better than gnr ??

lawrence

Come on. Led Zeppelin, the Stones, the Beatles, CCR, Black Sabbath... Do I need to go on? Don't misunderstand me, I love GNR, and I think appetite is one of th ebest albums ever, but they just don't have enough back catalogue to match any of these.

Does my head in when people round here go on about what musics better, like it's a competition. Just enjoy it.

Well, this is a music forum. Why shouldn't people discuss what's better and what isn't. It's just a simple fact that some music is better than others. There is a difference between how much you enjoy music and how good it is. 'De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum' is usually a dumb thing to say, IMO.

There's just no way to objectively say one band is better than another. It's a matter of individual taste. You can have endless arguments about it, but you won't convince anyone to change their opinion.

There's just no way to objectively say one band is better than another. It's a matter of individual taste. You can have endless arguments about it, but you won't convince anyone to change their opinion.

I'm at work, and I don't really have time to really go into this, but imo, you perfectly can. In your opinion, is it impossible to objectively say that this for example (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj3mKYASycg) is objectively better than this (

)?

It's the same with food. Wouldn't you agree that a menu at a five-star top-of-the-bill restaurant is better than eating a hamburger menu at Mcdonalds? Yes, you can enjoy both just as much, but without a doubt, the first is objectively better than the latter.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I had completely forgot about Cartoons. Fuck. Not a pleasant surprise to be reminded of that shit. Like last week when I started to think of Mamba No 5 and couldn't get it out of my head, :scared:

Other than that, I completely agree with Stoner.

I'm at work, and I don't really have time to really go into this, but imo, you perfectly can. In your opinion, is it impossible to objectively say that this for example (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj3mKYASycg) is objectively better than this (

)?

It's the same with food. Wouldn't you agree that a menu at a five-star top-of-the-bill restaurant is better than eating a hamburger menu at Mcdonalds? Yes, you can enjoy both just as much, but without a doubt, the first is objectively better than the latter.

I might agree with your opinion on both counts, but 100% of people won't. Therefore it's not objective.

I had completely forgot about Cartoons. Fuck. Not a pleasant surprise to be reminded of that shit. Like last week when I started to think of Mamba No 5 and couldn't get it out of my head, :scared:

Well, it's sthe shittiest thing that came to mind. :P I don't know where it came from either. Scary. :confused:

I don't spend my life trying to get people to agree with me. So I honestly don't give a fuck. That's why this forum sucks-everyone sees things in terms of black and white when that's just not reality.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Well, it's sthe shittiest thing that came to mind. :P I don't know where it came from either. Scary. :confused:

Agree. I have been lucky to have forgotten about this through all years.

Since you did this to me, I'll return the favour and give you a worthless song to be stuck in your head;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ui_MVLPRS4

Since you did this to me, I'll return the favour and give you a worthless song to be stuck in your head;

OK, enough of that now. You got me. :P

And Bax, it has nothing to do with black or white. I for one never got into the Beatles. I don't know why not, but it just isn't my cup of tea. Will however gladly admit that they are better than some of the bands I listen to.

Edited by st0n3r

And Bax, it has nothing to do with black or white. I for one never got into the Beatles. I don't know why not, but it just isn't my cup of tea. Will however gladly admit that they are better than some of the bands I listen to.

What criteria do you use to define what band is better than another? I might agree with your taste in some instances and disagree in others. How are you going to determine who is right? You can't.

I don't have the energy to bang my head against the wall arguing with metalheads,so adios.

What criteria do you use to define what band is better than another? I might agree with your taste in some instances and disagree in others. How are you going to determine who is right? You can't.

I don't have the energy to bang my head against the wall arguing with metalheads,so adios.

I'm not a metalhead. Listen to a wide variety of music.

Well, your question is a very good one, and the answer is quite complex. Let me start by saying this: it is easy to distinquish the 'great' bands from the 'good' bands and the shitty ones. You don't even need to know much about music to be able to do that. Everybody can. Saying one 'great' band is better than another is however much, much harder. Can't you agree with that?

Music is an art form, just like filmmaking for example is. Are you going to tell me it is impossible to argue that the Godfather is a far, FAR better film than, euhm, 'Scary Movie' is? No, it is not. The acting is better, the writing is better, the cinematography is better,... I don't think I need to go on.

In music it is pretty much the same. Lyrics, melody, originality, technical expertise (can that guy really sing? Can that guy really play a guitar?) sense of rhytm, etc. are all criteria that you can use to judge music.

And it is not about agreeing or disagreeing with someones taste. As I said before, I do no like the beatles, hence I will not agree with somebodies taste if he likes them very much. I will however be the first to admit they are still great, despite mys entiment about their music.

If you are interested in this topic, you should read some works on the aesthetics of music. Simon Frith wrote some good stuff on rock music. And then there is Roger Scruton, who also wrote some interesting, although very classical minded stuff on the topic.

Does my head in when people round here go on about what musics better, like it's a competition. Just enjoy it.

Well, this is a music forum. Why shouldn't people discuss what's better and what isn't. It's just a simple fact that some music is better than others. There is a difference between how much you enjoy music and how good it is. 'De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum' is usually a dumb thing to say, IMO.

Music, like all forms of art, is largely subjective. Sorry bud.

Better=more talented

example: The Beatles are more talented than Brokencyde.

No dispute. Like Stoner said though, when talking about two GREAT bands, comparing the talent of each band becomes much, much harder to do (maybe impossible in some cases). I can still assure you that talent IS measurable in some form.