New IN FLAMES Has Leaked

Gordon Comstock

So, the new In Flames album has leaked!

I'm not listening to it all, as I wanna hear it on the day it comes out, so I'm only listening to about half of it, and only once (it's up on youtube, at the moment).

first impressions:

"Fear Is The Weakness": Musically, it's a lot like "old" In Flames, and wouldn't sound out of place on Clayman at all - even vocally it's pretty "old school". LOVING this song.

"Ropes": Holy shit - SINGING!? Not the "Anders-whiney-singing" you'd expect, but actual SINGING, and it sounds FUCKING GOOD!!! What a pleasant surprise!! The music in the chorus sounds almost uplifting, I'm fucking loving this song! Only problem is it's way too short! Such potential to be something great, but it could do well on rock radio, I think...

"Where the Dead Ships Dwell": Quite a standard "New In Flames" song, but it's still pretty good in my opinion.

"Darker Times": Awesome drums in the into, and it launches into another "classic" In Flames type song - again, vocally the verses wouldn't be entirely out of place on something like Clayman, but the song as a whole is more in the vein of "Come Clarity" in that it alternates to clean vocals for the chorus. A short, sweet, rockin' track... Sick drums! Love the effect at 2:30

"Liberation": Wow... The intro is definitely not what I'd expect, but it sounds pretty cool. Another "New In Flames" song, but it sounds great! It's got that sort of grandiose feeling to it. A great song to end the album on!

So... Anyone else given this a listen yet? I know there's a few people on here that are gonna give this a listen... Opinions yet?

Edited by RickRoses

So, the new In Flames album has leaked!

I'm not listening to it all, as I wanna hear it on the day it comes out, so I'm only listening to about half of it, and only once (it's up on youtube, at the moment).

first impressions:

"Fear Is The Weakness": Musically, it's a lot like "old" In Flames, and wouldn't sound out of place on Clayman at all - even vocally it's pretty "old school". LOVING this song.

"Ropes": Holy shit - SINGING!? Not the "Anders-whiney-singing" you'd expect, but actual SINGING, and it sounds FUCKING GOOD!!! What a pleasant surprise!! The music in the chorus sounds almost uplifting, I'm fucking loving this song! Only problem is it's way too short! Such potential to be something great, but it could do well on rock radio, I think...

"Where the Dead Ships Dwell": Quite a standard "New In Flames" song, but it's still pretty good in my opinion.

"Darker Times": Awesome drums in the into, and it launches into another "classic" In Flames type song - again, vocally the verses wouldn't be entirely out of place on something like Clayman, but the song as a whole is more in the vein of "Come Clarity" in that it alternates to clean vocals for the chorus. A short, sweet, rockin' track... Sick drums! Love the effect at 2:30

"Liberation": Wow... The intro is definitely not what I'd expect, but it sounds pretty cool. Another "New In Flames" song, but it sounds great! It's got that sort of grandiose feeling to it. A great song to end the album on!

So... Anyone else given this a listen yet? I know there's a few people on here that are gonna give this a listen... Opinions yet?

Had the whole album for about a week. I can within my head completely justify this as the same band who wrote Whoracle and Colony, this feels like a completely logical progression for them into the 21st century where some of their efforts (STYE, ASOP) did not. The most important thing is that the MELODY is back at the core of everything again, it was present but buried on Reroute and more prevalent but still secondary to "chugga chugga" on Come Clarity.

From the very beginning to the final strains, melody defines this album. Even if it's melody played on synth that the purists will hate, or vocal melodies that just seems to be expanding on In Flames' musical repertoire. This was the same on TJR, Whoracle, Colony and Clayman: and THAT is why I feel this album can stand proud as the best In Flames release since that era. Stand out tracks for me are the title track, All For Me (has strains of Gyroscope written all over it to my ears) Fear is the Weakness (love that synth line, gives me some crazy beautiful mental images), The Attic (the haunted feel is really something special) Ropes (Bjorn is no fucking slouch, really upbeat and inspirational too) Enter Tragedy (hearing it in CD quality really brought out the power, it's the closest thing on this album to Artifacts of the Black Rain) and A New Dawn (obviously a masterpiece as previously discussed by pretty much everyone).

Thought Dead Ships was the weakest track on first listen, but I love that harmonised guitar after the second chorus and actually the song itself feels quite atmospheric, definitely got into it more, if it's the worst track it's gotta be a pretty bitchin' disc. Darker Times is pretty good, although it uses exactly the same chorus chord progression as Sounds of a Playground Fading, I guess that could be seen as kinda cool, cementing the album as a contiguous entity by throwing in little references, kinda like Coheed and Cambria do on their concept albums... or you could complain about it.

Overall an extremely solid effort, best album released by my (joint) favourite band in years. At the moment I'm giving it 8/10 but I really hope it's a grower!