Who Else Thinks...

Nick85

Without Slash, GN'R don't appear to having much success when it comes to singles, music videos, or radio air play ;)

... whatever dude :shrugs: Lots of music I dig doesn't get much airplay. Does that make it bad?

Who was it that (supposedly) charged some Russians 1 million for a private gig? oh yeah, Axl Rose! :D

Not a really valid reason to call him a sellout. I mean, he could make so much more money right now if he wanted to.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But please don't bash AC/DC - it's very good party music :D . I saw them live last Spring and they were on top form and you could tell that they still are genuinely into it.

Haha I like them too. I went to a concert on last December, on the River Plate Stadium, Argentina, when they were recording the Black Ice Tour DVD. Did you watch the Iron Man 2 / AC/DC videoclips? The live footages are from those concerts.

But please don't bash AC/DC - it's very good party music :D . I saw them live last Spring and they were on top form and you could tell that they still are genuinely into it.

Haha I like them too. I went to a concert on last December, on the River Plate Stadium, Argentina, when they were recording the Black Ice Tour DVD. Did you watch the Iron Man 2 / AC/DC videoclips? The live footages are from those concerts.

Didn't see the clips but that's pretty cool

Slash has been more than willing to meet half way

and gotten nothing in return except to be called a deadly disease

hes taken the blame for many things that went down, has apologized, and repeatedly hails Axl as a great songwriter and frontman

the late starts bother him, its always bothered him

it costs the band money, its inconsiderate for the fans

he doesnt want to budge on that point and he shouldnt have to

because hes absolutely right

It'a called spin, Slash is a master media manipulator.

He's only recently started to take blame and praise Axl, are you forgetting the near decade where he blamed Axl for everything? It's all calculated, Slash is a money grubbing whore who wants a reunion (for the $$$$$), of course he's moderating his views publicly.

Without Slash, GN'R don't appear to having much success when it comes to singles, music videos, or radio air play ;)

Who was it that (supposedly) charged some Russians 1 million for a private gig? oh yeah, Axl Rose! :D

GNR' got played for playing not a gig. So what! It's not like Axl was singing with Justin Beiber at the VMA's. The place payed them for playing, just like any other venue pays a band for playing, I don't how that's hard to understand. Axl would be selling-out if he reunited with Slash and the old band. He would be giving up all he did for the past 10 years and just throw away everything he said. He's got enough money, friends and music to live without a reunion. Guns N' Roses today is a great live band, Axl doesn't wanna throw them away for a cashgrab reunion tour. Of course Slash would get throw to the curb Kushner and Weiland (if he was still in the band) for a reunion. Axl has more pride as a musician to live with the present. Slash still wears leather pants. <_<

Slash would fly haveway across the globe to play one gig with Axl, I don't care what he says. He is a manipulater and a sell-out. He's just trying to keep his fame by playing with today's pop artist. You don't see Duff on stage with Kesha, or Izzy on stage with Beyonce. H'es the only guy from the band who is a media whore and a image. He is limited in his abilities and plays the same riff, blues rock his whole carrer.

A cashgrab reunion tour won't hapen, so Slash should just give up and all the people who still live in 1987 should give up. Slash will continue to blame Axl and Axl will continue playing with Guns N' Roses and touring the world. I also hope they make an album with the new band.

Why can't people just move on.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

I always believed that Slash was more to blame for the GnR break-up than Axl. Axl has a tremendous amount of faults and carries a huge share of the blame. However, for a time being many believed that Axl was 100% to blame with the rest of the band blameless. The fact is that Slash is the only member that broke ranks and talked bad about another member from 1996-2008. Whatever garbage and blame that was going on internally in '96 could have probably been solved had Slash not gone on a media tour ripping Axl apart. He KNEW how sensitive Axl was and he continued to bash him. then over the years he wondered why Axl wasn't willing to get back together with him? How many here would get back together if another aired your dirty laundry with the intention of gaining favor with the public while ruining anothers public image. So I think Slash ultimately carries the blame as to why they have never been able to put their differences behind them.

Many have stated that GnR never wrote a hit again after Slash left. I think the better characterization is that they were not the same band after Izzy left. It is clear to me that Izzy was the best pure songwriter with Axl and Slash being able to amplify their talents over the rifts he wrote. The songwriting key to GnR is Izzy. The magic is then Axl's voice and sense of melody and Slash's amazing guitar solos. They all worked great together. But Slash is not a great songwriter. The best thing for his legacy was to have GnR break-up.

