Guitar Hero Lawsuit permitted - hearing date January 23, 2012

seely

I think it's more about the principles and laws of commerce than anything else, you claim what's your to claim, legally, the legal realities are a lot different from what should make sense, yes, Slash did help to write Jungle and all those cornerstone hits of Gn'R, but he left the fucking band, here's our good friend Lars explaining it for you what it means when sb. leaves the band, for those who don't quite get the concept of leaving a legal entity such as a band (

, enjoy, I did )

and by associating Slash with the trademark that is Gn'R it becomes illegal in the legal realm, the fact that Slash was in Gn'R doesn't really matter anymore in the legal sense, I mean, yeah, it matters to the fans, and I'm pretty sure that Slash being on the cover and WTTJ being in the game, Gn'R probably sold a few more records and made a few fans, especially among the kids who are used to listening to crap that's on MTV or whatever, but still it's promoting smth. that's dead, and with Slash's and Axl's relationship being what it is, I don't see why Axl should just sit there and take it lying down, but I'd say the first grounds for suing would be the matter of principle, at least for me, rather than monetary gain... you don't deserve reaping rewards from something you abandoned a long long time ago

It's all very well posting that Larrs video, but I think you know the GN'R situation was very different.

The video would apply if:

Axl Slash Izzy Duff Adler were GN'R and Slash announces to the 'band' he is quiting to do other stuff.

For GN'R the reality was different. The band appeared to fall apart during the UYI tour, and Axl's Ego rocketed. Slash being the forever creative one, did the Slash's Snake Pit thing during GN'R down time, during a time when Axl appear to be doing little. Hired hands are allowed to pursue their solo's career's during GN'R down time (of which there appears to be a lot).

I think it's more about the principles and laws of commerce than anything else, you claim what's your to claim, legally, the legal realities are a lot different from what should make sense, yes, Slash did help to write Jungle and all those cornerstone hits of Gn'R, but he left the fucking band, here's our good friend Lars explaining it for you what it means when sb. leaves the band, for those who don't quite get the concept of leaving a legal entity such as a band (

, enjoy, I did )

and by associating Slash with the trademark that is Gn'R it becomes illegal in the legal realm, the fact that Slash was in Gn'R doesn't really matter anymore in the legal sense, I mean, yeah, it matters to the fans, and I'm pretty sure that Slash being on the cover and WTTJ being in the game, Gn'R probably sold a few more records and made a few fans, especially among the kids who are used to listening to crap that's on MTV or whatever, but still it's promoting smth. that's dead, and with Slash's and Axl's relationship being what it is, I don't see why Axl should just sit there and take it lying down, but I'd say the first grounds for suing would be the matter of principle, at least for me, rather than monetary gain... you don't deserve reaping rewards from something you abandoned a long long time ago

Like it or not, legal or illegal, Slash is GN'R, and he will always be remembered long after the death of the band as the guitarist that created the songs that counted the most. The follow up hired hands were simply cover muscians.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best way to look at this whole thing is that there are actually two different bands called Guns N' Roses that still exist. The first band before 96 controlled by Slash, Duff, and Axl still exists as a partnership but the right to use the name going forward went to Axl. Both band still as entities still exist for the post 96 GN'R material. You won't see a AFD CD rerecorded because that would compete against the existing partnership. That's why you still see Guns N' Roses videos on YouTube with Slash in the videos.

Axl's lawsuit against activision appears to be without merit because asking Activision to omit Slash from reference to the intellectual property created and controlled by the pre 96 partnership would be competing against the owners of the music, and that would be unconscionable.

The best way to look at this whole thing is that there are actually two different bands called Guns N' Roses that still exist. The first band before 96 controlled by Slash, Duff, and Axl still exists as a partnership but the right to use the name going forward went to Axl. Both band still as entities still exist for the post 96 GN'R material. You won't see a AFD CD rerecorded because that would compete against the existing partnership. That's why you still see Guns N' Roses videos on YouTube with Slash in the videos.

Axl's lawsuit against activision appears to be without merit because asking Activision to omit Slash from reference to the intellectual property created and controlled by the pre 96 partnership would be competing against the owners of the music, and that would be unconscionable.

Good call. Its not like Slash / Activison are promoting anything to do with Chinese Democracy Guns N'Roses.

