Guitar Hero Lawsuit and UMG connections

sailaway

I am actually glad that he is doing this because I think if they could put Slash in the game why couldn't they put Axl in the game...

Because it's called Guitar Hero, not Vocal Hero.

Ozzy Osbourne was in it

This is true. Even Haley Williams is in one of them.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A contract is a contract plain and simple.

If Axl signed off on an agreement that they could use Welcome to the Jungle only if Activision doesn't include Slash or VR and Activision agreed to this and they still went on to used Slash to promote, on the packaging, in the game it's self and also getting a big pay day, which was most likely more than Axls take......

Why wouldn't he sue????

I would, they fucked up it's that simple if what we are being told is correct.

As far as making a CD version of GH to get Axl to drop the suit, the game had aready ran it's course by 2010 and was already started on a HUGH decline in sales so it wouldn't has sold worth a shit and Axl knew this and the money he would make off the game would have be alot less than if he continued with the suit.

Ridiculous lawsuit that only serves to make Axl look like a complete cock.

Are you privy to the specifics of the suit? Are you an attorney? In what way are you qualified to assess whether the suit has merit or not?

If Axl didn't want to participate in a video game without assurances that GNR and VR would not be in the same game and those assurances were given, agreed to, and then the agreement was broken, why *shouldn't* he sue?

Because it makes him look small and petty.

Are you privy to the specifics of the suit? Are you an attorney? In what way are you qualified to assess whether the suit has merit or not?

If Axl didn't want to participate in a video game without assurances that GNR and VR would not be in the same game and those assurances were given, agreed to, and then the agreement was broken, why *shouldn't* he sue?

This is true. It makes him look bitter, too.

You can get into the same argument about Apple Records and Apple Computer. Apple Computer agreed to stay out of music back in the late 70s. Then the iPod happened.

It just sucks that he bails on GNR, then continues to make his living off it. Rights to music he recorded is one thing... but going around promoting yourself as "Mr. Guns N' Roses Guitar God" is misleading, and only serves to make it harder for Axl to continue making new Guns N' Roses music. It just keeps that association alive.

But that's just my opinion, and I undestand that. What's indisputable is how those assholes at the Guitar Hero lied to him and abused his trust so they could also make money off Guns N' Roses and Slash and the popular misconception that the two are still related. The fact that the head of the company admits to losing sleep over it, and probably shedding a tear or to over the betrayal speaks volumes as to his guilt.

To me, putting Slash on a GNR product is like putting George Clooney on a poster for The Dark Knight because you want Clooney fans to buy a ticket.

Slash plays on both WTJ and the Velvet Revolver song and had the GNR name till 1996 huge difference between your Clooney comparison because like it or not Guitar Hero featured Slash

Edited by ThinkAboutYou

If I remember correctly, Axl didn't have a problem with Slash being in guitar hero 3 or the use of VR songs. Since Axl owns the publishing rights of GNR songs, Activision could not use Welcome To The Jungle even if Activision and Slash wanted it. Axl said in an interview that Activision promised him Jungle was not being included in the game. They lied to Axl up to time the game was releashed. Axl has a case. You could say b/c Axl didn't want Slash associated with GNR or Jungle since he was no longer in the band. That could be part of it, but it was specifically that Activision did not have the authority (Axl's persmission) to use WTTJ. Since Slash was involved with the project, Axl did not want GNR music involved. That was his choice since he owns the name GNR and the publishing rights to the songs. Slash can play the songs live he chooses, but he has no power to publish them or allow others to publish them.

Nonetheless, it does make Axl look bad since public perception will be that he simply has a grudge against Slash. In response, Axl granted CD to the eventual Guitar Hero killer, Rock Band.

Edited by SALonghorn

This is a joke. Why not concentrate on more important things. Man Axl can be a petty chump sometimes.

No,its definately not a joke,nor is it without merit,and before anymore nasty little epithets are thrown,you might want to consider that No Doubt is ALSO suing Activision,for breaching their agreement as well.

And a third possible suit may be filed by Courtney Love and the remaing members of Nirvana are contemplating litigious action against Activision for breach of contract because they did authorize/license the image of Kurt to be used,but not in 80- some-odd songs in which he appears.

But I suppose that Gwen Stefani/No Doubt and Nirvana/courtney love are "bitter and petty,chumps" as well. <_<

The L.A. Times Article is posted below.

Pop & Hiss

THE L.A. TIMES MUSIC BLOG

« Previous Post | Pop & Hiss Home | Next Post » No Doubt sues Activision over Band Hero [updated] November 4, 2009 | 11:28 am

Rock band No Doubt has filed a real-world lawsuit over its virtual role in the just-released Band Hero edition of the Guitar Hero video game series, claiming that the game has “transformed No Doubt band members into a virtual karaoke circus act,” singing dozens of songs the group neither wrote, popularized nor approved for use in the game.

