Who actually controls the licensing/approval for the use of Guns' songs?

saber_

Last night I was watching the Malaysian grand prix (on the UK's Sky network) and during one of the pre-race flashy montages, they played a hefty chunk of Paradise City. The song certainly was in stark contrast to the other music the Sky channel played during other montages. Made me smile.

It got me wondering, who actually allows/approves the use of Guns' music for such things? Who signs off on it, in other words? Forgive my ignorance, I truly am just naively curious about how these sorts of things work.

Last night I was watching the Malaysian grand prix (on the UK's Sky network) and during one of the pre-race flashy montages, they played a hefty chunk of Paradise City. The song certainly was in stark contrast to the other music the Sky channel played during other montages. Made me smile.

It got me wondering, who actually allows/approves the use of Guns' music for such things? Who signs off on it, in other words? Forgive my ignorance, I truly am just naively curious about how these sorts of things work.

Ultimately I believe Axl owns the majority so it's his decision - although he would have to share the royalties w/ the guys w/ song writing credits. I also believe I read in the guitar hero lawsuit it was claimed Axl has final say on any commercial use of the GnR catalog

I believe the networks usually pay an anuall blanket fee to , in this case , ASCAP .

three kinds of rights enter into this ... songwriting, the the recorded performance and synchronization rights for film, tv.

axl does have say in commercial use of the material. (I'm not wording this right, but that's the gist).

Yea everyone gets paid who has writing credits with ASCAP from many different streams. In this case, television. As far asorg, o when they pay their blanket fee every year to the publishing company, the networks have a large amount of songs to choose from that are registered with ASCAP.

If it was in a movie, for instance, there will be many copies made and the licensing is different because it is " sold" many times.... Or sumpin like that.

Tv shows that are live/ don't rerun epsiodes only pay a per airing fee. Meaning if the show is live like sports programs, they just pay a small sum fee. If that broadcast is replayed (which they usually aren't) Then they have to pay that same fee a 2nd time. Shows that are in regular syndication and rerun the same episodes for years (sitcoms, dramas) have to pay a lump sum to use the song but can then air that episode with that song as many times as they want. Sometimes a small fee is payed for each rerun.

A sporting event usually pays like $1000 to use a song each time. But a sitcom pays 200k for a song (depending on the artist that is)

If they release a DVD of the sitcom with the song in it, the artist has to be compinsated again cause the show is reaching another level. (Most songs are negoitated nowadays to include DVD release since every show pretty much gets a DVD.)

I read a few years ago that Alter Bridge was payed $250k up front to use their song for Edge's theme music when he would come out to the ring. They would also receive $500 for each time it was played on tv and 20% of the money their song made when WWE would license it to itunes or on a disc.

To recap shows like Letterman/Leno and sports programs pay a small fee to play songs as you'll never see that episode again after a short time has past. I know on leno you see old episodes from the past few weeks when he is on vacation but that's the only time you see reruns. But commercials and Shows like The Simpsons have to pay a huge fee cause they will have reruns/DVD sales with the song included so the artist is compensated a portion of what they think is fair compared to what the episode generates in revenue for the show

That is why most period shows such as That 70's Show rarely play music from the period because it is so expensive. Freaks and Geeks barely lasted a season because they have several period music played per episode which was really racking up the bills. Must have cost them millions.

That is why most period shows such as That 70's Show rarely play music from the period because it is so expensive. Freaks and Geeks barely lasted a season because they have several period music played per episode which was really racking up the bills. Must have cost them millions.

I love Freaks and Geeks. I wish it lasted longer than one season.

I love Freaks and Geeks. I wish it lasted longer than one season.

Me too, but it wracked up a lot of bills, so much they originally aired without the music but more generic period music. I think Nickoldean paid the bill so they can air it on their night spot.

Yea everyone gets paid who has writing credits with ASCAP from many different streams. In this case, television. As far asorg, o when they pay their blanket fee every year to the publishing company, the networks have a large amount of songs to choose from that are registered with ASCAP.

If it was in a movie, for instance, there will be many copies made and the licensing is different because it is " sold" many times.... Or sumpin like that.

Well, the main difference would be that you would need a sync license if you wanted to put a song in a film. That is more complicated (and more expensive).

The interesting thing to me is that Slash and Axl were able to block GNR songs from being used for "Glee". Universal would've rubber stamped it. Axl obviously has control over the mechanical rights, because he gave Mickey Rourke (on behalf of Aronofsky) the rights to use GNR music in "The Wrestler". I'm sure GNR got a huge chunk of change for "Megamind" though.

Shout! Factory bought the rights, plus Judd Apatow's made ridiculous amounts of money.

Apparently Axl donated SCOM to the pretentious D bag director of Wrestler.

He may be pretentious, but Pi is still one of the most creative, impressive low-budget movies I've ever seen.

On topic: thank you all for the responses. Very interesting read. I'm sorta proud that some oldbies with low post counts showed up too (not taking anything away from more recent members, I just am a messageboard nerd, so register dates carry extra meaning, lol)

Dalsh -

Glee would not be using the master recording, so UMG would have nothing to do with it. What they would need though is a sync license from the publisher. I think you may be confused about some of the terms. Mechanicals refer to automatic royalties generated by the sale of a song that must be paid to the publisher of the song. The rate is set by statute. But yes, Axl must have control over the publishing rights since he chose to grant The Wrestler a sync license for what I assume was much less than would be typically asked for.

Was talking just about the publishing, I know "Glee" is covering the songs - Black Frog is part of Universal's publishing arm (basing it on what I saw on ASCAP). But it sounded to me like Axl and Slash had to mutually agree on the show not using the songs, otherwise UMG would've rubber stamped it through. Interesting thing about "The Wrestler" wasn't just Mickey going to Axl, but Slash doing the instrumentals to the movie. But when it comes to something like "Megamind" or another big budget movie, does Axl have the ultimate say in a song being used in a movie, or does he still have to run it by Slash, Duff, Steven and Izzy's publishing rep?

Apparently Axl donated SCOM to the pretentious D bag director of Wrestler.

He may be pretentious, but Pi is still one of the most creative, impressive low-budget movies I've ever seen.

On topic: thank you all for the responses. Very interesting read. I'm sorta proud that some oldbies with low post counts showed up too (not taking anything away from more recent members, I just am a messageboard nerd, so register dates carry extra meaning, lol)

Probably his best film too.

And you are welcome.