Guns N' Roses and the new generation

D..

People who liked Chuck Berry whined about the Rolling Stones being bland and rip offs, fans of the Rolling Stones whined about Led Zeppelin being bland and rip offs, fans of Led Zeppelin whined about Guns N' Roses being bland and rip offs, fans of Guns N' Roses whined about Nirvana being bland and rip offs, etc.

There is many music I like that probably no one does, I couldn't give a monkey's ass. When one starts whining about things like this, it means he is getting old or uncomfortable with his life staying stationary while everything around him changes.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well not sure this counts or anything but still worth a look. My son is 8 years old and has heard a vast variety of music spanning decades from all genres. One of his first favorite artists was Alice Cooper, which is cool cause he was one of mine way back as well. Anyway long story short this week at school is his "star" week, meaning its his week to talk about what he likes and family, pets, etc etc. Here is a photo of one of the many papers he brought home today from the star week. Keep in mind I had no idea about this till today, these are his favorite things:

5bocc6.jpg. 2lcs0vp.jpg

Remember he has been exposed to countless artists in his life so far, in fact he joined the choir in grade 1 all by himself, he came home and said I joined the choir! He loves music and has been pulling A+ in that class, he is very good at hearing the different sounds instruments make etc. I just find it kinds cute he picked that song, it is the one that stuck in his head. On the last tour he begged me to go, but for obvious reasons I could not bring him, next time maybe :)

Rock is dead, there is your answer. No one cares about it anymore.

It's not just that, it is that no one cares about MUSIC anymore. Music used to be so important to the general public but now it is just background noise of the phones, the computers, and HD TV's. If it isn't a hooky bullshit 30 second lyric they can spout off to their friends and coworkers - they don't give a shit. That is just the way it is now and it is sad...just sad. I actually wrote a quick poem about this very thing a few months back....

"DISPOSABLE"

When I was a boy it was my whole life

The tones and melodies wrapped around my brain

Headphones and cassettes carefully kept

For consumption again after school

I read all the lyrics inside the plastic cases

Who played on what tune and what they were thinking

The fascination stayed with me for many years

I never thought of it as being that "cool"

As I grew older I started to follow

In the footsteps of all those who inspired me then

Back when people listened and sung in their cars

Or just chilled out in their rooms

Now they are too busy with all of their gadgets

They pretend to love it the way that I still do

But it is obvious to me it is just noise in the background

Disposable music for the consumers to consume

Rock is dead, there is your answer. No one cares about it anymore.

It's not just that, it is that no one cares about MUSIC anymore.

That's complete and utter bullshit. How many teenagers are you even around? I know tons, and they're not only just as obsessed with music as I was (I'm 30) but for the most part, alot of them are even MORE into it. Rock music isn't even close to dead either it's just that everything has changed. When I was 16, we drove to best buy when a record launched and got ourselves a copy. Now, they're downloading it on itunes or torrent sites. Instead of hanging around on their couches for their favorite videos to air on MTV, they're on youtube watching them. Every teenager owns some sort of MP3 player with a billion songs on it.

All in all, music is just as alive as it was then. Rock music is HUGE as well, but it's changed. You may hate genre's like emo and such (I know I do), but the kids love it and in that, rock lives on because emo IS rock...just a different version...a version I can't stand.

Just because rock music has changed, doesn't mean it's dead. YOUR favorite rock music is dead, yes....but rock isn't dead. Rock will never die.

Uhh, I don't really get what's so confusing about music being lost throughout the years. Obviously, GN'R is fucking sick. But like everything, time goes on and generations become ignorant. I'm 17 and I think Guns is boss. Others may disagree, I really don't care. I've been made fun of for liking this band, but whatever .. Life goes on. Just thankful that I randomly heard one of their songs, it's what introduced me to rock n' roll. My mom listened to Celine Dion and LeAnn Rhymes my whole life. Woo, lmfao.

Edited by Gibbz

We live in an attention deficit society today. Any band that takes 15 years to release one album would be forgotten. Look at the business plan for most rappers. They churn out several albums in a very short time to capitalize on the momentum of a hit single,especially the up and comers. People want what they want NOW.

As someone else stated, rock is dead. There is no scene to speak of today. The last great gasp for a rock scene was the Seattle scene of the 90s. Everything today is very fractured.