If Axl / Blackfrog wins and recieves 20 million from Activision - once the lawyers have taken their cut, does that mean Axl will recieve 1/5th of what is left, with the rest going to Slash, Duff, Adler and Izzy - as they created the band, the song, and appeared in the music video.

Edited by star

If Axl / Blackfrog wins and recieves 20 million from Activision - once the lawyers have taken their cut, does that mean Axl will recieve 1/5th of what is left, with the rest going to Slash, Duff, Adler and Izzy - as they created the band, the song, and appeared in the music video.

No, why would you think that? The 20 million is not royalties, it is compensation for the damage caused to Axl by the violation of the contract.

"damage caused to Axl".....Bullshit.

Eh? That's the way law suits work. I you have been wronged, you get money as a compensation. Let's have the court decide if that is the case here. Either way nobody is getting any royalty money, which was the question.

Personally I wish he would just let it go. Whether or not he wins the case, he is going to walk away as the loser.

I think it's also cool that Axl essentialized the “new” incarnation of GN'R not be associated with “Jungle” in Guitar Hero III either (whilst he may have some degree of opposition towards the old guys, the reality is he recognizes their stake in the history of Guns N' Roses).

Exactly.

If Axl recognized the old guys stake in GNR... there would be no lawsuit. Whats so wrong about the guitar player who wrote the lead guitar parts of a song being featured in a game that features the same song?

face it, the man just loves stirring shit, this is the most ridiculous lawsuit he's been a part of and thats saying something

Edited by sweetness

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Aside from his pursuit to make people think Bumblefoot or Ashba recorded WTTJ and SCOM, I don't see how anything is damaged here except Axl's precious ego.

Why didn't he request that Jungle be accompanied by a video game edition of the new band then (assuming that was/is his agenda)? On a side note, if there's no legitimate legality (in terms of this) then why did Activision contact Axl in the first place?

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

Let's put aside whether Activision out in writing Slash's avatar would not play WTTJ or SCOM.

How was Axl damaged? Aside from his pursuit to make people think Bumblefoot or Ashba recorded WTTJ and SCOM, I don't see how anything is damaged here except Axl's precious ego.

How is he making people think BBF or DJ recorded WTTJ? Did you miss the part where he said he would give approval for the license if and only if no past or current member of the band's likeness was used in the game?

It is stated very clear in the actual suit. The issue is, according to the lawsuit, to not confuse and conflate the VR and GN'R brands and to not imply any current association between Slash and GN'R.

Ali

The hilarious thing (well, more like the pathetic thing) about all this hatred of Axl by the Slash fan boys? In your world, Axl is the worst person that ever lived in the world and you blame him for ruining the old band. BUT your beloved Slash has put out 5 albums without Axl. He is in a performing band without Axl. He just put out a solo album without Axl. He just played in the super bowl. YET all you guys can do is hang out at a band's forum that Slash isn't part of.....and talk about Axl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slash hasn't been in GnR in over a decade......yet you people are so obssessed with Axl that you can't stay away from here!!!!!!!

Why don't you spend all your time in the VR section? Why don't you spend your time in a forum for a band that you love?

Bash Axl all you want. Bottom like is you are STILL HERE talking about him!!!!!! So keep bashing him, keep blaming Axl for everything, keep praising everything Slash does......but at the end of the day, you cannot stay away from your Axl obssession.

The hilarious thing (well, more like the pathetic thing) about all this hatred of Axl by the Slash fan boys? In your world, Axl is the worst person that ever lived in the world and you blame him for ruining the old band. BUT your beloved Slash has put out 5 albums without Axl. He is in a performing band without Axl. He just put out a solo album without Axl. He just played in the super bowl. YET all you guys can do is hang out at a band's forum that Slash isn't part of.....and talk about Axl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slash hasn't been in GnR in over a decade......yet you people are so obssessed with Axl that you can't stay away from here!!!!!!!

Why don't you spend all your time in the VR section? Why don't you spend your time in a forum for a band that you love?

Bash Axl all you want. Bottom like is you are STILL HERE talking about him!!!!!! So keep bashing him, keep blaming Axl for everything, keep praising everything Slash does......but at the end of the day, you cannot stay away from your Axl obssession.

This should be puspinned to the top of the board and be forced reading for all who sign up. Well done.

