Anyone Read Duff McKagans Autobiography?

Drifter

Just finished reading Duff's book, it was a good read and i really enjoyed it, although it wasn't as graphic as Slashs i felt i could paint more of a picture when reading Slashs, but it was good read nonetheless.

The only thing was the ending wasn't that good, kinda felt there was something missing.

Anyone else read it? thoughts on it?

:)

I am about 3/4 through and agree it is not as detailed as Slash's but it does give some nice detail about events not covered by Slash like the tour from hell to Seattle....

And I was also surprised that Duff was so open about his feelings about Axl...He really seemed to point the finger at Axl for killing the band spirit for him IMHO...He specifically mentions the Stones show where Axl rants about the bands heroin use and the band trip to Chicago to write songs for the UYI albums where Axl showed up weeks late as being nails in the coffin for the band...ALso confirms the late starts and Axl walking off stage as being big issues for him........Hopefully someday Axl, Izzy will write books but would love for and people like Alan Niven, Tom Zutuat and Doug Goldstirn to write tell all books to get outside perspective from someone close to the band............

Yea i agree with you, think Duff's book was more polished and Slash's was more raw, i also thought Stevens book was very good to.

I do think Duff pointed the finger at Axl a lot but he did also say that Axl was the only one there for him when things got bad with him, with his Pancreas and all and he did say he didn't want his friendship to end with Axl.

I agree with you about books from Izzy and Axl.

Just ordered the book. Didn't even know it was available in my country yet but it was actually even translated. The title was messed up though - they kept "It's So Easy" in English but translated "And Other Lies". Would have preferred having a translator that was at least as familiar with Duff to know that the last part was also a pun. Ordered it in English though.

The ones who have read it, what do you think Axl will think/does think about the book? Does he know there is shit about him in it and still invited Duff to come play with him, or could that be an issue? I mean, it was reported that some of Axl's problem with Slash is the shit written in his book.

Edited by Changes

I am about 3/4 through and agree it is not as detailed as Slash's but it does give some nice detail about events not covered by Slash like the tour from hell to Seattle....

And I was also surprised that Duff was so open about his feelings about Axl...He really seemed to point the finger at Axl for killing the band spirit for him IMHO...He specifically mentions the Stones show where Axl rants about the bands heroin use and the band trip to Chicago to write songs for the UYI albums where Axl showed up weeks late as being nails in the coffin for the band...ALso confirms the late starts and Axl walking off stage as being big issues for him........Hopefully someday Axl, Izzy will write books but would love for and people like Alan Niven, Tom Zutuat and Doug Goldstirn to write tell all books to get outside perspective from someone close to the band............

Yea i agree with you, think Duff's book was more polished and Slash's was more raw, i also thought Stevens book was very good to.

I do think Duff pointed the finger at Axl a lot but he did also say that Axl was the only one there for him when things got bad with him, with his Pancreas and all and he did say he didn't want his friendship to end with Axl.

I agree with you about books from Izzy and Axl.

I think both he and Slash were telling it like it was and getting a lot of the poison out of there system regarding Axl...these guys were like brothers so I am not surprised Duff and Axl have reconnected...I think Axl and Slash could do the same thing but it would take a third party to bring them together and mediate so can't see it happening anytime soon as both are too stubborn to back down at this point..........

Yea i think Duff seems a more forgiving guy and Slash is more of a grudge holder like Axl, I seen an interview with Slash somewhere and he was asked about the whole Axl Slash feud and he said that he prefers not to talk about it as only negative things come out of his mouth when talking about it, he also admitted that he is the one that starts things so just prefers not to talk about it. I think him and Axl still care about each other and don't wish anything bad upon one another but i think there 'Feud' will always be there and i would be very very surprise if they ever spoke again its sad though to think that once upon a time they were so close and made something so great and then it just all disappeared. But i do believe they still love each other like brothers no matter what.

Just ordered the book. Didn't even know it was available in my country yet but it was actually even translated. The title was messed up though - they kept "It's So Easy" in English but translated "And Other Lies". Would have preferred having a translator that was at least as familiar with Duff to know that the last part was also a pun. Ordered it in English though.

The ones who have read it, what do you think Axl will think/does think about the book? Does he know there is shit about him in it and still invited Duff to come play with him, or could that be an issue? I mean, it was reported that some of Axl's problem with Slash is the shit written in his book.

I don't think Axl will mind the book tbh, and Duff wasnt as harsh on Axl as Slash was in his book because Duff stated that Axl was a very good friend who was there for him in his hour of need when no one else was. he gave insight to Axl's dark and kind side. He also sadi after playing with Axl that time in London that he regretted not talking to Axl in 13years and that he doesn't ever want to lose there friendship

Steven can write?

