New GNR is a caged bird that's needs to be set free

Kaneda

I'm not surprised by the lingering anxiousness on this board. Some fans are as happy as a clam at high tide: celebrating the album, following the tour, etc. Others are still bitching and moaning about the set list, lack of a music video, DJ working on new songs, hoarders holding onto multi-tracks, etc. A typical day in the GNR neighborhood if you ask me. Having seen this new band play, I can honestly say they are capable of magic. But something critical needs to happen if this band wants to achieve its potential - it needs to let go of the past.

For so many years different musicians have contributed to GUNS and the songs they created may be amazing, some may suck, but as long as they exist only in people's imaginations, they will only serve one purpose: to disappoint fans. Additionally, any new member of GUNS is unfairly held accountable for "prohibiting" us from hearing the work of those past great musicians (like bucket, brain, robin, freeze, heck even Slash). Imagine how they must feel, trying to create something new when so many people won't give them a chance. But again, the only way to move forward is to let go.

By letting go, I mean letting the music go. Get it out there, let it be heard. Don't change it, try and recreate it. Just let it go the way it was supposed to be heard when it was created with serendipity. Music is an art and the artist's first inclination is usually his/her strongest. And an artist loves to work with a blank canvas, not fix or change something already created by another artist. Sure they can do it, but their heart and their soul won't be in it.

I am super excited that DJ is working on new tracks. He's in Guns guys, what do you expect him to do? Just sit around waiting? Bands create music, that's what they do. I really believe Axl would find great peace in letting go of the material between 1996-2006. Release a box set, call it something like, "The Lost Guns"...And then start fresh with this band. Imagine, not having to go back and re-do songs, just starting fresh.

The key to letting go is forgiveness, which is probably the hardest thing for any of us to do in life. If Axl feels betrayed by some of the past members, I can understand why he doesn't want them on the future albums. Problem is, their work is going to the best. By trying to re-do the parts and bury those that aggravated him, it just leads to an endless cycle of contempt.

I will support this band and the decisions they make. My only hope is that they are allowed to be free and create music together, without the shadow of the past weighing them down. Free up these virtuoso musicians and I guarantee some of the greatest rock n roll will be born. Rock on...

CK

I know how to "free the bird", change the name of the band.

And kill the cash cow?

Axl's cash cow. If the "members" of this band like to continue to live under the shadow of the previous members and sound, then continuing to tour and release record(s) under Guns N' Roses is the way to do it; releasing all the previous nuGNR material isn't going to do much to alleviate it.

And kill the cash cow?

How many units of Chinese Democracy would had sold if the name Guns N'Roses were not attached to it.

Impossible to answer that. You could throw several "ifs" into the equation and it could have sold more. If it was called The Axl Rose Band and promoted it may have sold more????

Chasing album sales is the wrong approach. What you need to do is get the music to be part of the culture. Do that, and sales will sky rocket. The original GNR was a cultural movement in itself; their sound re-defined rock n roll. People would be into this music more if it were delivered to them properly. It's too much to digest with no context around it.

No. That would just be giving in to the naysayers and haters.

The next album should be self-titled, would be a nice "fuck you" to the haters.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

That would be great for them to just name it Guns N' Roses.

:fuckyou: the haters!

I'm sorry but anyone who believes that the material that is unreleased is better than Chinese Democracy is a complete idiot, a too much hopeful dissillusioned fan, or just a cupcake who wants whatever they can not have.

Regardless, there is a reason that those (which we only know the names of!!!) songs did not make CD. They are not good enough, or not equal to and obviously not better than ANY of the songs of Chinese Democracy.

I'm sorry but if u can come up with a better reason those songs "the magic bird" or whatever the hell u wanna call em' were not on Chinese Democracy (a album that took countless years, money, and players to make).

nothing wrong with hope but can u guys use some common sense. have some hope for the current band if u want to.

