UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, Plaintiff, vs. KEVIN COGILL, Defendant. )

axlr23

On or about June 18, 2008, defendant received unauthorized copies of songs

purporting to be nine musical tracks from the album “Chinese Democracy” performed

by the rock bank Guns N’ Roses. A valid United States Copyright existed on each of

the nine songs of the “Chinese Democracy” album, which on June 18, 2008, had not yet

been released but was being prepared for commercial release by Guns N’ Roses and

Universal Music Group’s Interscope-Geffen-A&M records (the record label).

Within minutes of receiving the unauthorized tracks, Mr. Cogill uploaded the

tracks to his Internet website Antiquiet.com. The tracks were not made available for

downloading but only for listening in real time by a streaming player. At the time, Mr.

Cogill was aware that the musical tracks were protected under United States copyright

laws, and he was aware that he did not have authorization to upload the songs over the

Internet and that to do so was illegal. to view the rest of the documents click the link below

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE CENTRAL DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA

I don't think it's this guy, because that was back in 2003 (and it's mentioned on pg 7 on the doc)

Mike_Piazza.jpg

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1477813/baseball-star-leaks-new-gnr-single.jhtml

The origin? Someone who had to have followed Cogill's blog was prob an intern or someone who had an issue with GNR taking too long to release the CD. It doesn't sound like he would've exchanged money.

I'm sure Axl and Beta figured it down to a few people who could have leaked it. Odds are, the same one who prob. uploaded those documents that almost caused the forum to shut down. Done with good intentions or out to screw Axl over, who knows...

not sure what the purpose of this thread is? anyway, always wondered where Cogill got the tracks.

To me, that's still the most important unanswered question in that whole deal.

don't quote me on this, but I seem to remember when Cogill was posting here, he said something like the GNR Camp would be embarrassed if it ever came out.

not sure what the purpose of this thread is? anyway, always wondered where Cogill got the tracks.

To me, that's still the most important unanswered question in that whole deal.

don't quote me on this, but I seem to remember when Cogill was posting here, he said something like the GNR Camp would be embarrassed if it ever came out.

I would not quote you even with a "loaded" shotgun aimed at my dick.

That's the same thing I wonder about your existence on this board. Oh wait, you just get your jollies trolling real fans. Ok nevermind then.

On or about June 18, 2008, defendant received unauthorized copies of songs

purporting to be nine musical tracks from the album “Chinese Democracy” performed

by the rock bank Guns N’ Roses. A valid United States Copyright existed on each of

the nine songs of the “Chinese Democracy” album, which on June 18, 2008, had not yet

been released but was being prepared for commercial release by Guns N’ Roses and

Universal Music Group’s Interscope-Geffen-A&M records (the record label).

Within minutes of receiving the unauthorized tracks, Mr. Cogill uploaded the

tracks to his Internet website Antiquiet.com. The tracks were not made available for

downloading but only for listening in real time by a streaming player. At the time, Mr.

Cogill was aware that the musical tracks were protected under United States copyright

laws, and he was aware that he did not have authorization to upload the songs over the

Internet and that to do so was illegal. to view the rest of the documents click the link below

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE CENTRAL DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA

so I read through the document (skimming some)...kind of funny that he used wikipedia as a reliable source of information. maybe it is, but I doubt it. he also explained what the word "blog" is (web log), but goes on to use the term "rip" (as in ripping the files to disc or other media).

read like it was written by a law school clerk....guess that is all he could afford.

Cogill had worked for UMG and then quit or got fired, thats where he got the tracks

Casey Anthony said she worked for Universal, too.

Even if he was an employee, someone else at Universal would have had to given him the songs somehow. I mean, people who know people get screener DVDs from SAG members. It's def. possible someone at Universal ripped the CD to a file, some exec left his computer unattended and didn't lock it.

Op, this is old, old news. Anyway, at about this time, he granted an interview to SLC Punk that is posted on his site. Here is a snip:

The GnR Syndicate: Were the authorities interested in where the songs came from, or just that you posted them online? What did they want to know? Did their actions (i.e. providing you with the tracks) result in any adverse consequences? How did they get the songs?

Skwerl: The authorities wanted to know who the source was, but I didn’t know. I had a story, but I didn’t necessarily believe it. We (and whenever I say “we”, I mean my legal team) had to conduct our own investigation to get to the bottom of all of it. This meant that we could question my leads & contacts privately, rather than having the FBI do it and cause a big crazy shit storm. I can’t get into details of who led us where, but we were able to protect my friends’ identities.

The GnR Syndicate: I guess the biggie is: How did you come across these leaks? Was it somebody close to the band?

Skwerl: Ah, the big one. The one I won’t answer just yet. The decision not to talk about this is not an easy one for me to make, but I can say that it is my decision entirely. There’s no secret gag order, and I’m not involved in any sort of ongoing investigation. What I can also say is that we completed our investigation, and figured out exactly where the songs came from, and how they wound up in my hands. I could go public with this information, but for now, I’m saving it for a rainy day.

Edited by Thelonious