OK, why I don't want a reunion.

Well, first of all you have to understand that I live in a different reality. Most Guns N' Roses fans here are young, my age, and most of the have my same opinion. Of course, there are all kinds of people, like in any GN'R board. People that prefer the old band, people that just hate the new band for no reason, older people that saw the old band many times, all the kinds, just like any GNR board. But here, most people don't really want a reunion.

It's not that we are against. It's just that we don't really want it because we don't really see the need for one. Guns N' Roses is the most popular band here after all this years, so the argument that GN'R would sell out big venues again doesn't work.

Look, some people think I hate Slash, whatever he does and love Axl whatever he does. I just think he's a limited musician and has some kind of determination to follow an estatic musical style, respecting his own limitations. I like him, I like Velvet Revolver, I like his solo album. But I think it's too limited, he doesn't try anything new. That bothers me. And I think he's a media manipulator, liar.

But what really bothers me, specially in the brazilian boards, are random kids that just discovered Guns N' Roses throw Guitar Hero and appear there saying that "You don't know the real Guns N' Roses", saying that Axl is a dick and Slash rock. It usually takes 1 week to the person to be converted :D

Axl has always been the talent and the soul of the band. He's not only the singer. He mounted the band, he gave the name, he used it to expose his life conflicts (in which song do you think on Slash? What life experience has Slash reflected in ONE song? Slash is only an instrument.) Izzy is another case, he was the other face of the band. People associate GNR to Axl and Slash, but it should be Axl and Izzy. Well, Axl got the name of the band WITH ALL BAND MEMBERS AGREEING (they probably thought they didn't need it). Axl is the owner of the name, there's nothing to discuss here. And about he being the last man standing, he only fired Gilby and Matt. The others left because the only wanted (Duff ilusioned by Slash) and Steven fired by the whole band.

And, today we have the most happy and knit GNR encarnation ever. Tell the truth. The actual member only look like some puppets under the orders of one single oppressive dictator, or they are proud and happy to be there? Compare the faces of members of the Chinese Democracy Tour with the Use Your Illusion Tour. And especially, see Axl satisfaction today.

And, they are far better technically. Stupid people deserve rock n' roll cashgrabbers like AC/DC and KISS. Many guitarists are far better than Angus Young on his school clothes. But the caricature, today more than never, is a reason for adoration by someone who never had anything to admire.

Slash is the one who broke the classic version of the band. Axl wanted to continue with the musical progression Appetite-Illusions, but Slash didn't want and never wanted and will never leave the basic-that-makes-sucess cashgrab rock. Well, regarding Duff, I think Slash convinced him that it would be better if they continued with the style of their biggest sucess (AFD) they would be more sucessful than Axl and would overcome him and his "stubbornness" in progress. Well, the result never really worked. Poor Duff.

I know it must be hard to live with Axl. But it must be even harder to have a musical partner that instead of being authentic prefers to repeat the sucess formula. But the same person left the band searching for fortune and fame. Did he get it? Maybe, but lost a lot of respect. Wanted to turn Guns N' Roses in another AC/DC. You can say that AC/DC is more sucessful than GNR today, and really is, but after you listen to some AC/DC songs, all the other sounds the same. And a band is all about the music. A reunion would ruin it.

It would be a fake thing (and before someone says actual GNR is a fake GNR, a reunion would be even more fake), they would be there for money, to tour the world for 2 years or so and then goodbye. And for what? Just to see Axl playing with Slash, considering that Dj Ashba sounds the same? The fact is that not only Ashba sounds the same, the whole band sounds the same or even better sometimes, but with New GNR we may have the chance to see them releasing new music... and not they playing with the Pussycat Dolls and Justin Bieber.

Fuck reunion.

post of the year!

Excellent, I couldn't have put it better myself.

I couldn't go to a GnR gig if it wasn't Axl singing. To me he is the heart of the band.

OK, why I don't want a reunion.