And lets face it, Axl Rose rubs a lot of people the wrong way. Say you're a young fan that loves the band, you get tix to a show and the motherfucker comes on 2 hours late. That's not a good first impression and with so many other bands out there why bother with a band that can't even be respectful to its fans?? When I first saw them in 88 they were young and had that hunger to them and they were on time. Success doesn't give you the right to treat your fan base like shit.

Gnr could have been the next Stones but they blew it. You can blame who you want but the basic fact is that they blew it.

Bigger aint necessarily always better though. All of them, except for Adler, is doing alright for themselves. Shouldn't that be enough? Before the so called classic lineup dissolved they did quite a few amazing things. 99,999999% of musicians will never come even close, artistically or hedonistically... :thumbsup:

The Stones did do some important stuff back in the day, now they are a very boring corporate rock mammoth. Churning out completely boring and repetitive world tours year after year... is that so cool then? I'd say no thank you to that.

And to comment on the original topic: yeah, you go into complete media exile and work on a masterpiece for 15 years, things are a bit different when you emerge from the bunker. Even when things seem still after you slam the door to the bunker shut, the world actually keeps turning even if you are not looking. ;)

I can tell you from my own experience as a musician. I'm sort of between two worlds. Appetite and Nevermind were both huge. I came up walking the razor's edge between the indie/punk scene and straight -up rock.Yeah, a lot of the indie kids see Axl as a geezer. A lot see him as the second coming of Sid Vicious. So...ultimately, real musicians recognize the genius. But, small minded gutter punks see GN'R as old farts. I doubt Axl gives a fuck. He's a musician's musician. I don't study the too cool for the room fucks that say Kurt was a sellout-they do, and they are fucking morons. Signing with a major and getting a good sounding mix isn't selling out. Going along with the trend is. In that sense, most of the indie kids are more conformist than those they attack.

Namaste.

bax

I don't study the too cool for the room fucks that say Kurt was a sellout-they do, and they are fucking morons. Signing with a major and getting a good sounding mix isn't selling out. Going along with the trend is. In that sense, most of the indie kids are more conformist than those they attack.

I agree with your last sentence, however concerning Kurt Cobain, the problem is what he said, not wanting to go mainstream, that his fans didn't understand his music, that he didn't want Nirvana to be so popular, if he really thought that, why go to a major and coming on MTV? That's fucking ridiculous. In some interviews, he looked like a nice fella, but truth is his words didn't match with some of his actions. But that's not the subject of the thread.

I don't study the too cool for the room fucks that say Kurt was a sellout-they do, and they are fucking morons. Signing with a major and getting a good sounding mix isn't selling out. Going along with the trend is. In that sense, most of the indie kids are more conformist than those they attack.

I agree with your last sentence, however concerning Kurt Cobain, the problem is what he said, not wanting to go mainstream, that his fans didn't understand his music, that he didn't want Nirvana to be so popular, if he really thought that, why go to a major and coming on MTV? That's fucking ridiculous. In some interviews, he looked like a nice fella, but truth is his words didn't match with some of his actions. But that's not the subject of the thread.

Money.

It gets the best of us. **shrugs**

Why go to a major?proper distribution and funding to get a good sound.MTV-that's the label's gig,not his.

Money.

It gets the best of us. **shrugs**

If he was so concerned with money-would he have bought this house instead of a mansion in Beverly Hills?

http://360digest.com/wp-content/uploads/kurt_cobain_house_jpg.jpg

I dig Tegan and Sara btw.But,you're just plain wrong here.No offense.

I see some young guys to wear GNR t-shirts.I believe there is new generation...but i I miss the 80's guys....The old days when music was better.thats the truth.Now days we dont hear good music

Edited by nickzark

Why go to a major?proper distribution and funding to get a good sound.MTV-that's the label's gig,not his.

Come on man you are blinding yourself. He was double talking, this guy has no honour. And it shows in the music, even when I was a teenager I never bought that Nirvana shit.

