did axl have mild cancer in 2001?

chi_dem_is_here

I think around that time there was certainly something wrong, either physically or emotionally, it looked like the guy was having a rough time. He seems so much happier now :thumbsup:

It would explain why he appeared so frail in the face around then.

l_56c742301bc0fb04948083b7e388670b.jpg

His hair looks fucking cool here, better than in 2002 - where was this taken, HOB?

He does look a bit frail, doesn't he? How minor could the cancer have been to take him down to this weight? I mean, usually you see that when the illness has progressed. Anyways, I'm not sure that anyone knows for sure that he had it. I tried Googling "axl rose cancer" and guess what I got?

In 2000 his only show was with Gilby at the Cat Club, and he looked a lot like Axl in the '90s. In 2001 he did HOB and Rio early in the year and didn't look that thin. Then they were scheduled to do a bunch of shows in June and December that year, and those were all canceled due to an illness with BH. Was it BH for sure? Then GN'R played on Dec 29 and Dec 31 and Axl did have the same hair as in this pic. You can see some pics at gnrontour.com. It looks like he might be wearing the same shirt too at those shows:

20011231photo19.jpg

I feel like a douche obsessive talking about this, but I find this period in GN'R's history really fascinating. It's just how mysterious everything was I think.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No this is old but maybe relvent to the topic..... Axl rRose visits children in cancer ward in 2006, article below.

http://www.undercover.fm/news/320-axl-rose-visits-cancer-kids-in-hospital

For the uninformed or unknowlegable, His Mother Sharon E.(Lintner) Bailey succumbed to Breast cancer on May 28th, 1996, in Lafayette,Indiana.So far the only cancer that has plagued Axl personally, is also known by the name "slash"

You guys love to start rumors, don't ya?

Edited by RocknRoller

I've always been wondering if he had some sort of illness around the time leading up to 2001/2002. I mean, he looked reeaally different and his voice was extremely weak as we all now. Plus, all these years where he was rarely seen (which of course only adds to the rumour-mill). Anyway, I don't want to start shit here, it's only something been thinking about.. But fuck it, let's be happy that he's doing great these days, great concert, good mood, leave the man alone.

It would explain why he appeared so frail in the face around then.

l_56c742301bc0fb04948083b7e388670b.jpg

He looks kinda fat and awkward in that picture.....the chick is kinda cute though...

One of the funniest things I've read in a long time... related to any topic... lol.

I really doubt it. He wouldnt have hair like that.

Hair like what? A bad Bosley transplant? Taken from his sideburns and eyebrows? The Lakers NBA interview was frightening.

Also looks like the picture posted of him was just before he took an iron to his face to smooth everything out. His face looks naturally progressed, as a 40 something year should be. However, it is POST hair plugs, that is clear to see as even in 88, his hairline was never that thick.

but hes voice was a bit weird in 2001/2002, something was going on but i doubt it was cancer...maye he was using drugs

Its like anything else. You don't use it and it gets rusty. I remember reading various news snippets that Axl worked exclusively on the band's music for many years before he even started the vocals.

Nobody in this thread has ever had cancer have they?

Your hair doesn't fall out straight away, and sometimes it won't fall out - I had a full head of hair 6 months into treatment, it fell out in patches. It then grew back and fell out again 3 months after. Since that point 11 months ago, I have not lost ANY hair.

Chemo severely affects your voice in the majority of cases. If you lose weight from treatment, you will be suffering side effects. Within a month of treatment starting, I couldn't sing.

Anyway, nip this thread in the bud, we have no proof, so leave it be.

I really doubt it. He wouldnt have hair like that.

Hair like what? A bad Bosley transplant? Taken from his sideburns and eyebrows? The Lakers NBA interview was frightening.

Also looks like the picture posted of him was just before he took an iron to his face to smooth everything out. His face looks naturally progressed, as a 40 something year should be. However, it is POST hair plugs, that is clear to see as even in 88, his hairline was never that thick.

A hairline being thin doesn't mean someone is going to go bald.

Case in point:

John Travolta 1976. Thick, wavy, full head of hair

John_Travolta_in_The_Boy_in_the_Plastic_Bubble_4.jpg

Now:

john+travolta+bald+celebs.JPG

Axl ain't bald.

Nobody in this thread has ever had cancer have they?

Your hair doesn't fall out straight away, and sometimes it won't fall out - I had a full head of hair 6 months into treatment, it fell out in patches. It then grew back and fell out again 3 months after. Since that point 11 months ago, I have not lost ANY hair.

Chemo severely affects your voice in the majority of cases. If you lose weight from treatment, you will be suffering side effects. Within a month of treatment starting, I couldn't sing.

Anyway, nip this thread in the bud, we have no proof, so leave it be.

No offence man, absolutely no offence, as I've kinda followed what you've written on here about your case, if I can call it that, and I think it's more than kick ass how you have handled it! Hats off to you and my deepest respect! No doubt!

But what I wanted to say is, every case is different! A good friend of mine lost all his hair at once after being treated with chemo because of testicular cancer. He just woke up one morning and everything was gone at once. His speaking voice was perfectly fine all the time, tho.

What does it matter to the OP? I don't know, probably nothing, the same as it is none of our business to speculate about any diseases Axl might have had, with barely any knowledge (apart from you Chris). I think this whole thread is pretty grim.