Well, first of all you have to understand that I live in a different reality. Most Guns N' Roses fans here are young, my age, and most of the have my same opinion. Of course, there are all kinds of people, like in any GN'R board. People that prefer the old band, people that just hate the new band for no reason, older people that saw the old band many times, all the kinds, just like any GNR board. But here, most people don't really want a reunion.

It's not that we are against. It's just that we don't really want it because we don't really see the need for one. Guns N' Roses is the most popular band here after all this years, so the argument that GN'R would sell out big venues again doesn't work.

Look, some people think I hate Slash, whatever he does and love Axl whatever he does. I just think he's a limited musician and has some kind of determination to follow an estatic musical style, respecting his own limitations. I like him, I like Velvet Revolver, I like his solo album. But I think it's too limited, he doesn't try anything new. That bothers me. And I think he's a media manipulator, liar.

But what really bothers me, specially in the brazilian boards, are random kids that just discovered Guns N' Roses throw Guitar Hero and appear there saying that "You don't know the real Guns N' Roses", saying that Axl is a dick and Slash rock. It usually takes 1 week to the person to be converted :D

Axl has always been the talent and the soul of the band. He's not only the singer. He mounted the band, he gave the name, he used it to expose his life conflicts (in which song do you think on Slash? What life experience has Slash reflected in ONE song? Slash is only an instrument.) Izzy is another case, he was the other face of the band. People associate GNR to Axl and Slash, but it should be Axl and Izzy. Well, Axl got the name of the band WITH ALL BAND MEMBERS AGREEING (they probably thought they didn't need it). Axl is the owner of the name, there's nothing to discuss here. And about he being the last man standing, he only fired Gilby and Matt. The others left because the only wanted (Duff ilusioned by Slash) and Steven fired by the whole band.

And, today we have the most happy and knit GNR encarnation ever. Tell the truth. The actual member only look like some puppets under the orders of one single oppressive dictator, or they are proud and happy to be there? Compare the faces of members of the Chinese Democracy Tour with the Use Your Illusion Tour. And especially, see Axl satisfaction today.

And, they are far better technically. Stupid people deserve rock n' roll cashgrabbers like AC/DC and KISS. Many guitarists are far better than Angus Young on his school clothes. But the caricature, today more than never, is a reason for adoration by someone who never had anything to admire.

Slash is the one who broke the classic version of the band. Axl wanted to continue with the musical progression Appetite-Illusions, but Slash didn't want and never wanted and will never leave the basic-that-makes-sucess cashgrab rock. Well, regarding Duff, I think Slash convinced him that it would be better if they continued with the style of their biggest sucess (AFD) they would be more sucessful than Axl and would overcome him and his "stubbornness" in progress. Well, the result never really worked. Poor Duff.

I know it must be hard to live with Axl. But it must be even harder to have a musical partner that instead of being authentic prefers to repeat the sucess formula. But the same person left the band searching for fortune and fame. Did he get it? Maybe, but lost a lot of respect. Wanted to turn Guns N' Roses in another AC/DC. You can say that AC/DC is more sucessful than GNR today, and really is, but after you listen to some AC/DC songs, all the other sounds the same. And a band is all about the music. A reunion would ruin it.

It would be a fake thing (and before someone says actual GNR is a fake GNR, a reunion would be even more fake), they would be there for money, to tour the world for 2 years or so and then goodbye. And for what? Just to see Axl playing with Slash, considering that Dj Ashba sounds the same? The fact is that not only Ashba sounds the same, the whole band sounds the same or even better sometimes, but with New GNR we may have the chance to see them releasing new music... and not they playing with the Pussycat Dolls and Justin Bieber.

Fuck reunion.

I don't even know where to start... :rolleyes:

All I can say is, yes I can certainly understand that you are young, and that you don't know very much about music or GNR.

I don't even know where to start... :rolleyes:

All I can say is, yes I can certainly understand that you are young, and that you don't know very much about music or GNR.

Oh My God. Please tell me what you think.

Hehe. Well, I can respect that you have your point of view, and that you personally don't want a reunion.

Me on the other hand can't understand why any GNR fan at all don't want a reunion. your post makes it clear that you weren't there when back in the day when GNR were huge.

GNR today can't even begin to compare to what they were. GNR was the biggest band in the world in the early 90's, like a modern rock version of The Beatles.

It's actually hard to imagine today, how big they were, the world is a totally different place when it comes to music.

That's for one thing..