In a suit filed today in Los Angeles Superior Court, the band alleges that Santa Monica-based Activision, the maker of the game, has far exceeded the contractually approved use of likenesses, or avatars, of band members Gwen Stefani, Tony Kanal, Tom Dumont and Adrian Young.

[updated at 1:04 p.m.: “The band [members] are bitterly disappointed that their name and likeness was taken and used without their permission,” manager Jim Guerinot said today. “They agreed to play three No Doubt songs as a band.... Activision then went and put them in 62 other songs and broke the band up [and] never even asked.”]

[updated at 2:25 p.m.: In a statement issued this afternoon, the company said: “Activision believes it is within its legal rights with respect to the use and portrayal of the band members in the game and that this lawsuit is without merit.”]

The suit also charges that the game allows users to manipulate their characters to sing songs popularized by other pop music acts. No Doubt’s contract with Activision allowed the company to use the band’s music and likenesses in no more than three of the band’s own songs, the suit states. The game, which was released Tuesday, puts the group members’ images, collectively and individually, into more than 60 songs, “many of which include lyrics, contained in iconic songs, which are not appropriate for No Doubt and have not been and would not have been chosen by No Doubt for recordings or public performances.”

Specifically, the suit notes that through the game’s Character Manipulation Feature, Stefani’s image can be induced to sing the Rolling Stones’ “Honky Tonk Women.”

“While No Doubt are avid fans of the Rolling Stones and even have performed in concerts with the Rolling Stones,” the complaint states, “the Character Manipulation Feature results in an unauthorized performance by the Gwen Stefani avatar in a male voice boasting about having sex with prostitutes.”

It also states that bassist Kanal’s likeness can be manipulated to sing, in a female voice, one of No Doubt’s signature hits, “Just a Girl.”

“Activision has deceived and confused the public into believing that No Doubt authorized the use of its name and likeness for the Character Manipulation Feature of Band Hero and that No Doubt approves and endorses the appearance of its members individually performing songs that are wholly inappropriate and out of character for No Doubt,” according to the complaint.

[updated at 2:25 p.m.: “Some of the world’s most popular and iconic artists have been featured in Guitar Hero as playable characters, and we are proud to count No Doubt among them,” Activision’s statement said. “Activision has a written agreement to use No Doubt in Band Hero –an agreement signed by No Doubt after extensive negotiations with its representatives, who collectively have decades of experience in the entertainment industry. Pursuant to that agreement, Activision worked with No Doubt and the band’s management in developing Band Hero…. Activision is exploring its own legal options with respect to No Doubt’s obligations under the agreement.”]

The suit states that Activision executives withheld disclosure of the character manipulation feature, and refused the band’s request to remove or disable it in conjunction with the No Doubt avatars after the band learned how they were being used. The complaint says Activision officials told the band that doing so would be “too expensive.”

[updated at 1:04 p.m.: “Perhaps most disappointing is when Activision was made aware of the problem, rather than make a fix they admit was technically feasible, they made a business decision that both the time and money required to do the right thing were too much,” Guerinot said. “I guess they are developing the next level of the game: corporate Rock Hero.”]

The suit asks for unspecified actual and punitive damages, a temporary restraining order, a preliminary injunction and a permanent injunction against distribution of the game and for Activision to recall existing copies.

[updated at 1:40 p.m.: In September, after Nirvana leader Kurt Cobain’s likeness was used in Guitar Hero 5, his widow, Courtney Love, and former bandmates Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic complained that the game placed him in front of other bands singing their hits. In that instance, Activision said the company had received written permission from Love to use Cobain’s likeness as a fully playable character. She subsequently Twittered that she had “never signed [off] on the avatar.”]

-- Randy Lewis

Photo: No Doubt's Gwen Stefani. Credit: Ken Hively / Los Angeles Times

This is a joke. Why not concentrate on more important things. Man Axl can be a petty chump sometimes.

No,its definately not a joke,nor is it without merit,and before anymore nasty little epithets are thrown,you might want to consider that No Doubt is ALSO suing Activision,for breaching their agreement as well.

And a third possible suit may be filed by Courtney Love and the remaing members of Nirvana are contemplating litigious action against Activision for breach of contract because they did authorize/license the image of Kurt to be used,but not in 80- some-odd songs in which he appears.

But I suppose that Gwen Stefani/No Doubt and Nirvana/courtney love are "bitter and petty,chumps" as well. <_<

It is what it is. The truth is that Axl could sue Slash for causing Erin's miscarriage and it would still look bitter and petty because it's Axl Rose and everything he does is bitter and petty, especially when it comes to Slash. This reinforces that idea for a lot of people.

