Helsinki, Finland; June 5th

LEARNING PROCESS

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in Helsinki airport heading back to the UK, quick review from the mobile web for you. My 4th gig in 4th country, it was the best I've seen regarding vocals etc.. although the 1st few tracks axls voice was low in the mix. Good crowd, fins like to get hammered it seems lol! Band was awesome, axl was awesome, awesome show! More detailed review when I get home.

I saw Jarmo!

great show. Axl sounded perfect. No surprises though.

that`s my review

Where do you see them? ( Jermo, Beta ...)

You go backstage?

When I go to concerts i never shacke hands with the stars. :(

I can answer (if you don´t mind...) :rolleyes:

I think most of us (close to stage) saw them at the pit-area between the audience and stage. /jarmo walked through very quickly, Del : same thing but Beta came and stayed little longer, hugged few people at the front row and shook my hand (i waved to her earlier and she waved back :wub: i personally don´t care or even understand what on earth people on GN`R-forums have against her?!?!? She seems like a really nice lady. Someone who looked very much like Fernando (can someone confirm was it him?) gave me (and others at he front) GN`R/BBF-plectrum, too rock3

ps. GREAT pictures, Angeles_

Edited by makkonen

I saw Jarmo!

that`s my review

You go backstage?

I think most of us (close to stage) saw them at the pit-area between the audience and stage. /jarmo walked through very quickly, Del : same thing but Beta came and stayed little longer, hugged few people at the front row and shook my hand (i waved to her earlier and she waved back :wub: i personally don´t care or even understand what on earth people on GN`R-forums have against her?!?!? She seems like a really nice lady. Someone who looked very much like Fernando (can someone confirm was it him?) gave me (and others at he front) GN`R/BBF-plectrum, too rock3

Yeah, I mean I saw Jarmo, lol. I told my wife "look there`s a guy who banned me from a GNR forum". That was funny moment.

It's always weird seeing Axl on stage before dark.

I think a concert it's better when it's at night....

I think Axl and the band had to go out because of a contract agreement...

In my country we waited until midnight and people was insane, screaming like hell!

This Helsinki crowd was to calm for my taste... :shrugs:

are you the annoying brazilian guy with the flag that didnt do anything else than jump with his back turned to the stage the whole gig?

Nightrain was awesome! The whole gig was awesome actually. Shame that Axl's vocals were down in the mix on CD and Jungle. This I Love blew my mind. I love that song and I was amazed how good Axl sounded. DJ and Fortus kicked ass. Well, the whole band did. Axl really seemed like he was having a good time. One of the greatest gigs I've been at. I'm kinda happy I didn't get to see them in 2006, cause this line-up is the shit! They seem more like a band, instead of a group of people just playing together, which was the impression I had about the 2006-band.

Amazing show, 9/10. I had sooooo much fun.

I saw Jarmo!

that`s my review

You go backstage?

Yeah, I mean I saw Jarmo, lol. I told my wife "look there`s a guy who banned me from a GNR forum". That was funny moment.

:rofl-lol:

Back in the UK, time for my review of the gig.

Had a great 4 days in Helsinki, lots of sightseeing, loads of koff beer, crowmore cider and a fowl beer with a bear on it that i don't wish to talk about any further! A wonderful little city full of amazing looking women, jesus you people have got the best genes in the world!

Anyway...... failed to attend meet and greet with bbf as i ended up drinking in Kallio at some cheaper bars around midday and my friends didn't really fancy leaving! I didn't take much persuading to stay, given the 2 euro 50 cent beer! As a result of this i also missed the pre show meet at on the rocks. I had spent the previous 2 evenings in the place until 3am though! (great bar actually, fab music, only place i have ever heard double talking jive played in the club! in addition to rocket queen and nightrain on the same night - awesome!) Some crazy gnr must have been putting requests in!

Walked from Kallio to the gig, arrived around 5pm, grabbed 2 fosters and watched danko from the beer area, we were all very impressed! Quite an entertaining act with some good tunes!

Purchased a cool gnr shirt with the Finnish flag on the back. (will be donning this at leeds fest later in the year!)

Toilet break (good facilities by the way) then back to the bar, 2 more fosters and watched skunk, thought they were rubbish, 2 half decent songs and the rest was just a noise to me i'm afraid. Skin has the energy on stage but i just didn't get the noise, sorry music.

Time for a couple of jagermeister and another facility break then into position for GNR.