The Slash issue.. to bash Slash contribution to this band as just an instrument.. that's just as ignorant as saying that Axl is GNR. He is now, but he never was. The only reason he is, is because he's the only member left that matters. But in the old band he was a frontman of a band that were filled with "superstars". The trio Axl, Slash, Duff were the face of GNR in the early 90's, though mostly Axl/Slash. Slash was a huge part of Guns, and a huge part of their success. You can say whatever you want about the songs, and who wrote what, cause everybody knows that Axl/Izzy wrote a major part of the material, but Slash's addings made much of it what it is. November Rain without Slash's solos? Estranged?... just to name a few very obvious ones that Axl have full credit for writing.. On ADF on the other hand, there are a lot more of Slash. Welcome To The Jungle.. probaby wrote the music for that one alone, if we should believe Axl and Slash's stories about how that song came along. That song alone is enough to justify why Slash shoud be there. CD is a great record, but it isn't GNR, the band now isn't GNR, it is and will allways be Axl's project, hidden under the name of GNR. Because he can, he has the rights to the name, and there is a lot more money in it when going under the GNR name than going solo. Still, the orignal GNR if continued and stayed together would be in the Metallica/ACDC league, now they are just selling out on the name. The band still put on a great show, and I enjoy it every time I see them, but I'm there for Axl, and I really miss the band that they were. They were an interesting band, with a lot more to it. Now they are just another rock band with a great singer, living on past glories.

Edited by Izzyslash

Hehe. Well, I can respect that you have your point of view, and that you personally don't want a reunion.

Me on the other hand can't understand why any GNR fan at all don't want a reunion. your post makes it clear that you weren't there when back in the day when GNR were huge.

GNR today can't even begin to compare to what they were. GNR was the biggest band in the world in the early 90's, like a modern rock version of The Beatles.

It's actually hard to imagine today, how big they were, the world is a totally different place when it comes to music.

That's for one thing..

I mentioned that on the beggining of my post. Here, Guns N' Roses is still the most popular band, together with Iron Maiden.

The Slash issue.. to bash Slash contribution to this band as just an instrument.. that's just as ignorant as saying that Axl is GNR. He is now, but he never was. The only reason he is, is because he's the only member left that matters. But in the old band he was a frontman of a band that were filled with "superstars". The trio Axl, Slash, Duff were the face of GNR in the early 90's, though mostly Axl/Slash. Slash was a huge part of Guns, and a huge part of their success. You can say whatever you want about the songs, and who wrote what, cause everybody knows that Axl/Izzy wrote a major part of the material, but Slash's addings made much of it what it is. November Rain without Slash's solos? Estranged?... just to name a few very obvious ones that Axl have full credit for writing.. On ADF on the other hand, there are a lot more of Slash. Welcome To The Jungle.. probaby wrote the music for that one alone, if we should believe Axl and Slash's stories about how that song came along. That song alone is enough to justify why Slash shoud be there.

See? Slash is just an instrument, he never really said anything on the songs.

CD is a great record, but it isn't GNR, the band now isn't GNR, it is and will allways be Axl's project, hidden under the name of GNR. Because he can, he has the rights to the name, and there is a lot more money in it when going under the GNR name than going solo. Still, the orignal GNR if continued and stayed together would be in the Metallica/ACDC league, now they are just selling out on the name. The band still put on a great show, and I enjoy it every time I see them, but I'm there for Axl, and I really miss the band that they were. They were an interesting band, with a lot more to it. Now they are just another rock band with a great singer, living on past glories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nMobKz9cUM

Well, I dunno if you read my post, but no..

And as far as how big GNR is where you live... where is that? Brasil? They've allways been big there. Big in Brasil, big in Japan.. same old story, but that doesn't change anything. Iron Maiden were big with Blaze Bayley over there, hehe. Doesn't relate to the rest of the world. GNR is still big, but not huge, and they are only living on past glories. Which 75% of the new band never were a part of.

A reunion just wouldn't work.

Just remember the old days and embrace what's to come. You can't dwell in the past, living on ifs, buts and maybe's. We had something special, but as the song goes "Nothing lasts forever." I think the band today is wonderful and as long as they continue to tour I will be there. Before you say it, yes I saw the original band four times and I am loving todays band.

That's for one thing..