I'd rather Axl focus this energy on the next album, but what can you do? :shrugs:

It is what it is. The truth is that Axl could sue Slash for causing Erin's miscarriage and it would still look bitter and petty because it's Axl Rose and everything he does is bitter and petty, especially when it comes to Slash. This reinforces that idea for a lot of people.

I'd rather Axl focus this energy on the next album, but what can you do? :shrugs:

Maybe lawsuits find the next album

That may be a priority to you, but there is every reason and rationale to pursue this.

If you set a precedant of allowing people to continue on unrestrained and not held liable for breach of contract,you are giving the shitweasels of the world an open door to continue this type of snake oil chicanery.

The fact that Activision/Blizzard has more than one lawsuit pending says a great deal about their shady business practices.

It's not the money,it is the point of the entire deception, If people turn a blind eye to something they know to be wrong,then they are enabling it to continue.

That may be a priority to you, but there is every reason and rationale to pursue this.

If you set a precedant of allowing people to continue on unrestrained and not held liable for breach of contract,you are giving the shitweasels of the world an open door to continue this type of snake oil chicanery.

The fact that Activision/Blizzard has more than one lawsuit pending says a great deal about their shady business practices.

It's not the money,it is the point of the entire deception, If people turn a blind eye to something they know to be wrong,then they are enabling it to continue.

True. It's not like Axl can do worse in anybody's eyes (sadly).

I still think it's a waste of valuable time, though. It's true that what they did was wrong, but it's like jaywalking and illegal downloading; you know someone did something wrong, but it's not worth pursuing. Just don't associate with Activision and move on. 'Course I don't know exact details on the case, so maybe there's something really truly pressing other than Axl being lied to about Slash being featured on Guitar Hero. I just think people should choose their battles. It's not like people even care about Guitar Hero anymore.

Just my two cents, of course.

Activision may argue that all they did was use a cartoon character, created by their artists on the cover (of their video game)

They could argue that they never used a photograph of Slash.

Video games often use cartoon charaters in their games that look like various celebrities.

Didn't one of the GTA games feature a bandana wearing character ?

There was a case not so long ago where the lead singer of Deee Lite sued Sega for their character that looked and moved alot like her.

She lost the case and had to pay $600,000 in legal fees to Sega of America. Ouch! link

Edited by vaida

I just think it was misguided. Slash is a "guitar hero" for all intents and purposes, and he did play on jungle. Does appear they were lied to by Activision, though.

That's what the lawsuit is about. Not because Slash is playing on Jungle, but because Axl was told numerous times that Slash wasn't going to be associated with the song, but he was. Even though Slash did play in Jungle, and was a part of Guns N' Roses, Axl wanted to make sure people didn't make the mistake of thinking Slash is still associate with GN'R, because he's not.

Axl wanting Slash not to be associated with Welcome to the Jungle, is like wanting Jimi Hendrix not to be associated with Voodoo Chile.

What a douch bag! :D

I just think it was misguided. Slash is a "guitar hero" for all intents and purposes, and he did play on jungle. Does appear they were lied to by Activision, though.

That's what the lawsuit is about. Not because Slash is playing on Jungle, but because Axl was told numerous times that Slash wasn't going to be associated with the song, but he was. Even though Slash did play in Jungle, and was a part of Guns N' Roses, Axl wanted to make sure people didn't make the mistake of thinking Slash is still associate with GN'R, because he's not.

Axl wanting Slash not to be associated with Welcome to the Jungle, is like wanting Jimi Hendrix not to be associated with Voodoo Chile.

As I understand it, it's not like Axl was just putting his foot down on Slash; he didn't want any members because he didn't want to disrespect any incarnations of the band. I don't think it's all that ridiculous.

I still think it's a waste of valuable time, though. It's true that what they did was wrong, but it's like jaywalking and illegal downloading; you know someone did something wrong, but it's not worth pursuing. Just don't associate with Activision and move on. 'Course I don't know exact details on the case, so maybe there's something really truly pressing other than Axl being lied to about Slash being featured on Guitar Hero. I just think people should choose their battles. It's not like people even care about Guitar Hero anymore.

The situation is a bit more complex due to Vivendi being the Parent company to UMG,and owning Activision/Blizzard.

I also would contend that its not as trivial as Jaywalking,It's hardly a waste of time as it will be attorney vs. attorney.

You can download the lawsuit in a PDF file on the first post.

The situation is a bit more complex due to Vivendi being the Parent company to UMG,and owning Activision/Blizzard.

I also would contend that its not as trivial as Jaywalking,It's hardly a waste of time as it will be attorney vs. attorney.

Would it have any effect on future albums?

Would it have any effect on future albums?

It is a sticky clusterfuck,and Certainly explains the animosity toward UMG.

To top things off,the Guitar Hero guitar comes with Stickers.

One of them is the old Guns N' Roses logo,and that was way wrong to include that.