It seems so, his autobiography was also good lol

Edited by Drifter

I read it and really liked it. Although Duff did say that Axl was a major problem during the illusion tours, he also talks about how Axl was the only GNR member who contacted him when he was in the hospital after his pancreas burst. I had always read that Duff quit the band in disgust. According to his book that was not the case at all. He seemed genuinely ready to just move onto other things in his life. Also really enjoyed a more detailed look at the Duff and Axl accidental meeting at the hotel in London last October. Good book and Duff comes across as a honest and very likeable dude.

I posted this in the thread about Loaded opening but it went unnoticed. When Axl posted here he was very clear about what went down with ownership of the band name. That was the subject he wanted to clarify and talk about more then anything. He took all questions on it and even went so far as to say that if Slash (and Duff's) version of events were true then he could of been sued and had the agreement over turned, because the guys were "forced" to sign under duress. Now if Duff is sticking to this story and from what I've seen of his book, he is. How can him and Axl not butt heads over this. It's not a small disagreement between friends, it's a major sticking point. I tend to believe Axl's side more because of the legal issue he pointed out. The fact that Duff and Slash spent the better part of the 90's in a haze so their memory might not be what they hope it was. As well as the fact that Duff stuck around for a long time after the partnership was agreed to and if he was as furious as he says he was ,then how could he put it aside and work with Axl for that long afterwards? I find it hard to believe that Axl would be cool with Duff after this. I mean Duff is pretty much perpetrating the same exact lie that Slash and Slash's management conjured up. Thats what Axl told us, so it seems strange that he wouldn't have a problem with Duff's creative re- imagining , since it's one of the MAJOR points of contention between Axl and Slash.

watching a docu about the last 48 hours of kurt cobains life nw on bbc4. hopefully they mention something about the flight with duff.

by the way. i read his book. great read and was very suprosed about hos coke addiction. didnt know it was that bad. liked it :)

Its a fantastic book. Its worth picking up for anyone looking for an interesting read in general

If all you are looking for is the dirt on all the bad shit that went down in GNR then this book probably isn't gonna be for you. Although it touches on some things here and there its mostly about Duff's descent into decadence and how he has been able to rise above it and be the person who he is today

It is definitely an inspiring book :thumbsup:

from what duff writes it sounds like axl really pushed everyone away with his want for control. i hope izzy writes a book more so than axl. i could see axl's book being like a million pages of how slash was and is cancer

I doubt it. That 'cancer' thing is not being interpreted in the way Axl intended. A cancer in this context being something that was killing Guns N' Roses and had to be removed to save it. Not as in he thinks that Slash is pure evil.

Edited by Flayer

from what duff writes it sounds like axl really pushed everyone away with his want for control. i hope izzy writes a book more so than axl. i could see axl's book being like a million pages of how slash was and is cancer

I doubt it. That 'cancer' thing is not being interpreted in the way Axl intended. A cancer in this context being something that was killing Guns N' Roses and had to be removed to save it. Not as in he thinks that Slash is pure evil.

Correct me if I'm wrong but did Slash leave the band on his own?

Correct me if I'm wrong but did Slash leave the band on his own?

Yeah. But Axl would never take him back.

Pleeease can somebody give some info on what happened at that hotel more than Duff has said in interviews? I can't wait for the book!

From what I remember reading earlier, Duff went to Axl's hotel room right after all his meetings to finally meet him. Axl's entourage were outside his room and told Duff he couldn't go in because Axl was showering. "I've seen him naked before", Duff says. Axl opens the door and let's Duff in anyway. Duff and his wife go on a ferry with Axl to the gig at O2. Axl invites Duff and his wife out to dinner a few days later.

Duff said he didnt know how things would go down when he first met Axl, with all the legal issuses and whatnot. Turns out neither cared about any of that and things were cool again.

Pleeease can somebody give some info on what happened at that hotel more than Duff has said in interviews? I can't wait for the book!

From what I remember reading earlier, Duff went to Axl's hotel room right after all his meetings to finally meet him. Axl's entourage were outside his room and told Duff he couldn't go in because Axl was showering. "I've seen him naked before", Duff says. Axl opens the door and let's Duff in anyway. Duff and his wife go on a ferry with Axl to the gig at O2. Axl invites Duff and his wife out to dinner a few days later.

Duff said he didnt know how things would go down when he first met Axl, with all the legal issuses and whatnot. Turns out neither cared about any of that and things were cool again.

Not sure if serious....?

Nah he is serious, all that stuff is what Duff said happened