What hell is wrong with his voice ?

realpoti

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing went amiss between 2010 and 2011. The main difference I see his increased use of his falsetto, as opposed to straining his chest voice.

Ali

*sigh* its not the falsetto. Read my post again, I'm talking about his mid range where he sometimes (sadly) sounds like a dude going through puberty not his high pitch voice where it is clean and could be said to be a falsetto. Axl's voice has always been reliant blending his chest voice with his head voice but if you listen to his mid-range (which requires a chest voice) from last night's show it goes all over the place. He obviously tries to push out his chest voice (thus you can sometimes hear unexpected modulations in his voice) but it doesn't seem to be coming out right. Obviously something is up.

If you want to object this, fine.

:rolleyes:

Jesus Christ. Do you know what part of his range he struggles with the most? I think it's the break between his head and chest voice. As with most singers. I dont think he blends as well as he could or as you make it out to be.

Of course he pushes his chest voice. That's part of why he had so many vocal problems in the early 90's.

Ali

Yet another overly dramatic post. THAT'S annoying.

Nothing went amiss between 2010 and 2011. The main difference I see his increased use of his falsetto, as opposed to straining his chest voice.

Ali

Go listen to the show again. It's easily noticeable in Don't Cry, Axl doesn't sing in falsetto, he straight up loses his voice for a good chunk of the song. And that happened several times over.

2010 was overrated...lol

...unlike 2012 when people should give him props like you do for sounding like a dying old man.

:violin:

Yeah, it was. And, I never said last night was his best performance. Just not this "he should retire/the sky is falling" kind of performance drama queens here are making it out to be. RQ was not great last night, but CD was good.

This is kinda like post-RIR 2011 to a lesser extent.

Ali

Ali

*sigh* its not the falsetto. Read my post again, I'm talking about his mid range where he sometimes (sadly) sounds like a dude going through puberty not his high pitch voice where it is clean and could be said to be a falsetto. Axl's voice has always been reliant blending his chest voice with his head voice but if you listen to his mid-range (which requires a chest voice) from last night's show it goes all over the place. He obviously tries to push out his chest voice (thus you can sometimes hear unexpected modulations in his voice) but it doesn't seem to be coming out right. Obviously something is up.

Jesus Christ. Do you know what part of his range he struggles with the most? I think it's the break between his head and chest voice. As with most singers. I dont think he blends as well as he could or as you make it out to be.

Of course he pushes his chest voice. That's part of why he had so many vocal problems in the early 90's.

Ali

Yes he pushes his chest voice (as you are supposed to) but his voice is failing thus leaving a hollow sound in it wake. Yes, he struggles with the break between his head and chest voice but he used to blend it well because that is what gives rise to the dual tonality and "rasp" in his voice, its what made his voice so fucking unique.

I honestly don't know if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me here... :shrugs:

I suggest we pull up video clips at this point and give a "blow-by-blow" account (so to speak) of what we think we hear at this point. (not just now though, I have deadlines...)

Edited by KiraMPD

Yet another overly dramatic post. THAT'S annoying.

Ali

Go listen to the show again. It's easily noticeable in Don't Cry, Axl doesn't sing in falsetto, he straight up loses his voice for a good chunk of the song. And that happened several times over.

I was speaking generally. Yes, I noticed that. And he recovered afterwards. His voice breaks a lot as he approaches the area around the break in his voice.

Not that he was in that case, but again, generally speaking.

Ali

Edited by Ali

Nothing is wrong with his voice. He sounds fantastic. Better than 1988 and 2010 combined. Better than ever. Axl is immaculate, perfect. There is nothing to criticise. Everyone who complains about paying 250,- dollars to hear Micky Mouse making the ever same setlist sounding a bit worse with every show just HATES the band and must be ignored or banned immediately. Real fans don't citicise their favourite band, they swallow everything. If Axl ever decides to PISS on the people in the first row, that could only be considered ART and it's your own fucking problem if you don't get it. Get it? Now bend over bitches, Mickey Mouse is gonna fuck you in the jungle baby! For 250,- dollars you can get the real thing up close and personal: The one and only Mr. Chubby McSloppy & The Guys Who Aren't Buckethead, performing your favourite AC/DC tunes for ya.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Fuck off you stupid twats who can't deal with people discussing the singer's voice. It's not bashing or bitching. To the idiotic spunk buckets who keep saying 'he's 50 give him a break': he was 48 a year and a half ago when he sounded almost as good as ever so don't tell us there's nothing to discuss! Fucking shit for brains turdmouths. "

I couldn't agree with you anymore.