Come on man you are blinding yourself. He was double talking, this guy has no honour. And it shows in the music, even when I was a teenager I never bought that Nirvana shit.

no honor?back that up..he did make a deal w/the devil, no doubt.but, he followed it up w/a Incesticide,which contained a diatribe against the segments of his fan base that were racist,sexist,or just plain dumb.then he did In Utero w/probably the toughest nosed indie producer out there,Steve Albini.Then, he did Unplugged and played a bunch of covers 99% of the audience didn't know.your basing your statement on nada sir.

no honor?back that up..he did make a deal w/the devil, no doubt.but, he followed it up w/a Incesticide,which contained a diatribe against the segments of his fan base that were racist,sexist,or just plain dumb.then he did In Utero w/probably the toughest nosed indie producer out there,Steve Albini.Then, he did Unplugged and played a bunch of covers 99% of the audience didn't know.your basing your statement on nada sir.

The fact is he complained about being famous, that he didn't want that life, don't wanna be a rock star, yet he comes on MTV, gets his prize, gets max exposure, I call this double talking. I don't care how underground he thought he was, fact is, most of his songs are "chorus verse chorus verse" (i think there even is a nirvana song with that title), very commercial, and he wants to play the underground man. This is bullshit.

I hope that one day, some people with brain will look back at music history and realize a guy like Kurt Cobain was a sold out man, and Axl Rose is not. It's like Kurt Cobain became some kind of god when he died when nobody gives a shit about Layne Staley (at least in the medias). I call this bull fucking shit man. Kurt cobain was a man with many weaknesses and was self contradictory. I don't respect the man nor his songs, suicide while you have the chance to have a daughter and such fame is fucking bullshit. No really it's a sad story but I can't take this guy as a man, more like a teenager with all his contradictions and delusions that never grew up into a man.

You know, it pains me everytime I go on a random music forum and find no Guns N' Roses topic. Worse, when there is a Guns N' Roses topic who has one or two pages, while Kasabian or Radiohead have like 500 hundred pages of discussion. And when you go on the Guns N' Roses topic, people call Guns N' Roses "has been" and think their music is basic and that the band looks cheesy.

I don't know, am I one of the only left who still takes this band so seriously (even the old one)? The music is awesome and more technical than say 90% of what we're seeing now. The attitude was there, Axl had the balls to say what nobody would say, and nobody in 2010 would dare say what he said in some of his rants. I think they still look cool as fuck when I look at the 80's/90's videos and the 00's ones (and obviously the 2010 ones).

I can't believe today's world: young people in majority listen to electro/hip hop/rap shit and when I bring some GNR at a party, people go "what is that?" "Guns N' Roses" "What?" "Guns N' Roses" "Can you put some DJ shit back?"

What is this? It's like everyday is a nightmare to me when it comes to music, when I train at the gym, all I hear is some lady gaga shit, or other homosexual music, I can't stand it. I've never seen anyone wear a Guns N' Roses shirt.

I miss the 80's guys. Guns N' Roses are an ideal to me, their music is among the very best that was ever written when it comes to rock, and yet this 2010 world don't get it!

How do you entourage view GNR? My parents had never heard of them (they're over 50) and my bro doesn't get into it. My friends like soft rock or hip/hop shit. I can't stand it.

In these days, teenagers don't listen to rock & roll. They prefer hip hop, pop. Things change.

I think taking a quick overview of Cobain where he sells out to get famous, then complains about it, then commits suicide, then on the face of it is a bit sickening.

But I read Heavier than heaven and everything happens slowly and not as you'd think. For example when signing to major label it was under the guidance of Sonic Youth who were also on Geffen (Sonic Youth could never sell out), it was a way to improve their life at least, afford a better sound, pay rent? no one thought it was guaranteed success at all. They were one of many bands, some debuts sell, some don't. Even think the choice of producers was more that Cobain liked some pop music, like the Kinks or Ramones type of punk. Not really a play for world domination. It was a sarcastic sell out.

Then once they did sell a ton of records people called them sell outs, where it really was out of their control, pure luck. I think the record company again toured them into the ground on a neverending tour which put the whole band under physical strain. The band thought it was a good idea to use their popularity to spread a message, maybe in someway Nirvana were changing what was accepted as mainstream, but really it didn't work because the songs just became anthems for beer drinking jocks. So it became like a cosmic joke on Cobain, but still he perserved in trying to rock as humanly possible on In Utero but still within the accepted Back in Black format, that most big bands have to conform to. I don't think he could sell out really, that type of music just isnt sell out territory. and could he never be a celebrity.

