Why does is every show pro shot but never released to the public

fergus

I am thinking to myself watching a old UYI Tape why does Axl have every show proshot if he almost never releases anything to the public...?

It must be expensive for every GNR concert he has many cameraman to film his performances....

He must have a huge VHS and DVD stand full of concerts that he only watches wen not touring I assume?

I am thinking to myself watching a old UYI Tape why does Axl have every show proshot if he almost never releases anything to the public...?

It must be expensive for every GNR concert he has many cameraman to film his performances....

He must have a huge VHS and DVD stand full of concerts that he only watches wen not touring I assume?

I imagine there is a lot of stuff Axl has that he will never release to the public! The 2+ albums worth of songs he has left over from the late 90's-early 2000's, all the concert shows, etc., granted, releasing EVERY concert on DVD would be an overkill, but it would be nice to get a couple things here and there.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

To scrutinize himself.

Even if there's camera men at the concerts, it doesn't mean the material would make a good DVD/Blu Ray release.

They're mainly there to give a feed to the video walls.

A full blown production meant for release would have several more camera spots to make it as good as possible. Camera booms panning over the audience for instance. As far as I've seen, they haven't used gyro controlled cameras at the shows, these are used to get a more "lively shot".

it is mainly used for rehearsal reasons .. axl can look back on the show/s and decided what he wants to add or take away

HARDLY.

This is the answer.

They're mainly there to give a feed to the video walls.

A full blown production meant for release would have several more camera spots to make it as good as possible. Camera booms panning over the audience for instance. As far as I've seen, they haven't used gyro controlled cameras at the shows, these are used to get a more "lively shot".

Edited by 31illusion

Back in the late 70s-early 80s, arenas started videotaping events (they called it closed circuit TV because it wasn't meant for broadcast), but some of them snuck the cameras on, like at Largo, MD, Houston TX, and Uniondale, NY. But the Largo footage is the one that wound up in bootlegger circles.

At the time GNR had this stuff videotaped, they prob. just did it for a possible video release, commercials or like in "Live and Let Die" making a video comprised of tour footage.

There's def. enough GNR footage from the UYI tour to make a cool documentary out of, only if they were going to make a movie about watching a band self destruct on the road. I guarantee it's something most of them wouldn't want to watch, but the footage itself telling a story, could see the value in releasing it.

The only reason to release anything on Blu Ray is if it was shot on film, not videotape, or shot in HD, which didn't exist in the US until the 2000s, yet in other countries, they were already broadcasting in HD.

if GNR ever do something like "Cliff Em All" or "Plug Me In", I can see the footage being made available. When they filmed "Welcome to the Jungle", did they film them doing other songs? I think it would be cool to put it out, to beat the bootleggers. Ritz 1988 was videotaped, but the only thing they'd be able to do with that is using the soundboard tapes and making them 5.1.

But I bet if there was video during the making of ChiDem, people would def. want to see that.

I would guess now at least part of it has to due with royalties to the old members. There have been a lot of members in GNR. Pre-1993 shows obviously have royalties to Slash/Duff/Izzy/Matt/Stevie/Gilby/Arkeen//Dizzy/Dylan/McCartney. CD-Era has royalties to all of them, plus Buckethead/Robin/Josh/Brain/Tobias/Ron/Frank/Richard/Pittman/whoever did the orchestrals. That's a lot of people.

The Welcome To The Jungle video wasn't a live video shoot.

All the close ups and maybe the wideshots are products of multiple takes.

They might have played some songs in between camera setups to keep the extras awake, but...

I would guess now at least part of it has to due with royalties to the old members. There have been a lot of members in GNR. Pre-1993 shows obviously have royalties to Slash/Duff/Izzy/Matt/Stevie/Gilby/Arkeen//Dizzy/Dylan/McCartney. CD-Era has royalties to all of them, plus Buckethead/Robin/Josh/Brain/Tobias/Ron/Frank/Richard/Pittman/whoever did the orchestrals. That's a lot of people.

Royalties come out of sales, so, this isn't a big deal.

Its probably recorded for Axl himself so he can watch what he did right and what he did wrong. Michael Jackson taped all of his this is it rehearsals so he could study the tapes and correct the things he did not like. Those tapes would not have been released if he was still alive. I cant know for sure but I would not be surprised if gnr shows are taped for the same reason Michael taped his rehearsals - to improve the performance.

They might have played some songs in between camera setups to keep the extras awake, but...

I could've sworn they actually were playing WTTJ live, not just miming it. Source?

I could've sworn they actually were playing WTTJ live, not just miming it. Source?

From Shash' autobiography.

"That second day, yet again, was another long shoot on location, but at least we shot the band performing the song live. We made it an event: we did the song on a closed set, then we opened it up and filled the club with an audience and played it three times in a row. Tha was cool. And that was a wrap on our first video."

"That second day, yet again, was another long shoot on location, but at least we shot the band performing the song live. We made it an event: we did the song on a closed set, then we opened it up and filled the club with an audience and played it three times in a row. Tha was cool. And that was a wrap on our first video."

That didn't answer my question at all. I was saying they weren't miming it, that they were actually playing it...

That didn't answer my question at all. I was saying they weren't miming it, that they were actually playing it...

You can be playing it and have it be multiple takes. I assure you the closeups of Axl were closeups, he might be singing, but he's not in the middle of performing the song (probably).

No source needed, that's how you shoot video. Multiple takes. They didn't just have the band go up there with a bunch of cameras and come out with a video.

November Rain was performed live with that orchestra, but it was multiple takes. Over and over and over again. This time shooting Slash. This time shooting Axl. This time shooting the orchestra.

They could even perform the song live 3 times and then STILL have to do closeups that are not part of anything "live". Moving light around and framing shots is a big deal. They could have done 3 live play throughs and then wallowed in 12 hours of setting up 3 closeups of Slash's fingers and Axl's face.

Edited by Gagarin

You can be playing it and have it be multiple takes. I assure you the closeups of Axl were closeups, he might be singing, but he's not in the middle of performing the song (probably).

No source needed, that's how you shoot video. Multiple takes. They didn't just have the band go up there with a bunch of cameras and come out with a video.

November Rain was performed live with that orchestra, but it was multiple takes. Over and over and over again. This time shooting Slash. This time shooting Axl. This time shooting the orchestra.

Okay, yeah, we're on a totally different page. I interpret live as playing instead of miming. I didn't actually mean it came from, like, a concert or something.

Yes, I understand how music videos are made, but most artists I know of mime instead of sing.

Gah, it's not worth explaining what I meant. Whatever. We're talking about two different things, it seems.

I don't think miming or actually singing makes that much of a difference, as...the audio isn't even part of the edit, and Slash can't fake playing the guitar.

They probably don't have anything turned 'on', as I can't think of anything more annoying than listening to the same part of the song 400 times at 100 decibels.

(Which is another reason they mime - you don't want to be singing for 12 hours - starting, stopping, starting, stopping, into the morning - for no reason).