I mentioned that on the beggining of my post. Here, Guns N' Roses is still the most popular band, together with Iron Maiden.

The Slash issue.. to bash Slash contribution to this band as just an instrument.. that's just as ignorant as saying that Axl is GNR. He is now, but he never was. The only reason he is, is because he's the only member left that matters. But in the old band he was a frontman of a band that were filled with "superstars". The trio Axl, Slash, Duff were the face of GNR in the early 90's, though mostly Axl/Slash. Slash was a huge part of Guns, and a huge part of their success. You can say whatever you want about the songs, and who wrote what, cause everybody knows that Axl/Izzy wrote a major part of the material, but Slash's addings made much of it what it is. November Rain without Slash's solos? Estranged?... just to name a few very obvious ones that Axl have full credit for writing.. On ADF on the other hand, there are a lot more of Slash. Welcome To The Jungle.. probaby wrote the music for that one alone, if we should believe Axl and Slash's stories about how that song came along. That song alone is enough to justify why Slash shoud be there.

CD is a great record, but it isn't GNR, the band now isn't GNR, it is and will allways be Axl's project, hidden under the name of GNR. Because he can, he has the rights to the name, and there is a lot more money in it when going under the GNR name than going solo. Still, the orignal GNR if continued and stayed together would be in the Metallica/ACDC league, now they are just selling out on the name. The band still put on a great show, and I enjoy it every time I see them, but I'm there for Axl, and I really miss the band that they were. They were an interesting band, with a lot more to it. Now they are just another rock band with a great singer, living on past glories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nMobKz9cUM

Cool Video...You can't even hear Axl sing on "This I Love" cause the crowd is so loud; and most don't even speak English, that's amazing! And that huge flag at the end..."Holy Shit!"

GNR is still big, but not huge, and they are only living on past glories. Which 75% of the new band never were a part of.

They're not living on past glories though. That's doing what AC/DC, Metallica do. Funny how you mentioned them as bands moving forward. AC/DC has repeated the same formula for decades and Metallica tried to move forward with Load, ReLoad, St. Anger but eventually started obeying their fans who didn't like the new style. Both have done greatest hits tours for quite a time. At least GN'R plays around 7-8 new songs each night.

Iron Maiden and The Smashing Pumpkins are similar to GN'R too. All have lost lots of fans by doing the kind of music they want to.

GNR is still big, but not huge, and they are only living on past glories. Which 75% of the new band never were a part of.

They're not living on past glories though. That's doing what AC/DC, Metallica do. Funny how you mentioned them as bands moving forward. AC/DC has repeated the same formula for decades and Metallica tried to move forward with Load, ReLoad, St. Anger but eventually started obeying their fans who didn't like the new style. Both have done greatest hits tours for quite a time. At least GN'R plays around 7-8 new songs each night.

Iron Maiden and The Smashing Pumpkins are similar to GN'R too. All have lost lots of fans by doing the kind of music they want to.

Good point.

On the one hand current GnR is criticized for not being the 'true' GnR, sounding different, moving away from the AFD musically. On the other they are living on past glories. So which one is it?

And I agree completely, it's bands such as Metallica that are living on past glories. I don't really get what's different about Chinese, GnR were always a changing band, back in the day UYI was radically different from AFD. And that's great, this is what makes the band truly unique and not one of these old-timers sticking to one proven formula.

Perfect!

Metallica tried to move forward with Load, ReLoad, St. Anger but eventually started obeying their fans who didn't like the new style.

They didn't try. They just did it, and when they felt like playing hard and fast again they just did it. It's nothing more complicated than that. After all it's not like they weren't selling out stadiums while touring Load or St Anger. Axl talked about playing with an orhestra someday while filming NR video, Metallica just up and picked one up and did an album like that. There's not a damn thing wrong with going back to your roots when you've already ran the gamut of things you always wanted to try. IF eventually Axl decides to make hard rock again, I hope people here don't crucify him because he stopped using hip hop beats and Pittman loops...

On the one hand current GnR is criticized for not being the 'true' GnR, sounding different, moving away from the AFD musically. On the other they are living on past glories. So which one is it?

Well there's a difference.. If anyone accuses GNR of living on their past glories, its because ('generally') most of the enjoyment people get from the shows is from listening to the old material

LA