Axl and Dj on That Metal Show

Spirit

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another interview with Eddie regarding the Axl interview... not posting the whole thing, but this quote was quite interesting:

"He has new management, and they reached out to VH1 and inquired about what sort of things that they might be able to do to get the word out that Axl's out on the road and all that."

Maybe they finally have a management team who actually wants to promote, wonder who it is...

Whole interview:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/popcandy/post/2011/11/interview-eddie-trunk-previews-his-big-chat-with-axl-rose/1

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR
What did you think of the new line-up’s performance?

I've seen various versions of GN'R since the original band broke up, some line-ups better than others, but I was pleasantly surprised. Axl in particular sounded great. People always ask, "Was it as good as the original band?" No band is ever going to be as good as the original line-up. That shouldn't even be a part of the thought process. That said, they did great renditions of the old songs, they played the new material, and everyone had a solo, a chance to shine.

I believe Eddie defines “new material” as Better, Street of Dreams, Catcher etc. rather than Atlas, The General and Silkworms.

Therefore the topic of “new material” published earlier on Eddie’s Twitter might be about the 2008 album as opposed to unreleased efforts.

Do you think the Slash Vs. Axl Rose beef is repairable?

I do. I saw Slash a couple days ago in Los Angeles, where I was giving an award for Ronnie James Dio's cancer foundation, and we talked a little bit. He knew that I'd just interviewed Axl, and he asked about Axl and how he was. I said that Axl mentioned him in the interview, and that it wasn't anything negative. Slash said, "Yeah, we've actually been pretty cool lately." Slash is a pretty easy-going guy, and he'll ride with the tide.

^^This part intrigued me

It was cool to hear about what it was like talking to Axl, both Eddie Truck and Axl seems like really chill guys

Yes, why doesn't anybody take notice of this. WHAT DOES IT MEAN?! Do they speak or have the lawyer communication gone smoothly lately or what?

You know, in an ideal world, now would be the ideal time for both guys to let old wounds heal.

Axl is busy with GNR,Slash is happy doing his own thing. If they could just bury the hatchet now, with no hidden agenda, no commitments, no-one owes each other anything. Just making up and wishing each other well. Then they can focus on doing their own thing with things cool in the background

LA

Who is he quoting when he says that "so many jokes, so little time" thing? Can't hear what he says right before it.

Wondered that myself... sounds like he says Clooney

Funny 'cause I've been thinking his voice is similar to Clooney's since we heard the first clips! Maybe that's just me.

we're definitely not able to watch it in Canada, WTF vh1???? :fuckyou:

On page 28 of the thread someone links to Hotspot Shield which makes your IP adress private. I tried it and it works.

For this sneak peek I didn't need it though... strange.

Do you think the Slash Vs. Axl Rose beef is repairable?

I do. I saw Slash a couple days ago in Los Angeles, where I was giving an award for Ronnie James Dio's cancer foundation, and we talked a little bit. He knew that I'd just interviewed Axl, and he asked about Axl and how he was. I said that Axl mentioned him in the interview, and that it wasn't anything negative. Slash said, "Yeah, we've actually been pretty cool lately." Slash is a pretty easy-going guy, and he'll ride with the tide.

^^This part intrigued me

It was cool to hear about what it was like talking to Axl, both Eddie Truck and Axl seems like really chill guys

Yes, why doesn't anybody take notice of this. WHAT DOES IT MEAN?! Do they speak or have the lawyer communication gone smoothly lately or what?

You know, in an ideal world, now would be the ideal time for both guys to let old wounds heal.

Axl is busy with GNR,Slash is happy doing his own thing. If they could just bury the hatchet now, with no hidden agenda, no commitments, no-one owes each other anything. Just making up and wishing each other well. Then they can focus on doing their own thing with things cool in the background

LA

I can see Axl calling Slash up and telling him to make a few calls and saying "grab your guitar,meet me at the Troubadour.." Close the bar down and make it a private party, do some songs, and try not to make it a high profile thing until after the fact. Just book Steel Panther to play the gig and have GNR come out, taking over for the rest of the night. Because if word got out, the record company and lawyers would be fucking it up by throwing numbers and their ideas into it. This wouldn't be about money, it would just be about musicians getting together for a night, and if they suck, it stays in the room amongst friends.

I don't think Slash said anything damning in his book, and I'm pretty sure after Axl wrote the book, said there were some things wrong in there, but prob. didn't feel there was anything incendiary. They all know that the journalists are partly to blame for keeping the feud ongoing, and as far as they're concerned, they can now talk about the shared legacy of that time in their lives. Slash is fine never performing with Axl again, he accepts that, but I'm sure if he got the call, he'd stop what he was doing and go. With the Rock Hall being a good possibility, it's possible they'll wind up talking over the next year, and they may not want to discuss that with the fans.

But you can't ask questions to an artist about reunion tours, because that's a lot more people involved. Then you're talking lawyers, contracts, business BS, etc. If they get together to do a show, that's far more likely. But I think Axl likes things how they are right now, and that would just take away from what he's worked on putting together.

To me, it wouldn't be a nostalgia tour as much as bringing the original artists back into the fold so people can hear them together. I think if he planned on doing a box set, it would be cool if they all worked on some of the unfinished songs. But I could see Izzy and Duff writing songs with this band. All in all, GNR and classic VH kind of have the same things going - the body of work from back in the day also has a fair share of unreleased stuff, or things that have been bootlegged for a while.

I felt Live 86-93 should have also been out on DVD as a box set. There's a story in the footage, enough old interviews (and throw in some new ones) to make a documentary about it. And I think everyone in GNR would be down for taking part in it.

Axl looks great - he's charismatic as fuck and well-respected which makes people sit and listen to him like lapdogs even at 5am.

Kinda bothers me that any mainstream mention of Gnr consists of: Axl being sued, Slash, or being late for shows. Always. ALWAYS. On the other hand, there's no such thing as bad publicity, I suppose.