Digital Cameras

Orsys

Okay, I'm a techy but I'm not in any way a camera buff. I'm leaving for Europe in a few weeks and it's time to get that digital camera. I have looked at the Canon PowerShot SD780 IS and Canon PowerShot SD960 IS but that's it so far.

I need small size, not expensive (less than $300CDN ideally), good for wide (scenic) and close shots. Good indoor and outdoor shots. Records movies.

Any thoughts?

I'm not very good with any of this, but I have a sony cybershot w350 in black. it's really good looking, i love it. The picture quality is great and I love everything I can do with it. I've had it for two and a half years now and it's still brand-new looking.

I'm not a big Canon fan (I personally prefer Olympus), but I'm also talking SLR's. I think I'm gonna try a Canon high-end point and shoot, because I'm so disappointed with my newer Kodak in concert settings.

In point and shoots, Canon OWN Olympus. Olympus point and shoots have terrible build quality (worked in retail, sold a lot of cameras).

Most mid-high range point and shoots from Canon and Panasonic are good choices. I have a TZ7 but it might be out of your budget.

thought I read Olympus uses proprietery SD flash memory cards for their point and shoots? If this is true it is a drawback IMHO....

They do. They use the XD format and it's typically 30-40% more expensive than SD.

Speaking of which I am looking for a small cheap camera I can slip in my pocket for concerts...I see adds for 10-12 megapixel cameras for less han $100...anyone have any suggestions on a small good cheap point and shoot?

Don't have one for you off the top of my head, but look for something with a big zoom. Some of those hi-res cameras that are super cheap take shitty photos - what you're after is something small with a reasonable zoom that takes good pictures in the dark.

Speaking of which I am looking for a small cheap camera I can slip in my pocket for concerts...I see adds for 10-12 megapixel cameras for less han $100...anyone have any suggestions on a small good cheap point and shoot?

I bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS62 a little while ago and i'm very happy with it.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2009/12/20/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FS62/p1