Why does is every show pro shot but never released to the public

fergus

I don't think miming or actually singing makes that much of a difference, as...the audio isn't even part of the edit, and Slash can't fake playing the guitar.

They probably don't have anything turned 'on', as I can't think of anything more annoying than listening to the same part of the song 400 times at 100 decibels.

(Which is another reason they mime - you don't want to be singing for 12 hours - starting, stopping, starting, stopping, into the morning - for no reason).

It really doesn't matter haha. I just misinterpreted your post. My bad.

I've said this many times, and will continue to say it, bands should sell audio and video recordings of their shows to fans that are interested.

A lot of bands (KISS, Alice Cooper, etc.) already do the audio thing, but video recordings would be fantastic!

Buy a code at the show then in a couple weeks download it at home or pay an extra $5-10 and have a DVD (or even a blu-ray option which would be phenomenal) sent to your house.

I guarantee that bands would make a ton of money doing something like that, and many fans, myself included, would do it for just about any show they went to.

I've said this many times, and will continue to say it, bands should sell audio and video recordings of their shows to fans that are interested.

A lot of bands (KISS, Alice Cooper, etc.) already do the audio thing, but video recordings would be fantastic!

Buy a code at the show then in a couple weeks download it at home or pay an extra $5-10 and have a DVD (or even a blu-ray option which would be phenomenal) sent to your house.

I guarantee that bands would make a ton of money doing something like that, and many fans, myself included, would do it for just about any show they went to.

For sure.

And that would be like a 100% cash business - no record company accounting, no retailers taking their chunk, etc.

Now-a-days you could be burning the show on duplicators and have guys selling them (a few hundred, at least) to people as they try and leave the parking lot.

But it's the old "the performance was good enough for us (the people in this building, and only tonight), but not good enough for... them (the rest of the world, for the rest of all time) issue.

The Welcome To The Jungle video wasn't a live video shoot.

They might have played some songs in between camera setups to keep the extras awake, but...

Is that so?

Did you not read anything I posted?

Because they play the song through doesn't mean that's just what's on the video.

WTTJ is not just a live concert video with shots of Axl at a bus station and in an insane asylum.

What you DON'T see on that video is shot after shot after shot of them shooting Axl in close ups, or shooting Slash's hands in closeups, or even shooting Steven hitting the drums in close-ups.

They didn't have 400 cameras and then cut it all together.

Take, after take, after take, after take. That's not... "live", like "live concert video" live.

When they filmed "Welcome to the Jungle", did they film them doing other songs?

Was what I originally responded to. The post was written like the crew just showed up to a Guns club gig and made a video out of it.

I *just* watched WTTJ, I haven't watched it in years... and I counted less than 30 seconds worth of footage that showed the band WITH the audience extras. The rest of it, if you look at it closely, keeps the audience well out of frame. They may have only had the full 'crowd' there for 3 songs, and then kept 10 people for the insert shots.

Look at it closely... it's not live, it's Memorex. ;)

They probably only used 3 seconds of the full crowd footage.

And my goodness, people, like every shot of Axl singing here he's miming. Sorry to burst your bubble.

If you can't actually SEE a crowd in the shot, the crowd is NOT there. That's how filming works. They show enough crowd to give you the sense that there's a crowd, and then it's basically just the band and the film crew. And a few fist pumping people picked out of the larger crowd get a few seconds, as well as one pretty blond woman. Sure, they filmed the band playing live, and then they simulated the rest for basically all the other shots that you see (except for the blurry far away ones).

Edited by Gagarin

Settle down, Beavis.

I quoted you and wrote 3 words: "Is that so?" But no I didn't read what you quoted, I just got lucky and replaced the middle sentence with an elipsis in the quote. :fuckyou:

I felt your description was a mischaracterization, and despite your lengthy yammering pile of bullshit, I still believe that your initial post was an inaccurate description on several levels. You have shown me the error of my ways.

I have a question though... did you even watch the youtube clip I posted? lmao

Settle down, Beavis.