Why couldn't you agree anymore? What happened?

OMG!!!! SO FREAKING FUNNAY!!!!!!!!!!! :D xoxoxo

1i don't get it point of this topic even that postman is stupid dickhead...Since 1993 we didn't have anything from Guns.Now we have close and personal tour with Euro stadium and arena dates.We have live streams and stuff which we could drreamed before couple years.And stupid dickhead made this thread on gnr fan forum.

I don't for one second buy into him holding back or self preserving... I think one of the great things about Axl is that in terms of performance he either gives 100% or nothing at all. I honestly believe that there is some underlying infection/illness causing his vocals to be off and it seems to be affecting his mid-range register mostly, he can still do the screams and the howls reasonably well if a little forced, and the lower register stuff sounds good but his mid-range voice seems to be out of control at times and not in a good way!

Its this range here that is gone...

Edited by irishguns

I saw GnR twice back in 2006. haven't seen them live since then, but his vocals in '06 were fucking brilliant. He was on form.

I've watched several pro-shot and amateur vids of GnR from 2011 and 2012 and his voice is shot to pieces. I don't think he has lost it - if he could do it in 2006 and 2010 there's no reason why he can't do it in 2011 and 2012 - but it's pretty clear that there is something wrong at the moment.

Check out these pro-shot vids from the Download Festival in 2006 - which I was at! IZZY was there, Sebastian Bach made an appearance, great gig, blazing hot day, great vocals. Hopefully he can get back to this:

Nightrain:

My Michelle (with Sebastian Bach):

...and Paradise City (from Download Festival 2006):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSOG3cdXC-g&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLE7A0D708E163D7BD

Edited by Original GNR

Fuck off you stupid twats who can't deal with people discussing the singer's voice. It's not bashing or bitching. To the idiotic spunk buckets who keep saying 'he's 50 give him a break': he was 48 a year and a half ago when he sounded almost as good as ever so don't tell us there's nothing to discuss! Fucking shit for brains turdmouths.

It seems pretty obvious by this point that it's deliberate i.e. he chooses how he's gonna sing each tour.

2002: Deliberately very clean.

2006: Seemingly taking the massive criticsim of 2002 to heart, came straight out of the gate with a lot more power, ripping Twat at Hammerstein; amazing vocals at the Forum, very old skool Axl.

2007: getting stronger all the time until he was just shredding and screeching and wailing all over Japan like a demon.

2009: Really screwed the pooch on the warm-up shows, back to 2002 form.

2010: Felt compelled to bring his vocals up to literally early-90s level, except with arguably more control and range than ever. Staggering performances at Toronto, Lille and London with barely a weak moment all night. Made the studio vocal of This I Love sound like a crap demo. Best performances of every song, particularly Jungle and YCBM of the new era. Amazing.

2011: Obviously very inclined not to repeat his vocal acrobatics from 2010.

2012: Well....

One of the most frustrating things to me is that almost every single time there's been a high profile televised, streamed, pro-shot etc show or even anything we've blagged the soundboard of, he nearly always screws the pooch. Rock Am Ring was a really rare exception: why couldn't he have killed it like that at all the Rios, MTV 2002 etc.

This is exactly how I feel. Let me just say one very important thing:

Age has nothing to do with his vocal technique right now.

Just a tip for a few of you:

If you are already pissed off at the title of the post then don't enter the discussion. Yes, we know they didn't do tour forever blah, blah - why make an album as long as they are active(?) - blah, blah - we should all just be happy and just praise him - blah, blah.

You know you are in the GNR "Discussion" forum, right?