Even if you use poor estimates it been at the very least 15 years since the dude was in the band. Its over. Let it go.

This always boggled my mind. Fact of the matter is Guns N' Roses are still the best and even better without $la$h . They are obsssed because $la$h will never EVER work with a talented artist like Axl EVER again.

Only Axl fans have that opinion...even though NuGnR is a talented collection of musicians I doubt most music fans agree with you. And not all Slash fans want him to work with Axl again...I saw the real GnR back in 1987 and 1988 and could care less if they reunite...It would be great for young fans to see the real thing and what all the arguements are about but for me it would be anticlimactic..

They actually think it's cool to bash Axl.....:rolleyes:

It is not bashing when you are telling the truth...you may not like it and wish to ignore what really happend but you can't change history...The truth hurts, get over it...........

Funny. you mention not changing history and ignoring the facts but your still here on a board that is GNR- a band slash LEFT 15 years ago.

This always boggled my mind. Fact of the matter is Guns N' Roses are still the best and even better without $la$h . They are obsssed because $la$h will never EVER work with a talented artist like Axl EVER again.

Better without Slash?!?!You really ARE insane lmfao.It dont matter about how much faster BF or BH can play over Slash the fact is they have NEVER written anything as memorable in GnR as what Slash did back in the day.Most of u nugnr dicks on here probably think DJ Ashba is better than Dave Gilmour lol u dont have a clue.music is about chemistry and feel and emotion which the original gnr had nugnr has its moments but at the end of the day its Axl's session muso band they are paid to play what he says its NOT a real band and hasnt been since the early 90's.And before u flame me i love both Axl AND Slash.GNR dead since 1993 RIP

Let's put aside whether Activision out in writing Slash's avatar would not play WTTJ or SCOM.

How was Axl damaged? Aside from his pursuit to make people think Bumblefoot or Ashba recorded WTTJ and SCOM, I don't see how anything is damaged here except Axl's precious ego.

How is he making people think BBF or DJ recorded WTTJ? Did you miss the part where he said he would give approval for the license if and only if no past or current member of the band's likeness was used in the game?

It is stated very clear in the actual suit. The issue is, according to the lawsuit, to not confuse and conflate the VR and GN'R brands and to not imply any current association between Slash and GN'R.

Ali

The only one who is confusing the GNR brand is Axl and the endless amount of musicians in and out of the lineup. I hope Activision made no guarantees regarding Slash in writing. I hope Axl loses the case, and then sues Ali.

Funny, but you completely avoided what I wrote.

Oh, and by the way, verbal agreements are still binding, they're just harder to prove. If you read the actual details of the lawsuit, Activision actually promised Wayne Milligan, GN'R's licensing administrator, that they would NOT use any Slash imagery in the game. So, it's more than just Axl's word against Activision's.

Ali

Just because a person is a fan of Slash doesnt mean he cant like like NEWGNR. thats silly.

If Axl wants fans to forget about Slash he shouldnt do and say things that bring him back into the picture (lawsuit,songthemes,outbursts during shows, namecalling). This makes the topic of Slash current, making it relevant to discuss on boards , bc it is something that Axl currently did, said or is engaged in.

Only Axl fans have that opinion...even though NuGnR is a talented collection of musicians I doubt most music fans agree with you. And not all Slash fans want him to work with Axl again...I saw the real GnR back in 1987 and 1988 and could care less if they reunite...It would be great for young fans to see the real thing and what all the arguements are about but for me it would be anticlimactic..

It is not bashing when you are telling the truth...you may not like it and wish to ignore what really happend but you can't change history...The truth hurts, get over it...........

Funny. you mention not changing history and ignoring the facts but your still here on a board that is GNR- a band slash LEFT 15 years ago.

Keeping an eye on Axl fans who try to rewrite history.

If it bothers you to hear the truth you should go to the other forum where only positive posts about Axl are allowed..

I think you would be much happpier

Dude. I ain't going anywhere. Try taking your meds.

And Axl will never work with a talented artist like Slash again. How many guitarplayers did Axl have hired and fired since Slash's departure to replace him?

And Axl will never work with a talented artist like Slash again. How many guitarplayers did Axl have hired and fired since Slash's departure to replace him?

I really hope you are both wrong cause the are clearly both struggling without each other (and Izzy , Duf n Steve)