Medina: "Guns N' Roses is only headlining Rock in Rio due to the will of the fans"

Mal'Akh

Roberta+Medina+Rock+in+Rio.jpg

Roberta Medina, vice president of Rock in Rio, said it wasn't only due to her father Roberto Medina good friendship with Axl Rose that Guns N' Roses will headline Rock in Rio, but due to the public, that massively voted to bring the band.

"They've been playing on Rock in Rio since 1991, it was their first concert on Brazil, and they made two legendary concerts at Maracanã. In 2001 the band wasn't touring, but Axl reunited the musicians and rehearsaled for the concert at Rio. A similar story happened in 2006, when they played at the festival on Lisbon. We noticed the band was one of the most asked by the public, and we contacted the camp to bring them."

She said that the popularity of the artists, measured by IBOPE (Brazilian Institute of Public Opinion and Statistics), it's the most important when deciding the line-up.

"Can't think about my favorite band, or your favorite band, we are talking about a 100,000+ public by night. We do'nt think about originality, or bands that have been on Brazil too recently. Our bets are indeed on small artists, and many of them are indicated by the headliners (On 2001 Axl asked Medina to call Papa Roach). But the headliners are the artists that people want to see"

Source

FAN POWER!!! Thanks to everyone who voted :lol:

Edited by Mal'Akh

You don't get it.

I believe one of the main reasons GN'R won't tour US is because Axl won't stand looking at the small arena and see it half-filled. You know him...

When I saw all the twitter trending topics, the massive voting, it was obvious that Axl was feeling huge. The fans promotion made an ego boost to him.

And yet, everyone who voted, knows that the band coming is the current line-up. The promotion was to bring Guns N' Roses, the current Guns N' Roses, not Old'GNR. Accept that.

No one voted thinking "Oh, I hope Axl understand that I'm just voting because I want Slash to be there."

Edited by Mal'Akh

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

Either way fan power was a major factor. Never under estimate the power of the fan!

Sounds like Bollocks to me. If Axl cared that much about the fans, Izzy, Duff, Adler, Slash would take to the stage also.

I don´t mean to be offensive but your comment goes beyond stupidity. Saying Axl doesn´t care about his fans because he doesn´t fulfill your wishes is ridiculous. That band died almost 20 years ago and it´s been made clear that they won´t reunite again.

They´ve been hired to headline RIR because the fans voted for them, and those fans do know who the current members are and those are the ones they want to see. Stop living in 1991, it´s 2011.

Sounds like Bollocks to me. If Axl cared that much about the fans, Izzy, Duff, Adler, Slash would take to the stage also.

I don´t mean to be offensive but your comment goes beyond stupidity. Saying Axl doesn´t care about his fans because he doesn´t fulfill your wishes is ridiculous. That band died almost 20 years ago and it´s been made clear that they won´t reunite again.

They´ve been hired to headline RIR because the fans voted for them, and those fans do know who the current members are and those are the ones they want to see. Stop living in 1991, it´s 2011.

This!

This!

I just think star misinterpreted the meaning of the statement in the article. It does not say "Axl decided to play because the fans wanted him too", it says "we chose GN'R because the fans wanted them, not because Axl is a friend of ours". It has nothing to do with Axl's motives, she is talking about what was behind the organizers' choice.

Seems like it's been questioned though?

This!

I just think star misinterpreted the meaning of the statement in the article. It does not say "Axl decided to play because the fans wanted him too", it says "we chose GN'R because the fans wanted them, not because Axl is a friend of ours". It has nothing to do with Axl's motives, she is talking about what was behind the organizers' choice.

Seems like it's been questioned though?

Did someone do anything to prevent him from reading the whole text before speaking? My guess is not.

Edited by Anonymity

No,what is bollocks is your innane post,you may live in the past,but. The present even caught up with Dorian Gray,remarks like this won't change a thing.

What really matters is that Axl will be there. Hopefully we will see more show. It would be nice if he would tell the fans something and stop the drama.

The "fans" are causing the drama,because they can't get what they wrongly assume

They deserve

What really matters is that Axl will be there. Hopefully we will see more show. It would be nice if he would tell the fans something and stop the drama.

The "fans" are causing the drama,because they can't get what they wrongly assume

They deserve

So it is wrong to want to know what the band is planning for the future appearances,vids, interviews, new music etc.? Other bands seem to be able to let their fans know these things.

Guest siliconmessiah

"They" have not been playiong RIR since 1991. Stop using the word "They." Axl played in 1991.

Dizzy as well.

They. :)

=)

Guns ´N Roses have been playing RIR since 1991. IMO the bands best concerts were made in 1991 and 2006. rock2

Edited by siliconmessiah

Agreed times a million.

Was this vote thing, that link that was touted around here a fair bit last month?

I guess my 30,000 votes went along way to making this happen :rofl-lol:

THIS,sums it all up nicely,nice post Black Horse :)