Is Freddie Mercury the most overrated singer ever?

RisingTides

I know it's widely considered to be blasphemy to question Freddie's legacy, but I can't help it. He's so often ranked as one of the greatest singers of all time, but if you actually take the time to sit down and listen to some of his performances, it becomes abundantly clear that he had a relatively mediocre singing voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFwP-KwEGYk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nno0sBkD_Yc&feature=related

Definitely doesn't stack up to the greats like Axl, Chris Cornell, John Lennon etc imo. I know alot of people will disagree.

Edited by RisingTides

I would add all of the beatles. Great songwriters, but average songers....at best. And Led Zepplin has never done much for me. I'd also add Eminem - dude is gay.

Led Zeppelin isn't a singer.

my bad, i assumed most on here had brains, and could infer that I meant plant.

guess not.

I know it's widely considered to be blasphemy to question Freddie's legacy, but I can't help it. He's so often ranked as one of the greatest singers of all time, but if you actually take the time to sit down and listen to some of his performances, it becomes abundantly clear that he had a relatively mediocre singing voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFwP-KwEGYk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nno0sBkD_Yc&feature=related

Definitely doesn't stack up to the greats like Axl, Chris Cornell, John Lennon etc imo. I know alot of people will disagree.

You just posted 2 videos from the same show. It was a rough show, it happens to everyone. And if you mean to tell me that Axl's never had an off night, you've clearly got some brain damage. Not to mention you just called Chris Cornell "a great"...lol

Not very impressive tbh. I could sing all of that pretty easily and would probably sound better doing it.

Why don't you make a video of yourself upstaging Freddie then? We'll all see how much of an amazing vocalist you are.

I would add all of the beatles. Great songwriters, but average songers....at best. And Led Zepplin has never done much for me. I'd also add Eminem - dude is gay.

Led Zeppelin isn't a singer.

my bad, i assumed most on here had brains, and could infer that I meant plant.

guess not.

Sunny, you should know nothing can be assumed on here! :tongue2:

You just posted 2 videos from the same show. It was a rough show, it happens to everyone. And if you mean to tell me that Axl's never had an off night, you've clearly got some brain damage. Not to mention you just called Chris Cornell "a great"...lol

Freddie was basically consistently mediocre. Go watch some tape. Listen to Live at Wembley where it sounds like he's taking a shit every time he tries to sing a high note.

And yeah, Chris Cornell is a great. Certainly a much better singer than Bruce Dickinson, who is probably one of the most unoriginal, unimaginative, generic vocalists to ever exist. He's basically the retarded cousin of Rob Halford.

Why don't you make a video of yourself upstaging Freddie then? We'll all see how much of an amazing vocalist you are.

I don't need to prove myself to an Iron Maiden fan, thanks. I can assume from your infatuation with Bruce Dickinson that you wouldn't know good singing if it kicked you up the ass.

Edited by RisingTides

I would add all of the beatles. Great songwriters, but average siingers....at best. And Led Zepplin has never done much for me. I'd also add Eminem - dude is gay.

Eminem isn't a singer and I don't think he ever claimed to be. McCartney and Plant are great singers.

rapping singing the line has been blurred during the last 10 years, that its almost the same thing. And well Eminem is terribale at it.

McCartney and Plant are good songwriters, but their voice does nothing for me. In fact, I think McCartney voice is very average. Probaly lot of dudes on this forum who have a better voice.

Freddie was basically consistently mediocre. Go watch some tape. Listen to Live at Wembley where it sounds like he's taking a shit every time he tries to sing a high note.

And yeah, Chris Cornell is a great. Certainly a much better singer than Bruce Dickinson, who is probably one of the most unoriginal, unimaginative, generic vocalists to ever exist. He's basically the retarded cousin of Rob Halford.

I don't need to prove myself to an Iron Maiden fan, thanks. I can assume from your infatuation with Bruce Dickinson that you wouldn't know good singing if it kicked you up the ass.

I've got plenty of Queen recordings, and on nearly every one Freddie sounds great. Freddie is one of those vocalists who doesn't necessarily sing a song the same every time he performed it, he liked to take risks and try some different inflections on certain lines. Listen to Under Pressure or Hammer To Fall on Live At Wembley, those are some of his finest moments IMO.

My opinion on Maiden has no relevance in this conversation, nor do I have an "infatuation" with Bruce. Do I enjoy his voice? Yes. Do I think he is bar-none the greatest vocalist ever? Fuck no. And if you want to argue about the merits of a good voice from a purely technical standpoint, I'd fucking send you crying to your mommy. But I don't need to waste my Saturday arguing with an obvious cupcake, I've got better shit to do.

I've got plenty of Queen recordings, and on nearly every one Freddie sounds great. Freddie is one of those vocalists who doesn't necessarily sing a song the same every time he performed it, he liked to take risks and try some different inflections on certain lines. Listen to Under Pressure or Hammer To Fall on Live At Wembley, those are some of his finest moments IMO.

Sounding like shit was just an affectation, right? :rolleyes:

My opinion on Maiden has no relevance in this conversation, nor do I have an "infatuation" with Bruce. Do I enjoy his voice? Yes. Do I think he is bar-none the greatest vocalist ever? Fuck no. And if you want to argue about the merits of a good voice from a purely technical standpoint, I'd fucking send you crying to your mommy. But I don't need to waste my Saturday arguing with an obvious cupcake, I've got better shit to do.

Lawl, that's a good one. As a trained and very experienced singer I can guarantee you that I know much more about the technical side of vocals than you do. Chris Cornell's abilities as a vocalist are vastly beyond Freddie's. His breath support, switching, melismatic abilities, and overall vocal control blow Freddie's out of the water, that's not even debatable. Go to 5:30 in the link in my last post in this thread for an example of the kind of singing that makes Freddie's entire career look like a sad joke.

Edited by RisingTides

I wonder which formerly banned toll this is... :rolleyes:

I was trying to figure that out myself...If I had to guess I would say "Axl Knows" .......same writing style.........

Yeah, that makes sense, I think I remember that guy. I guess it doesn't take too long until he's banned again then.