And 80s question - Do you think this band ripped off GNR's image or were they influenced by GNR?

RocknRoller

Okay, here is a picture of Faster Pussycat

Faster Pussycat is an American glam metal band from Los Angeles, California formed in 1986. The group was most successful during the late 1980s with their self-titled debut album and their 1989 gold album Wake Me When It's Over.

Faster Pussycat was formed in Hollywood by Taime Downe during the Glam metal boom of the 1980s, the earliest incarnation of the band featured Downe and Greg Steele along with Brent Muscat. The name of the band, "Faster Pussycat," is derived from the Russ Meyer film Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!.[1]

After several more member changes, Faster Pussycat soon morphed into the band's most well known line-up, consisting of Taime Downe (vocals), Greg Steele (guitar), Brent Muscat (guitar), Kelly Nickels (bass) and Mark Michals (drums).

Before recording their debut album, Nickels left the group and was replaced by Eric Stacy (ex-Champagne).

[edit] Rise to fame (1987–1993)

The band released their debut album Faster Pussycat in 1987, the same year Guns N' Roses released Appetite for Destruction. Although Guns N' Roses would overshadow Faster Pussycat in album sales, the band managed to build a cult following and put out several promotional videos from the first album for songs such as "Cathouse", "Bathroom Wall" and "Don't Change That Song". In the United States the band toured with Alice Cooper, David Lee Roth, and Motörhead in support of the album.[citation needed] They also headlined the 'Itch You Can't Scratch Tour", with opening act Reiss & Hard Liquor, with famed front man, singer Troy Reissmann

fasterpussycat-2.jpg

And here is a picture of original GNR

Guns N' Roses (sometimes abbreviated as GN'R or GNR) is an American hard rock band. The band formed in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California in 1985. Led by frontman and co-founder Axl Rose (born William Bruce Rose, Jr.), the band has released six studio albums, three EPs, and one live album while going through numerous line-up changes and controversies since its formation.

The band has sold more than 100 million albums worldwide,[6][7] including 46 million in the United States.[8] The band's 1987 major label debut album, Appetite for Destruction, has sold in excess of 28 million copies worldwide and reached No. 1 on the United States Billboard 200 and is also the highest selling debut album of all time both in the US and worldwide. In addition, the album charted three Top 10 hits on the Billboard Hot 100, including "Sweet Child o' Mine" which reached No. 1.[9] The 1991 albums Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II debuted on the two highest spots on the Billboard 200 and have sold a combined 14 million copies in the United States alone and 35 million worldwide. After over a decade of work, the band released their follow-up album, Chinese Democracy.

The group was formed in early 1985 by Hollywood Rose members Axl Rose (vocals) and Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitar), and L.A. Guns members Tracii Guns (lead guitar), Ole Beich (bass) and Rob Gardner (drums).[11] The new band created its name by combining two of the group members' names. After only a short time (several reports indicate only 2 or 3 gigs were played with Guns, Beich & Gardner), bassist Ole Beich was fired and replaced by Duff McKagan while Tracii Guns lack of attendance at rehearsal led to the arrival of Slash.

Slash had played with McKagan in Road Crew and with Stradlin during a short stint in Hollywood Rose. The new line-up came together quickly, but after deciding to go on a "tour" from Sacramento, California, to Duff's home town of Seattle, Washington, drummer Rob Gardner quit and was replaced by Slash's close friend Steven Adler.[12] The band, which continued to be called Guns N' Roses even after the departure of Tracii Guns, established its first stable line up on the so-called "Hell Tour". In an interview, Slash stated, "That [trip to Seattle] is really what cemented the band" and established its chemistry.[13]

guns_n_roses_band_wallpaper.jpg

Discuss rock1

I guess they were all trying to be Hanoi Rocks:

Hanoi+Rocks+hanoi05_jpg.jpg

Ha, the top hat and the curly black hair, it's amazing indeed! :D

Slash is so original!! :rolleyes:

They all were "original".. Axl used to tease his hair and wear lipstick.. even copped Mike Monroes stage persona Izzy had a little hat like that and duff wore a bolo tie..

First time I ever saw Axl I thought he was a chick and this was before Appetite was going..late 85' my guitarist was going to MIT in Hollywood and I flew out and went to the sunset strip with him..My guitarist goes thats Axl from the band Guns and Roses- I thought Axl was a drag queen or something. basically they were to lazy and stoned to keep the make up thing going.

They all were "original".. Axl used to tease his hair and wear lipstick.. even copped Mike Monroes stage persona Izzy had a little hat like that and duff wore a bolo tie..

First time I ever saw Axl I thought he was a chick and this was before Appetite was going..late 85' my guitarist was going to MIT in Hollywood and I flew out and went to the sunset strip with him..My guitarist goes thats Axl from the band Guns and Roses- I thought Axl was a drag queen or something. basically they were to lazy and stoned to keep the make up thing going.

Hey, that sounds really interesting, care to share a bit?

What was the name of your band, how long did you stay out there on the Strip? (And what's MIT?) Any other experiences with Guns?

Most of the bands at that time looked like that, or very similar. Just like you have a bunch of bands today that look & sound alike. It happens during every era of rock music.

Taime Downe would eventually adopt a more "Goth" look, before it was "cool", before guys like Manson came around. Taime also started experimenting with more electronic/industrial sounds BEFORE Axl did.

Where There's A Whip There's A Way is prob my fav Faster Pussycat tune.

That's around the time Jeff Buckley and Paul Gilbert went to that school, but some people felt that school was a money pit and some people wound up backing pop stars for a nice chunk of change, but didn't particularly care for it. Some people I knew chose Nashville over LA and got stable work backing country and Christian singers, as well as those nostalgia oldies and hippie tours where the singer is ancient and the band members are old enough to be the singer's grandchildren.

All that glam stuff came from Hanoi Rocks, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper (glam and goth?), and pilfering through their girlfriends' wardrobes. Kind of surprised Slash's mom didn't help design outfits for the band because she did make a nice living at it.

To me GNR wore the glam uniform to get in the clubs, and when they started making waves, chucked it out the door.

Alice Cooper started the top hat thing.