' Roses topic who has one or two pages, while Kasabian or Radiohead have like 500 hundred pages of discussion. And when you go on the Guns N' Roses topic, people call Guns N' Roses "has been" and think their music is basic and that the band looks cheesy.

I don't know, am I one of the only left who still takes this band so seriously (even the old one)? The music is awesome and more technical than say 90% of what we're seeing now. The attitude was there, Axl had the balls to say what nobody would say, and nobody in 2010 would dare say what he said in some of his rants. I think they still look cool as fuck when I look at the 80's/90's videos and the 00's ones (and obviously the 2010 ones).

I can't believe today's world: young people in majority listen to electro/hip hop/rap shit and when I bring some GNR at a party, people go "what is that?" "Guns N' Roses" "What?" "Guns N' Roses" "Can you put some DJ shit back?"

What is this? It's like everyday is a nightmare to me when it comes to music, when I train at the gym, all I hear is some lady gaga shit, or other homosexual music, I can't stand it. I've never seen anyone wear a Guns N' Roses shirt.

I miss the 80's guys. Guns N' Roses are an ideal to me, their music is among the very best that was ever written when it comes to rock, and yet this 2010 world don't get it!

How do you entourage view GNR? My parents had never heard of them (they're over 50) and my bro doesn't get into it. My friends like soft rock or hip/hop shit. I can't stand it.

Edited by D..

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a senior in high school, and while most people listen to the 'new' lady gaga, muse, whatever, there are definate 'groups' of people who still appreciate real music. Most of these people are big Motley Crue, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Van Halen, etc etc fans, and undoubtedly they like GNR.

So really, some younger people might think of them as 'have been', but I don't give a fuck what those people's opinions are anyway. Guns are still going strong, no need to worry about what some little shit you don't know (or even like, for that matter) thinks of them.

"& other homosexual music" ? :lol:

Look, not everyone has the same taste in music. To be honest I think gnr fans are some of the best out there. If it's any consolation plenty of kids my age (16-20) know who Guns N Roses is. You might remember waay back in an old interview, I want to say it was Slash who said "Even if we're not around in 20 years, we still want the music to be there." And it is.

Edited by LaBellaVita

i dont even bother with my fellow young generation when it comes to music.

i just put on my headphones and crank out some rock n' roll. everyone is entiled to their opinion BUT its a fact that alot of people jus follow the trends when it comes to music.

the thing is us rock n roll fans, who feel like this, are keeping rock n roll alive.

we know what we like and we dont let others decide that for us.

from what i've seen u either follow what everyone else likes (lil wayne, lady gaga) or u follow what u urself likes.

the easier route is following the popular shit out there today. the price u pay for liking what u actually like (GNR in my case) is putting up with shit from others who dont follow what they like but what eveyone else likes. and thats the route i take, i suggest u take it too.

the price u pay for liking what u actually like (GNR in my case) is putting up with shit from others who dont follow what they like but what eveyone else likes. and thats the route i take, i suggest u take it too.

To be honest I somehow always fuck up my friends party because I'm always the one who brings the rock on (it can be some old Aerosmith tunes, GNR, Black Sabbath...), I just can't fake enjoying their hip hop stuff :rofl-lol: It's like when my friends are discussing about the football games, I don't care about that, I never fake who I am.

Thanks all for your positive replies, keep the thread alive, I'm always happy to see people who like true rock n roll. Maybe it's just where I live but I fear it's the same in a lot of other places judging from some forums on the internet.

You know, it pains me everytime I go on a random music forum and find no Guns N' Roses topic. Worse, when there is a Guns N' Roses topic who has one or two pages, while Kasabian or Radiohead have like 500 hundred pages of discussion. And when you go on the Guns N' Roses topic, people call Guns N' Roses "has been" and think their music is basic and that the band looks cheesy.

I don't know, am I one of the only left who still takes this band so seriously (even the old one)? The music is awesome and more technical than say 90% of what we're seeing now. The attitude was there, Axl had the balls to say what nobody would say, and nobody in 2010 would dare say what he said in some of his rants. I think they still look cool as fuck when I look at the 80's/90's videos and the 00's ones (and obviously the 2010 ones).

I can't believe today's world: young people in majority listen to electro/hip hop/rap shit and when I bring some GNR at a party, people go "what is that?" "Guns N' Roses" "What?" "Guns N' Roses" "Can you put some DJ shit back?"

