Chinese Democracy FTW

Ed Vega

Chinese Democracy is like a well-kept secret between friends. I didn't even know it came out until I discovered this forum, but now that I've heard it, I have to say: Axl is back!

Fuck man, his voice sounds mint, and the guitar solos: Whoa hey! 'This I Love' is probably the best song Axl's done yet - it's so heartfelt and the piano is really catchy, I just can't get that song out of my head.

Burt the crowning jewel of Chinese Dee is 'There Was A Time' The Buckethead/Robin Finck guitar solo at the end of the song puts this little ditty in my top 5 all time Guns N' Roses songs, does anyone else agree? Lyricwise to, it stands up to the rest of the old bands stuff.

So a couple fo questions>

-What happned to Robin Finck?

-Why did the album take so long to come out?

I read Buckethead's press release where his manager explained that Buckethead left to due to Axl's inability to complete a tour or an album, but I can;t seem to find any information on Robin whartsoever.

Also, are there any interviews with Axl about the album. Did he ever explain why it took so long? It;'s a great, great CD!

Every single bit of available info pertaining to how the album was made and everything inbetween with Robin, Bucket etc is all here:

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=5059

Just click on a year and off you go!

In short, there's no straight single answer for why it took so long: there are many and there's probably a bunch of legal delay tactics by Slash and Duff that we've yet to fully hear about.

I agree, the album is staggeringly Brilliant. Many of us here have been listening to some of the tracks in live form for nearly ten years now. I must have played them over 1,000 times in various contexts and they never get old.

Just beware: there are some idiots around here who think you're dumb for posting on a GNR forum in 2010 if you like CD, Axl and the new band.

Since you asked about Robin in the Tommy thread too: Robin left around 1999 when his original contract (2 years I think) was up. In a rare interview he said he was fed up of working on 'instrumental track #36 with no vocals' and just general lack of progress. Robin's not a studio cat: he lives for the stage. At that time his old band Nine Inch nails were off on tour and he left to go on the road with them.

Axl was gutted and angry and wanted to replace some if not all of Robin's part and brought in Brian May who played on a few things including an early version of Catcher in 1999. Eventually Axl decided that he wanted Bucket to replace Robina and convinced him after many months to join. Can't remember how exactly (check the History at the link above) but Robin ended up coming back for the first shows in 2000/2001 and Axl was pleased with the 3 guitarists idea. Robin and Bucket clashed over who was the lead guitarists with Axl describing it as them trying to outdo eachother on stage for the spot.

Robin was monumentally gutted when the Rio show in 2004 was cancelled due to Bucket leaving but he managed to hold on and tour in 06/07 knowing that his spot as lead guitarist was secure. He really stepped up and owned the stage on those tours.

But then the record didn't come out in 06 or 07 and he ended up going back into the studio with Trent Reznor and on tour with NIN. I've been told he didn't 'leave' Guns as such but wanted to work and was relieved when they brought in Ashba.

What do you mean BEWARE? Wha tare they going to do to me.?

Insult you for liking CD, Axl and the new band and act incredulous when you suggest the new era of Guns means more to you than the old era.

But then the record didn't come out in 06 or 07 and he ended up going back into the studio with Trent Reznor and on tour with NIN. I've been told he didn't 'leave' Guns as such but wanted to work and was relieved when they brought in Ashba.

That would make sense, seeing as how he lives for the stage. He had the option to do NIN and did it again.

Sure hope his contributions stay.

To the OP, welcome and don't mind the few idiots here who like to hijack discussion and push their bitter hatred and agenda.