I quoted you and wrote 3 words: "Is that so?" But no I didn't read what you quoted, I just got lucky and replaced the middle sentence with an elipsis in the quote. :fuckyou:

I felt your description was a mischaracterization, and despite your lengthy yammering pile of bullshit, I still believe that your initial post was an inaccurate description on several levels. You have shown me the error of my ways.

Yeah, it's a camcorder of them playing to the extras. Notice how you can't see any of the filming cameras on stage or near the stage?

They use about 3 seconds of that in the music video. Just like they shot all the Estranged video close ups in Florida even though the wide shots were in Germany.

WTTJ is not a live video. It's not like them editing together a bunch of stuff for the cheap UYI videos. It's NOT a live video.

Even Slash said they played it through 3 times.

See, even the wideshot was a product of multiple takes. Not a live video. And isn't that playback I hear? I can't tell on the crappy quality.

It's just a movie set.

Edited by Gagarin

I think it would be cool if they made the live shows available to the people who went to go see it, and let them trade the shows off, just write the recording costs into the ticket.

But the reason to do a barebones DVD would also tie in to GNR telling people to shut the cameras off and pay attention to what's going on onstage.

Settle down, Beavis.

Yeah, it's a camcorder of them playing to the extras. Notice how you can't see any of the filming cameras on stage or near the stage?

They use about 3 seconds of that in the music video. Just like they shot all the Estranged video close ups in Florida even though the wide shots were in Germany.

WTTJ is not a live video. It's not like them editing together a bunch of stuff for the cheap UYI videos. It's NOT a live video.

See, even the wideshot was a product of multiple takes. Not a live video.

It's just a movie set.

Well I'm glad you keep making up shit I never said and then rambling off blathering unneededly descriptive nonsense. I NEVER SAID IT WAS A LIVE VIDEO SO PLEASE STFU already. But thank you for explaining to me in all those words how videos are made. I had no idea.

I'm also glad you seem to have a magical ability to know where are all the cameras are.. y'know, like the ones that you can't see. Anyway point is: I'm not saying the video wasn't a conglomeration. Any dipshit with eyes can tell in the video there was multiple footage spliced together. When I was 8 years old I spotted Slash's shirt changing and the brief shot of Axl with his shirt off (and perhaps different leather pants). But again thank you for enlightening me. Enjoy the link I posted!

Settle down, Beavis.

See, even the wideshot was a product of multiple takes. Not a live video.

It's just a movie set.

Well I'm glad you keep making up shit I never said and then rambling off blathering unneededly descriptive nonsense. I NEVER SAID IT WAS A LIVE VIDEO SO PLEASE STFU already. But thank you for explaining to me in all those words how videos are made. I had no idea.

I'm also glad you seem to have a magical ability to know where are all the cameras are.. y'know, like the ones that you can't see. Anyway point is: I'm not saying the video wasn't a conglomeration. Any dipshit with eyes can tell in the video there was multiple footage spliced together. When I was 8 years old I spotted Slash's shirt changing and the brief shot of Axl with his shirt off (and perhaps different leather pants). But again thank you for enlightening me. Enjoy the link I posted!

I don't even know where you came into this, except I said:

The Welcome To The Jungle video wasn't a live video shoot.

They might have played some songs in between camera setups to keep the extras awake, but...

And you post "is that so?"

So somewhere you're either doubting that 'it wasn't a live video shoot' or that they 'might have played some songs in between to keep the extras awake, but...' (they probably didn't play other songs, so there's nothing extra to release...if they even 'played' WTTJ).

So what part of that did you have a bone with? If you basically agreed with what I said, then why put "is that so?" What an interesting contribution.

It's not a magical ability to see that you can't see any sort of camera near the stage, because the wideshot would have been shot from where the camcorder guy was standing...the back of the room.

And to me that video sounds like playback, so... they probably didn't play ANY of it. I'm not attached to either thought.

So my question is - what were you trying to express, what was YOUR point with 'Is that so?'

And don't take it personally. Yeah, I type. Might be verbose.

But people post all kinds of silly crap here.

Especially silly crap about the music business and how they think it works, like about royalties, publishing rights, and why Axl 'video tapes' each show. Honestly the average poster here believes what they see on TV way too much. So don't take my long windedness personally.

Edited by Gagarin