What is this? It's like everyday is a nightmare to me when it comes to music, when I train at the gym, all I hear is some lady gaga shit, or other homosexual music, I can't stand it. I've never seen anyone wear a Guns N' Roses shirt.

I miss the 80's guys. Guns N' Roses are an ideal to me, their music is among the very best that was ever written when it comes to rock, and yet this 2010 world don't get it!

How do you entourage view GNR? My parents had never heard of them (they're over 50) and my bro doesn't get into it. My friends like soft rock or hip/hop shit. I can't stand it.

I have been saying this for how long now? Only gnr fan boards think this band is Gnr.

NO one cares, no one cared about CD and that is why if flopped and is not on the radio anymore.

The only gnr people really care about is the AFD/UYI version. People would still care if Slash and Izzy were still in the band. Most people think Izzy was all the talent and most gnr fans think axl is a dick for all the riots he causes and his always going on so late. You always get asshole chants at gnr shows when fans are waiting hours for axl to come one stage.

What do you expect? Most gnr fans gave up ten or 15 years ago. People still love the old band and even kids, that is why the GHs still sells so well, its once again back in the billboard 200 where as CD is not.

Edited by gnr-dave

I have been saying this for how long now? Only gnr fan boards think this band is Gnr.

NO one cares, no one cared about CD and that is why if flopped and is not on the radio anymore.

The only gnr people really care about is the AFD/UYI version. People would still care if Slash and Izzy were still in the band. Most people think Izzy was all the talent and most gnr fans think axl is a dick for all the riots he causes and his always going on so late. You always get asshole chants at gnr shows when fans are waiting hours for axl to come one stage.

What do you expect? Most gnr fans gave up ten or 15 years ago. People still love the old band and even kids, that is why the GHs still sells so well, its once again back in the billboard 200 where as CD is not.

Why do you do this? Why did you have to be such a buzz kill?

I kinda like that not everyone is into CD and GnR these days.......it makes it feel more like it is mine and only mine and nobody else is worthy enough to understand and enjoy GnR like I do. I think everyone has those type of connections with their favorite bands.

I kinda like that not everyone is into CD and GnR these days.......it makes it feel more like it is mine and only mine and nobody else is worthy enough to understand and enjoy GnR like I do. I think everyone has those type of connections with their favorite bands.

yes, exactly! thank you for saying that

the price u pay for liking what u actually like (GNR in my case) is putting up with shit from others who dont follow what they like but what eveyone else likes. and thats the route i take, i suggest u take it too.

To be honest I somehow always fuck up my friends party because I'm always the one who brings the rock on (it can be some old Aerosmith tunes, GNR, Black Sabbath...), I just can't fake enjoying their hip hop stuff :rofl-lol: It's like when my friends are discussing about the football games, I don't care about that, I never fake who I am.

Thanks all for your positive replies, keep the thread alive, I'm always happy to see people who like true rock n roll. Maybe it's just where I live but I fear it's the same in a lot of other places judging from some forums on the internet.

Just do this man!

I can't stand today's generation of music fans. They like Hip Hop and the Lady Gaga, Nickelback crap. What else I can't stand is that people let it being shoved down their throats. How bought turn the dial, maybe you'll find more, better music.

Even at the gym's their playing 99.3 the Buzz (the hip hip/ pop station) I could'nt stand working out and hearing Taylor Swift and Black Eye Pea's songs. There are Rock stations!

I also cannot stand people that can think Nickelback, Linkin Park and the Jonas Brothers are good rock bands. Good? You have got to be kidding me. I don't wanna listen song's with a guy with a TERRIBLE voice, about "giving up," and sound like girls. Jonas Brother's arent even a Rock band! Their pop, boy-band crap!

Rock and Roll will always be my thing. I like Motley Crue, GN'R, Aerosmith, Metallica, Def Leppard, Rob Zombie, Skid Row, Velvet Revolver, The Bealtes, The Who, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin and I'm fuckin' proud! I'm proud to not let this crappy pop trash get shoved down my throat. I hope many of you Rock fans are still liking the Rock and didnt sell out to the pop music or your friends.

Keep Rock and Roll alive!

I can't stand today's generation of music fans. They like Hip Hop and the Lady Gaga, Nickelback crap. What else I can't stand is that people let it being shoved down their throats. How bought turn the dial, maybe you'll find more, better music.

Even at the gym's their playing 99.3 the Buzz (the hip hip/ pop station) I could'nt stand working out and hearing Taylor Swift and Black Eye Pea's songs. There are Rock stations!

