Is Freddie Mercury the most overrated singer ever?

RisingTides

Chris is a great singer, but he is too one dimensional as a vocalist imo. Mercury was very versatile and the qualities of his voice were awesome to my ears.

Actually Chris is more versatile than Freddie. Freddie's tone never changed, always the same dull tone and unemotional delivery.

Starting at about 4:25.

If I'm not mistaken, the Cornell stuff posted is all studio, and the Mercury stuff all live. Impressive nevertheless though. Too bad I'm not crazy about most of the music I've heard from him, either in Soundgarden or Audioslave. Jesus Chris Pose makes my ears bleed. That TOTD song is pretty good though.

Lol, are thread starter serious? Freddie is no way overrated. He's one of the best singers ever, and thee's no way he's overraded, more underrated. Of course he had some nights off, singing horrible, just like any other great singer would have. The thing about Freddie, he alwaus wanted to do the songs different each time. It never sounded like it was on the record. Always something new about each song. What a singer. If you say he is only a regular vocalist, your must have lost your ears...

chris cornell is a great singer (or at least used to be, don't know how he is nowadays) and that should be obvious to most. just like the fact that freddie is a great singer. can we please just ignore this thread from now on?

ps. yes, mick jagger is an underrated singer. so is bob dylan.

chris cornell is a great singer (or at least used to be, don't know how he is nowadays) and that should be obvious to most. just like the fact that freddie is a great singer. can we please just ignore this thread from now on?

Yes! Since the mid 80s he's using a really cool voice. Love it!

Lol, are thread starter serious? Freddie is no way overrated. He's one of the best singers ever, and thee's no way he's overraded, more underrated. Of course he had some nights off, singing horrible, just like any other great singer would have. The thing about Freddie, he alwaus wanted to do the songs different each time. It never sounded like it was on the record. Always something new about each song. What a singer. If you say he is only a regular vocalist, your must have lost your ears...

So cracking on the notes, skipping the high notes etc was just something he did to make the songs more interesting? :unsure:

Yes! Since the mid 80s he's using a really cool voice. Love it!

he's an expert at using his voice. during the '70s he was singing it loud like the best (check out the rolling thunder revue bootleg series entry) and nowadays he's using a croak that really shouldn't work for anyone but he still makes it sound awesome.

The bigger Queen got, the larger the venues got, the harder it was to do the early songs live. They did a lot of things in the studio they couldn't do live, like "Bohemian Rhapsody" plus Freddie sang for 2 hours, and you can hear on the live shows from the 80s that he had a strong voice. Roger Taylor's the one who had the high falsetto though. That part in BoRap where you hear that really high note? Not Mercury.... Roger Taylor. When you hear Queen live, you hear Freddie and Roger singing. Find the live at the Rainbow 1974 on You Tube, and then put on Live at Wembley 1986... should be on there, too.

If anyone's underrated, it's Roger as a singer, and drummer... Same with John Bonham who sang harmonies with Plant... people forget and overlook this. Page is a horrible singer. And Mike Anthony in Van Halen singing with Roth and Hagar was as big a part of the VH sound as Ed's guitar was. VH fans haven't let the band forget it (he's on That Metal Show this week). Keith Richards also used to sing great harmonies with Mick. He can still harmonize but not as good as he used to. The more backup singers they wound up with, the less he's done it.

Which makes it interesting to see how Sacha Baron Cohen handles it... will he sing live and lip sync the studio recordings? I'm sure he's at a vocal coach trying to figure out if he can do it.

Saw Soundgarden in the 90s, Audioslave, and the solo tour he did after Audioslave, and that last show I was shocked at how better Cornell sounded than he did in a really long time. I think he's commented about why in an interview. I think he said moving to France...

Dylan's voice? Go to Another Side of Dylan, then Blonde on Blonde then John Wesley Harding then Blood on the Tracks, then Time Out of Mind.

Robbie Williams has sung with Queen, and sang right before the PF reunion at Live 8... overrated?

Saw Soundgarden in the 90s, Audioslave, and the solo tour he did after Audioslave, and that last show I was shocked at how better Cornell sounded than he did in a really long time. I think he's commented about why in an interview. I think he said moving to France...

Just like Axl, Chris had a pretty bad period vocally at the beginning of the previous decade, but he's been getting better and better since.

Robbie Williams has sung with Queen, and sang right before the PF reunion at Live 8... overrated?

Robbie Williams is an excellent singer and performer. Not all of his discography is top notch, but I would recommend Escapology and Live Summer 2003 to anyone, plus there are some really good tunes scattered here and there on his other albums. A lot of rock fans dismiss him because, well because he's a successful pop star (or was anyway; he was arguably the biggest act in Europe around 99-03) and that's apparently tabu for rock'n'roll listeners. Big mistake, as he does glam-rock brilliantly. His Queen influences are more than obvious (in music and in his stage persona) and I do believe and have for a very long time that he would've been the ideal replacement for Freddie in Queen if he had been born 10 years earlier. He had the style, the voice, the frontman quality and the songwriting ability for it (I'm not so sure about the last one though, I know he wrote with someone else for a lot of his career, and I don't know how much is Robbie's merit and how much is the other guy's). I won't post videos, just download Live Summer 2003.

Robert Plant imo hasn't been that good vocally since 1976.

He had surgery to get nodules removed in 1975 and his voice was never as good as before.

Depends how you look at it. His voice hasn't changed much since then, and the solo career has had a pretty strong following. But I'm pretty sure what you're saying about his voice is the reason why he doesn't do reunion tours with Page and Jones... but we all know Page was whacked out of his mind in 1980, that they would've ended it.

I'm admittedly not the biggest Freddie Mercury fan, but I'm not prepared to call him overrated. I just don't think there's really any middle ground when it comes to being a Queen/Mercury fan. If you love him, you fucking LOVE him and he's the greatest thing since slice bread.