Edited by Lose Your Illusions

I'm sorry but anyone who believes that the material that is unreleased is better than Chinese Democracy is a complete idiot, a too much hopeful dissillusioned fan, or just a cupcake who wants whatever they can not have.

Regardless, there is a reason that those (which we only know the names of!!!) songs did not make CD. They are not good enough, or not equal to and obviously not better than ANY of the songs of Chinese Democracy.

I'm sorry but if u can come up with a better reason those songs "the magic bird" or whatever the hell u wanna call em' were not on Chinese Democracy (a album that took countless years, money, and players to make).

nothing wrong with hope but can u guys use some common sense. have some hope for the current band if u want to.

If that's the case then Axl must have sat around and jacked off for 14 years. He can do better than what came out on CD or at least he used to be able to.

If that's the case then Axl must have sat around and jacked off for 14 years. He can do better than what came out on CD or at least he used to be able to.

Thats just your opinion of CD. Thank you for adding another categorey of people who believe the songs not on CD are better than those of CD. A person who simply did not like Chinese Democracy!

and thats really stupid considering the same band members that played on CD played on the unreleased material.

but hey u know the song titles and they sound better than the titles of CD songs so atleast u got that going for ya.

Edited by Lose Your Illusions

In my opinion, I think the song's on Chinese Dmecoracy aren't the best songs, definatley the most worked on, but not the best. Obvioulsy, most of them are great, but most of them were already leaked. It's possible that they might have just got all the songs that were leaked and released them, I mean half the album was leaked!

I have a feeling the new material and unreleased material will be more hard rock, industrial, and hard-edged than Chinese Democracy. I could be wrong though.

Agreed Kaneda.

However - I fear that the music is still under the control of the label and they won't release it unless it's going to be a major GNR release. They're not going to release a "lost guns" box set that only a few hardcore fans are going to buy.

In regards to the idea that the songs on CD were only chosen because of the leaks.

I don't buy that, it's perfectly possible that Guns have known for a long time what songs were going to be on the album and therefore these were the demos sent to the record company and passed around various individuals. Skewrl, or however you spell it, claims to have got his songs from a contact within Universal, how did he get those 9 songs? Because those were the ones Axl picked to go on the album. If they just sent up a whole bunch of random songs to choose from then I reckon we would have a lot more leaks on our Ipods than we do now.

I think Axl should release as much of the worked on material as possible over the next few years and the faster mabye the better, I just hope that all these lawsuit issues stirring up arnt keeping new music from us longer than was planned :*( Also i want those epic music videos we heard about for the cd songs and then i want some for future songs =D ........am i asking for too much ? lol

Edited by amacfantasy

I think Axl should release as much of the worked on material as possible over the next few years and the faster mabye the better, I just hope that all these lawsuit issues stirring up arnt keeping new music from us longer than was planned :*( Also i want those epic music videos we heard about for the cd songs and then i want some for future songs =D ........am i asking for too much ? lol

Yeah, I wonder what happened with the Novemer Rain type video's we were supposed to get? You might, a big might, hear a new song on the Rock Band 3 game, from what I heard from our "insider" ManetBr.

I think the lawsuits will affect the U.S. tourm ore than the new album that could be released this year.

I think Axl should just release all the material but I doubt he'll do that.

Axl had to do that since he got the cute idea of destroying the band in 1994, Phil Collins didn't need to use the name of Genesis to keep his fame to date!

...Paul McCartney is still around as well ! so I wonder why Mr Rose still wanna fool people around (at tellin' that GNR is alive? ) :confused:

Axl had to do that since he got the cute idea of destroying the band in 1994, Phil Collins didn't need to use the name of Genesis to keep his fame to date!

...Paul McCartney is still around as well ! so I wonder why Mr Rose still wanna fool people around (at tellin' that GNR is alive? ) :confused:

True. Once Ringo dies, I wonder if Paul will consider himself "the last man standing" and start calling himself The Beatles.

Edited by Mad Hatter