1i don't get it point of this topic even that postman is stupid dickhead...Since 1993 we didn't have anything from Guns.Now we have close and personal tour with Euro stadium and arena dates.We have live streams and stuff which we could drreamed before couple years.And stupid dickhead made this thread on gnr fan forum.

efe51ff4abc478f7e19a69087395a58f.jpg

People are kicking off saying that we're whining over there being more content than ever (Livestreams and all that)....that is COMPLETELY not the issue.

His voice is completely shot and he needs to do something about it. This content could be so much more than it is. - That's more the issue.

Edited by SMG

Ali

Ali

Yes he pushes his chest voice (as you are supposed to) but his voice is failing thus leaving a hollow sound in it wake. Yes, he struggles with the break between his head and chest voice but he used to blend it well because that is what gives rise to the dual tonality and "rasp" in his voice, its what made his voice so fucking unique.

I honestly don't know if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me here... :shrugs:

I suggest we pull up video clips at this point and give a "blow-by-blow" account (so to speak) of what we think we hear at this point. (not just now though, I have deadlines...)

I agree with some of what you said, but I think you give him far too much credit for blending well. If that were the case, I don't think he would've had some of the issues he did in the 90's. I think you're being overly dramatic about his voice changing as I saw him in December this past year and he sounded great. Yes, you're supposed to push your chest voice, but not like he has historically.

Ali

Does physical form not affect the voice at all?

At Rock in Rio it was clear that Axl had not taken care of him at all or rehearsed with the band since the end of the 2010 tour.

Heck, didn't one of the band members say he hadn't even seen the man for almost a year?

I'm pretty sure Axl has lost some 10 pounds since Rock in Rio and at least he sounds marginally better.

Some of you drama queens on here are pathetic.

I saw GnR in 2011 and Axls voice was amazing. One of the top three shows I've ever seen.

But yes. Those judging by YouTube and live streams know best. And they show their intelligence level with their posts on here. It is 1% conversation on Axl's voice and 99% cursing and insulting those who went to a show and enjoyed it.

I saw GnR in 2011 and Axls voice was amazing. One of the top three shows I've ever seen.

But yes. Those judging by YouTube and live streams know best. And they show their intelligence level with their posts on here. It is 1% conversation on Axl's voice and 99% cursing and insulting those who went to a show and enjoyed it.

Where'd you get that percentage from? :lol:

The people there enjoyed the show, and that's really important (the most important). However, I think we can still be concerned about Axl's voice. Especially when we know he's done better. I mean, his voice is one of the reasons everybody here follows GN'R.

This thread is better than "Axl's Deformed Finger."

Agreed all around. Axl sounded great in December when I saw him.

Ali

To be honest though the videos probably give a more true reflection of his voice, especially the live streams where we get a true indication of his voice.

As someone else said, his voice is rather unstable in certain parts of his range. As someone else also said, its not that I have a problem with clean voice, I have a problem with when its piss weak at the same time, thats when we get the "Micky voice"...a pure strong Falsetto tone, especially on songs such as Don't Cry, etc sounds freaking great. However that tone on YCBM sounds poor.

Axl can still whack out those great notes, but as someone else said I think he struggles on the mid range. Madie for example sounded a little deeper than it was say in 2010, but he is still using that 09-10 voice...I do wonder whether he now thinks that if he kept on with those sorts of vocals his range would be all but shot to pieces by say 2013-2014...not good if you want to keep going for another decade!

I'm sure he could rasp more, but I don't think he can rasp 100% like he did in 2010 and now that he is doing 3hr sets it would be unwise for him to whack it all out when his voice isn't 100% right.

"2010: Felt compelled to bring his vocals up to literally early-90s level, except with arguably more control and range than ever. Staggering performances at Toronto, Lille and London with barely a weak moment all night. Made the studio vocal of This I Love sound like a crap demo. Best performances of every song, particularly Jungle and YCBM of the new era. Amazing."

This.

Go watch: November Rain from Copps Coliseum, Hamilton. Arguably the best New Era version ever.

- Rocket Queen from Toronto and Prague 2010, maybe Bucharest as well. Paradise City from Bucharest 2010 sounded really strong to me.

- This I Love from Arnhem, Netherlands and Prague.

- YCBM and Nice Boys from the London shows.

2010 was really good.

Edited by AppetiteForGnR