I also cannot stand people that can think Nickelback, Linkin Park and the Jonas Brothers are good rock bands. Good? You have got to be kidding me. I don't wanna listen song's with a guy with a TERRIBLE voice, about "giving up," and sound like girls. Jonas Brother's arent even a Rock band! Their pop, boy-band crap!

Rock and Roll will always be my thing. I like Motley Crue, GN'R, Aerosmith, Metallica, Def Leppard, Rob Zombie, Skid Row, Velvet Revolver, The Bealtes, The Who, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin and I'm fuckin' proud! I'm proud to not let this crappy pop trash get shoved down my throat. I hope many of you Rock fans are still liking the Rock and didnt sell out to the pop music or your friends.

Yeah I cant still the new generation of gnr fans. They would rather the band look normal and be nice guys even if they are less talented than have the band members look unique and be better musicians.

As for listening to singers with a terrible voice, you do know most music fans HATE Axls voice right??? Most think its terrible.

Gnr fans are the last fans should be pointing their finger at other singers. Those singers like Axl are an aquired taste, they are not for everyone.

Edited by gnr-dave

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Of course they are a "have been". People outside this forum define GN'R as the line ups between '87-'93. Since those lineups haven't released any albums since '93, it's not hard to realise why people view them as "have been".

Yeah I cant still the new generation of gnr fans. They would rather the band look normal and be nice guys even if they are less talented than have the band members look unique and be better musicians.

As for listening to singers with a terrible voice, you do know most music fans HATE Axls voice right??? Most think its terrible.

Gnr fans are the last fans should be pointing their finger at other singers. Those singers like Axl are an aquired taste, they are not for everyone.

Yeah but nothing compares to Chad Kroeger and his voice, it's so terrible. Anyway, yes, Axl's voice is sort of aquired but also well-known. That raspy- mellow- pitching voice is what is singing Jungle and Paradice City is sport staduims. And Axl is one othe best frontman ever. And I don't see many epople who hate Axls' voice, well on Youtube anyway. Maybe his 2002 voice, but his late 80's - early 90's voice was good.

And I want the band to look normal and bad-ass, but still have the rock and roll sounding edge to them. And I hope you dont mean looking unigue as wearing a top-hat and having long curly hair. At least Axl does'nt wear his leather pants or boxer shorts anymore.

Yeah but nothing compares to Chad Kroeger and his voice, it's so terrible. Anyway, yes, Axl's voice is sort of aquired but also well-known. That raspy- mellow- pitching voice is what is singing Jungle and Paradice City is sport staduims. And Axl is one othe best frontman ever. And I don't see many epople who hate Axls' voice, well on Youtube anyway. Maybe his 2002 voice, but his late 80's - early 90's voice was good.

And I want the band to look normal and bad-ass, but still have the rock and roll sounding edge to them. And I hope you dont mean looking unigue as wearing a top-hat and having long curly hair. At least Axl does'nt wear his leather pants or boxer shorts anymore.

Looking unique was referring to the BH and Goth Finck look of 99-04 vs the 2006-2010 generic rock look the have now.

Gnr even looked cool when they were in their glam days but got lame when Axl started changing 18 times a show.

Bob Dylans voice may be worse than Chad's but Dylan is one of the best US song writers if not the best of all time.

A lot of people even in the 80s thought Axls voice was too whiny, but a lot also liked it. It all depends on who was a fan of gnr or not.

Billy Corgan is another who can write great songs but has a terrible voice. You can have a bad voice but write great songs and people can look past the voice and get into the music.

Most people I show anything to on dvd have made me realize that even new people to this band are captivated, just tonight for example the person who knows GNR but doesn't know GNR was interested and wanted to watch more. I think alot of the fans are still there, if you look at the places they are playing, the fans, etc people want to see this band.

Looking unique was referring to the BH and Goth Finck look of 99-04 vs the 2006-2010 generic rock look the have now.

Gnr even looked cool when they were in their glam days but got lame when Axl started changing 18 times a show.

Bob Dylans voice may be worse than Chad's but Dylan is one of the best US song writers if not the best of all time.

A lot of people even in the 80s thought Axls voice was too whiny, but a lot also liked it. It all depends on who was a fan of gnr or not.

Billy Corgan is another who can write great songs but has a terrible voice. You can have a bad voice but write great songs and people can look past the voice and get into the music.