Managed to get a good spot 20 yards from the front of the stage dead centre. The wait began, started to need the toilet again, as fucking always lol! my 9pm estimate came and went, bumble was playing with and acoustic on the left side of the stage for about half an hour before GNR came on, he looked to be waiting patiently. Sure enough, 915 arrives, i decide to make a run for the toilet and sods law intro begins, i run back to original position to meet my laughing mates (without emptying bladder) and CD intro begins, awesome!

CD - Great opener, first time i've heard it live, everyone around me was into it, even a small group of idiot teenagers who tried to get some boos going after about the 30 minute wait mark. (they soon shut the fuck up when the show began )

Axls voice was a a little hard to hear, low in the mix?

WTTJ - Awesome as per usual, everyone was head banging now! Again axls voice, low in the mix.

Easy, Brownstone - excellent

Vocal was a lot louder after the first 4 songs for me.

Rocket Queen - a highlight for me, 1st time ive seen it performed even though this was my fourth show, axls voice fucking rocked!

TIL - WOW! again, that voice! Best it has been since the 80s. Without a shadow of a doubt.

SOD - Again, amazing vocal and performance.

Infact every song was great, i have no complaints, this was my 4th GNR show and the best overall performance i've seen. solid band, everything was great! DJ is a real prize and clearly enjoys himself!

There was nothing to complain about at this gig in my eyes, axl was on in good time really, 45 mins was nothing to wait. Any people moaning about that performance are fucking strange in my eyes, the sound problems at the beginning were minor.

I won't get greedy and say i would have liked to hear.......... ITW etc.... hopefully another time!

Finally got to the toilet after the gig, you will all be pleased to no

Can't wait for leeds and maybe one more on the euro tour later in the year!

Walked back to hotel in city centre, had some gin in the hotel then headed out after the gig to a sports bar opposite the train station where we met some lovely Finnish hookers, my mate thought he'd pulled lol

Overall, a great GNR road trip once again, my 4th gig in 4th country, a great time had by all (inlcuding a GNR skeptic who attended download 06 and hated it)! Anyone who hasn't ventured abroad to see GNR i woudl highly recommend it, way more enjoyable than waiting for them to visit your home town!

How i managed to go to work today, i have no idea! Now, sleep..........................

ps: You Fins like a drink, i've never seen so many absolutely shit faced people (as in, can't walk pissed) at a gig lol - crazy!

Nightrain was awesome! The whole gig was awesome actually. Shame that Axl's vocals were down in the mix on CD and Jungle. This I Love blew my mind. I love that song and I was amazed how good Axl sounded. DJ and Fortus kicked ass. Well, the whole band did. Axl really seemed like he was having a good time. One of the greatest gigs I've been at. I'm kinda happy I didn't get to see them in 2006, cause this line-up is the shit! They seem more like a band, instead of a group of people just playing together, which was the impression I had about the 2006-band.

Amazing show, 9/10. I had sooooo much fun.

umm.. i saw them in 2006 and im 100% sure it was the same lineup

edit: my bad, fink is replaced with ashba.. he was more impressive than robin

Edited by paajis

Okey just came back to home from the show. I went to Helsinki by train from the city I live (Turku) and got back with buss. I'm going to write a small review and journeystory:

Okey we planned with my friend allready in february that we are going to go to this consert, eventhought we had graduations on the same day. So I basicly left to Helsinki right after I was graduated(is that a correct word). Well we were going to leave with 5pm train to Helsinki and we were suppose to be there on time to se atleast half of the Skunk Anansie and whole Guns N' Roses show. Well when we had just sitted on the train I noticed that I forgot my festivalticket home. So we had to go and take the ticket from my home with my friend. We changed our train tickets and left with 6pm train. By the time we were on the festival area place was pretty full. We managed to get to pretty close the stage by elpowtactics.. :D

Well the band(Axl) was 45min late. And I found my self with the spot in the crowd where everyone hated new-guns. There was this particular guy who looked like Hell's angels-member with he's girlfriend. He tried to get me to insult Axl and the band with him and he was pretty aggressive. Well now I go to the show:

1. Intro: People were excited and yelled greatly

2. Chinese democracy: It was pretty cool when it started eventhought the weather was little bit too sunny maybe for the lightning and the pyros. Me and my friend were pretty good mood and loved the perfomance. But maybe 95% of the crowd didn't even know the song and were pretty lame. But it was good perfomance, but sound was maybe little bit messy and I couldnt hear Axl much.