You make an unfair assumption, and then based on that unfair assumption, draw the unfair conclusion that Axl is a douchebag.

So maybe it is you in fact that is the douchebag?

Slash is not a member of Guns N' Roses anymore. He hasn't been for quite some time. Some people are still confused by this. It would seem quite logical that in an effort to not add to the confusion that GNR would not want to license their recordings to video games that feature new projects from ex-members.

Who the fuck are you to call Axl a douchebag for expecting Activision to honor their agreement?

Being upset by deliberate deception involving millions of dollars is not petty.

Unless those here accusing Axl of being petty happen to be billionaires. Is that the case?

Talking about douchebags, enter MSL.

Video Game Lawsuit Suggests Guns 'N Roses Reunion Won't Happen

A few weeks after Guns N' Roses gets inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Axl Rose might be in court explaining why he didn't want an image of Slash performing a GNR hit in a video game.

10:19 AM PST 12/23/2011 by Eriq Gardner

Getty Images

What are the chances that 2012 brings a Guns N' Roses reunion between Axl Rose and Slash?

The band was recently inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which has naturally led to

speculation about a possible reunion at a Cleveland ceremony next April. In an interview with the Los Angeles Times this past week, Rose said he still isn't keen on a reunion, but won't rule it out either, telling the paper that he knows it "means something" to the fans and that he wouldn't want to ruin the ceremony.

On the other hand, every time someone has tried to force a reunion, the GNR front-man has sued, from the since-settled lawsuit against former manager Irving Azoff for allegedly attempting to engineer a reconciliation to the pending $20 million legal action against Activision for bringing Slash back to GNR -- albeit in avatar form. That latter case is tentatively scheduled for a jury trial in May, just a few weeks after the band's induction in Cleveland.

In the lawsuit, Rose is alleging that Activision's use of the song "Welcome to the Jungle" in Guitar Hero III violated a deal not to use Slash in the popular game. GNR Music, which administers publishing rights to the band's songs, licensed Activision to use that big hit, but Rose claims that he was fraudulently induced into that agreement.

In a series of e-mails sent to Activision after a written synch license was executed, Rose's lawyers told Activision that Rose was withdrawing his approval because he was never told that Slash's image was going to be used as an "avatar." Activision went ahead with the game anyway.

If the case gets to trial, perhaps Rose will have another opportunity to explain to a jury in Los Angeles why the prospect of Slash-in-GNR is so unappealing. This time, to the tune of $20 million.

But will it get to trial?

The case involves ongoing legal controversy over the rights needed by companies putting out a product that features digital avatars of real-life personalities. In a pending motion for summary judgment, Activision points out that Rose's name and likeness do not appear anywhere in the game, although it could be argued that video game players would make that association anyway.

Nevertheless, Activision believes it has all the necessary rights in the form of a written synch license that contained no restrictions. The video game publisher asserts that e-mails sent by Rose's reps to the contrary before the game came out don't constitute a written contract between Activision and Rose.

Activision is also fighting other musicians in court on the issue of necessary rights for a music-themed video game.

We can't bring news about a Axl-Slash reunion, but we can exclusively report of a collaboration between Gwen Stefani and Maroon 5 singer Adam Levine.

Both singers allege they granted limited use on names and likenesses for Guitar Hero spinoff video game Band Hero, but that Activision took its permission slip too far by having their avatars sing, dance and perform other songs by other artists. The lawsuits have now been consolidated with a jury trial tentatively scheduled in Los Angeles for June. Let's hear it for teamwork.

E-mail: eriqgardner@yahoo.com

Twitter: @eriqgardner

If my argument was weak or faulty, you would attack my argument. The fact that you choose instead to attack me personally while ignoring my argument simply strengthens my position.

Your argument was fine, but you calling someone a douchebag is laughable. :rolleyes:

If my argument was weak or faulty, you would attack my argument. The fact that you choose instead to attack me personally while ignoring my argument simply strengthens my position.

I don't even know what you wrote. I'm just simply outlining that you are a douchebag.

Figure A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7HCI77Gtnw

You make an unfair assumption, and then based on that unfair assumption, draw the unfair conclusion that Axl is a douchebag.

So maybe it is you in fact that is the douchebag?

Slash is not a member of Guns N' Roses anymore. He hasn't been for quite some time. Some people are still confused by this. It would seem quite logical that in an effort to not add to the confusion that GNR would not want to license their recordings to video games that feature new projects from ex-members.

Who the fuck are you to call Axl a douchebag for expecting Activision to honor their agreement?

Being upset by deliberate deception involving millions of dollars is not petty.

Unless those here accusing Axl of being petty happen to be billionaires. Is that the case?

Remember when you stole GNR's property and tried to use it to extort them?

Take your self-righteous indignation and shove it up your ass.