Buckhead's look unique, I think wierd. Finck as well. Buckethead was a good guitarist, a bit overrated on this forum, but he was one wierd looking dude, with the bucket, and mask and jumpsuit. And don't get me started on Finck and how he looked like a zombie. And Pitman looking like a male hooker did'nt help either. They looked weird, especially with Axl and his jogging pants and silk shirt and overweight. Obvioulsy they were the best talent - wise( they wrote most of CD) but there were the worst image-wise.

I think I personally like the band now the most image-wise, their a rock band again. Stinson isn't wearing a two-piece pagama like outfit and Bumblefoot is more in shape and lost the beenie. Axl looks good with the traditional bandana and long hair look and DJ Ashba, as much as he looks like a Slash clone, is a great aquisition image-wise, he's a fucking rock star. Which GN'R have always been, a Rock band, not some band from another planet. If GN'R made the 2000 comback now, people would love them. Well the people who would give them a fucking chance. Especially with Axl singing like he does today, the media and fans would have embraced them with open arms.

Buckhead's look unique, I think wierd. Finck as well. Buckethead was a good guitarist, a bit overrated on this forum, but he was one wierd looking dude, with the bucket, and mask and jumpsuit. And don't get me started on Finck and how he looked like a zombie. And Pitman looking like a male hooker did'nt help either. They looked weird, especially with Axl and his jogging pants and silk shirt and overweight. Obvioulsy they were the best talent - wise( they wrote most of CD) but there were the worst image-wise.

I think I personally like the band now the most image-wise, their a rock band again. Stinson isn't wearing a two-piece pagama like outfit and Bumblefoot is more in shape and lost the beenie. Axl looks good with the traditional bandana and long hair look and DJ Ashba, as much as he looks like a Slash clone, is a great aquisition image-wise, he's a fucking rock star. Which GN'R have always been, a Rock band, not some band from another planet. If GN'R made the 2000 comback now, people would love them. Well the people who would give them a fucking chance. Especially with Axl singing like he does today, the media and fans would have embraced them with open arms.

If anyone is overrated on this forum its Ron. He is not even close to being as good as BH. And how is BH overrated? Go listen to the TWAT solo again.

As for the 2002 band looking worse image wise I beg to different, that was the most interesting looking and diverse band. The band now is just a generic looking and generic talented band.

Like I have said before people knew who BH was, no one knows who Ron is. BH was the one person in this band who beside Axl had hte IT factor. When BH was playing all eyes were on him and off Axl.

No one since slash could do that. RON cant even come close to doing that, Ron is a bore to watch on stage. DJ is just a poser, the guy is EMO. You really like his EMO look? Please, id take BHs look or Fincks goth look over that any day. DJ looks like he should be in an emo band He is far from a rock star look.

While I think he can play the AFD stuff better than Finck, he still struggles with the industral stuff Finck was doing, and that is why DJ was not really a great pick for the new songs. But I still like DJ more than Ron. Dj can cover BHs parts very well, I will give him that.

If the 2002 version of gnr (with BH, Finck and Brain) and Axls non braided look, the band would be much bigger and better than they are now.

The 2002 version of this band was the most talented version of gnr, even better than the AFD version of the band. But Axl blew it because he took so long.

The 2002 version of this band with that look would be HUGE right now. That is the kind of stuff kids eat up. Hell kids love slip knot and bands like that.

The change from the late 80s to now is that most people listen to different types of music. There's no real fan loyalty to one band, it's all Now mixes and what gets covered on Idol.

Go through every band out there, and ask a fan to name all the band members. I'm talking about the past 20 years. 1990-2010... bands that came out AFTER 1990. You probably can count them on one hand,. maybe one finger. Nirvana might be it,.

I'm not sure what Axl said in his rants that no one would have the balls to say in 2010. I think there's some cringe-worthy lyrics in hard rock and metal, but that's always been the case. Some people wrote brilliant lyrics though.

I think Kanye West says WAY more than Axl ever did.

I don't know if I ever took GNR's music serious. I enjoyed it. I still do. I think they did their thing and made a big impact, and feel they're a big part of music history and even if they put only AFD out, they would be legends based on that one album, just like the Sex Pistols. Fact.

I think either Alicia Keys or Lady Gaga would be interesting if they did one of the piano-based songs with him. Interesting good or bad remains to be seen. But if they're fans, why not. I'd love to see someone keep up with Axl, and vice versa.