3. Welcome to the jungle: When he yelled "do you know where you are?!?" people got crazy. Everyone seemed to love the perfomance and Axl sounded great, but still they had some sound problems. Kind of felt like the song got ruined someway.

4. It so easy: Crowd knew the song and they loved it. Still small sound problems, but quite good perfomance anyway from the band

5. Mr. Brownstone: I loved the drumms. I don't remember much of the song

6. Sorry: I kind of forget that they were going to play this song (as they played the same setlist as in Norway) and I loved it! It was amazing live and even other people who didn't regognize the song seemed to like it. /,,/

7. Richard solo(James Bond theme): Crowd seemed to like the solo and much of people were clapping their hand whole the time

8. Live and let die: Axl didn't sound that good in this song, or maybe it was just me. Well crowd loved it.

9. Jam: Don't remember anything. I started to yell "THERE WAS A TIME, THERE WAS A TIME!" on this point, but nobody yelled with me :(

10.This I love: It was one of the highlights of the night. It was amazing live and crowd seemed to like it. I heard one guy say something like: "maybe I should give Chinese democracy a second try.:"

11. Rocket Queen: Sounded amazing live and crowd loved it!

12. Jam: Don't remember, but i probably tried to yell Twat

13. Dizzy solo: It was nice, but since I have heard it so many times (bootlegs) it was pretty boring..

14. Street of dreams: This sounded amazing live eventhought he singed with rasp voice, which I used to consider rape of the good song [RIR3, Boston 02]

15. You could be mine: Crowd loved it. Im to bored to this song to say anything much. But nice perfomance..

16. DJ-solo: I think this was the best solo spot and crowd seemed to like it

17. Sweet child o' mine: Now.. THIS FUCKING ROCKED LIKE HELL!!!!! It sounded AMAZING live. I heard it on '06, but Axl sounded nowhere as good on this song as now. He's voice was perfect! Crowd loved it and everyone started talking how good he sounded. Funny since in bootlegs this song usually sounds worst imo. Highlight of the night for me.

18. Jam(Another prick..): It was nice, but stupid finnish people didn't seem to notice that they were jamming Pink Floyd. Only few seemed to sing along.

19. Axl solo: I have to admit that I didn't listen to it since I was still amazed by SCOM.

20. November rain: It was good as always, but Axl seemed to spare to much he's rasp voice. Outro was pretty intense!

21. Bumblefoot solo: I tried to shout for Don't cry, but once again nobody shouted with me.. :( Gayassfinnishpeople.. It was funny solo spot.

22. Jam: ??? Don't remember I maybe was busy shouting for Don't cry

23. Knocking' on heaven's door: I understood that show is soon over and I didn't enjoy this song much (I've never liked it) Axl sounded good thought.

24. Nightrain: It was gooooood! But I went sad since I knew show was going to end soon :( DJ was wiiiiiiiild. He runned around the stagewall and shaked peoples hands and something. :D

*During encore some gayasshell'sangels looking mofo said to me: "THIS WAS WORST GICK I'VE EVER BEEN; AXL SHOULD RETIRE.." what a motherfucker!!!! I saw he's face during the show. he was enjoying it. I know he was.. Well haters gonna' hate..*

25. Madagascar: It was goooood, but I hate the fact that backing vocals come from the tape. People might think he's using playback in every songs..

26. Better: Only new song people seemed to regonize. Many people were singing along. It was nice perfomance! Great guitar solo.

27. Paradise city: I got sad when it started :( But nice perfomance, Axl seemed to mess up in the beginning or something. Great show ender like allways

After the show Axl and the band came to say good night one more time and Pitman had race-car helmet (Kimi's?)

Overall: Great show, but I'm bored on the setlist :( I enjoyed 2006-show more, eventhought this one had better songs and Axl's voice was better. '06 it was still fresh for me. I just wish they add something to the setlist. I was wishing for TWAT, Don't Cry or Aint it fun w/ Mike Monroe. None happend. No suprises on the show, but good as allways. By the way Axl was doing some funny stuff with his tummy. He pushed it out so that he looked much fatter and walked funny. People were laughing and DJ LOLLED.

Edit: Lol offtopic, but I just noticed that I haven't slept in 24 hours. Maybe I should go to sleep now!

Sweet