I think after that he just wanted to take a break from the whole thing, but record company, band members wouldn't let him. Added to this he had a massive drug problem, and seems to me to have been doing anything with the band just so he could get back to his drugs, he was hiding in plain sight almost unaware of what he was experiencing. I really think reason for his suicide was heroin withdrawal which makes many addicts kill themsleves at their lowest point. the note he left reeks of someone not in his right mind who sees no worth in himself as a human being i.e. clinical depression. I think he was isolated from his family, friends and his career or image was nothing like how he wanted to be seen.

I guess if you don't like the music, and just get a general idea of who is from the media, then just looks like spoilt rock star commits suicide. And there's no real reason to give him benefit of the doubt. but I doubt it was like that really. you can make decisions in life that you regret and change, you may not always have full control over everything, or how it turns out even if you do everything right. maybe it was going to happen anyway and the two things arent connected. there's plenty of people who sell out who are walking around thinking they are pure punk rock anarchy.

just my take on the book really. doesnt seem like the scale of the success was planned. although you get the feeling that maybe he felt like a fake getting all the awards, and money, and fame. that he really believed what the media were telling him.

These days most people at my age (19) prefer everything else than rock. Shame, but that's just how it is. Again, there are still some people who loves rock, and I'll say a mojority of my friends does. I put on gnr whenever I want, and sometimes I get shit for it from the techno kids, but normally everyone likes it. Even the ones who doesn't listen to rock appreciate Sweet Child. Again, I've seen many people my age wear gnr shirts, yeah! But never seen anyone wear a Queen shirt, dammit...

I think it's about how the music worls is in all right now. Gnr are still out there, even if we don't see them on people's shirts every day. The shows so far sold well, I believe that is a sign?

Interesting views Wasted, yeah maybe it's not as black and white, we'll never know for sure anyway, but what I do know is that I don't like Cobain's attitude in the videos I've watched from youtube, except in some rare interviews where he seems settled and at peace.

The shows so far sold well, I believe that is a sign?

Do you know if they sold out yet in Norway? The weird thing is that, four years ago, according to HTGTH the norway show sold out in like 10 minutes and I think it's still not sold out for these 2010 shows...

Also I hope we'll have a setlist as long as in canada or south america because it's just an arena in norway, while they have played a lot of stadiums recently.

In these days, teenagers don't listen to rock & roll. They prefer hip hop, pop. Things change.

Young people used to prefer rock because it signified rebellion.

Rock 'n' Roll was about giving the middle finger to the establishment.

There was a sense of danger - real or manufactured - rock pissed off your teachers and parents.

It was full of naughty language and the rock stars themselves were troublemakers, drug-addicts and sex fiends.

It's no surprise that hip hop is more popular with young people today.

Whether it's true or not - hip hop appears more forbidden than rock does today. It's more offensive to the sensibilities of authority figures than rock is.

There was a sense of danger - real or manufactured - rock pissed off your teachers and parents.

It was full of naughty language and the rock stars themselves were troublemakers, drug-addicts and sex fiends.

Whether it's true or not - hip hop appears more forbidden than rock does today. It's more offensive to the sensibilities of authority figures than rock is.

Sure maybe there was all this sense of rebellion behind rock a and maybe nowadays hip hop is closer to this spirit (let's be honest, few rock bands are agressive nowadays towards the establishment, society, etc, in fact, as for rock records, Chinese democracy may be the most agressive rock album I've seen these last ten or twenty years) but it also seems to me that young people today prefer simple music with just drum and bass, they don't appreciate great melodies with complex guitar solos, anyway it's the impression i get from people of my generation and younger generation.

I agree. But in the 80s and 90s, there were a lot of rock bands, something we don’t have today. Some years ago, the promotion of rock bands was everywhere: TV, radio stations, magazines. For example, now music channels and radio stations are full of hip hop/pop/rap music. Magazine articles are about hip hop, rap, pop artists. Music business changed. Where are the young rockers? We don’t have the same amount of rock bands as we had in the 80s/90s. People are influenced by the things they watch on tv, by the magazines they buy. Nowadays, people are influenced by a different musical trend.