Tommy and Freese 98'

gunnerpr

538762_10150914160692571_775362570_12684455_1291365410_n.jpg

From Freese Facebook:

"A young Tommy Stinson and I in the studio working with Axl in 1998. Robin Finck made these balloon hats for us and sometimes when things got really crazy we'd order a pizza or something (now you know why 'Chinese Democracy' took so long to make.)"

538762_10150914160692571_775362570_12684455_1291365410_n.jpg

From Freese Facebook:

"A young Tommy Stinson and I in the studio working with Axl in 1998. Robin Finck made these balloon hats for us and sometimes when things got really crazy we'd order a pizza or something (now you know why 'Chinese Democracy' took so long to make.)"

Wow, that era is so raveled in mystique, nice to see some proof that something was going on at the time.

Gotta say I often wonder what the "Rose/Finck/Huge/Stinson/Freese/Reed/Pitman" version of CD sounded like. If "Oh My God" was any indication- it would have been quite a dark/industrial sounding record. I think the few folks lucky enough to hear it thought it was an awesome contemporary record (not sure how much of the vocals were done though). I'd also love to hear the "re-recorded" AFD that line-up allegedly did too...

Anyway I LOVE how CD ultimately turned out and Bucket, Brain and Bumble all made great later additions- BUT I always wonder what would have happened commercially if CD had been released in its '99 form with that initial "new" line-up right around the time of the SPIN feature on Axl...

Gotta say I often wonder what the "Rose/Finck/Huge/Stinson/Freese/Reed/Pitman" version of CD sounded like. If "Oh My God" was any indication- it would have been quite a dark/industrial sounding record. I think the few folks lucky enough to hear it thought it was an awesome contemporary record (not sure how much of the vocals were done though). I'd also love to hear the "re-recorded" AFD that line-up allegedly did too...

Anyway I LOVE how CD ultimately turned out and Bucket, Brain and Bumble all made great later additions- BUT I always wonder what would have happened commercially if CD had been released in its '99 form with that initial "new" line-up right around the time of the SPIN feature on Axl...

I think if CD was released in 99 it would have been way more popular, rock was more popular the, and it probably wouldn't have been as edited as it is now.

AWESOME pic. I'd kill for a documentary or a Finck/Freese/Stinson/Pitman/Reed/Tobias biography that at least described what it was all like.

+1 :thumbsup: I would love to have a doc showing everything: from the late 90's to the release of CD.

I think if CD was released in 99 it would have been way more popular, rock was more popular the, and it probably wouldn't have been as edited as it is now.

Agreed. Especially if it had the Led Zeppelin meets NIN sound that people working on the album at the time claimed it had. Industrial rock was huge, NIN was huge, and GNR were riding a surge in popularity thanks to the Live Era album that was released in '99.

I would like to hear the album as it was originally recorded. I've always liked the CD demos and live cuts more than the actual album.

Yeah- just seems like it might have been the "right" time for it to come out. I remember friends of mine who were more into grunge/alternative giving me crap for being a GN'R fan and about the break-up of the band, etc.- BUT when I mentioned that Axl had recruited the NIN lead guitarist (Finck), Tommy Stinson and Josh Freese into the band they were really fucking impressed- and kind of seemed willing to give it a shot (they didnt like Axl- but they all at least acknowledged that he was a bona fide rock star/accomplished musician). Anyway- I really respect Bucket and Brain- but it seems to me that when they came in (followed by Fortus the next year or so) and Finck/Freese left the whole thing came to be viewed as a "revolving door" and an industry joke of sorts...

Whatever the case- I don't blame Axl all that much. Although-creatively and public interest-wise it may have been the best time for CD (or 2000 Intentions or whatever) to come out- I wouldn't be surprised at all if legally (e.g. band name, trademarks, Robin re-joining NIN, old law-suits, etc.) it was a terrible time for it to come out...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

Agreed. Especially if it had the Led Zeppelin meets NIN sound that people working on the album at the time claimed it had. Industrial rock was huge, NIN was huge, and GNR were riding a surge in popularity thanks to the Live Era album that was released in '99.

I would like to hear the album as it was originally recorded. I've always liked the CD demos and live cuts more than the actual album.

Yeah- just seems like it might have been the "right" time for it to come out. I remember friends of mine who were more into grunge/alternative giving me crap for being a GN'R fan and about the break-up of the band, etc.- BUT when I mentioned that Axl had recruited the NIN lead guitarist (Finck), Tommy Stinson and Josh Freese into the band they were really fucking impressed- and kind of seemed willing to give it a shot (they didnt like Axl- but they all at least acknowledged that he was a bona fide rock star/accomplished musician). Anyway- I really respect Bucket and Brain- but it seems to me that when they came in (followed by Fortus the next year or so) and Finck/Freese left the whole thing came to be viewed as a "revolving door" and an industry joke of sorts...

Whatever the case- I don't blame Axl all that much. Although-creatively and public interest-wise it may have been the best time for CD (or 2000 Intentions or whatever) to come out- I wouldn't be surprised at all if legally (e.g. band name, trademarks, Robin re-joining NIN, old law-suits, etc.) it was a terrible time for it to come out...

yeah i agree in 1999 guns n roses was still fresh in everyones minds just 3 years after slash left if they would have released CD then it would have blown up but to release the album 12 years after guns n roses wasnt on anybodys radar anymore, and the music industry has changed a bunch

I still think Chidem does have the Led Zeppelin meets NIN meets Queen feel to it. Songs like IRS, Riad and Shacklers lean more toward the Zeppelin and NIN route while SOD, Catcher and TWAT is leaning more towards the Queen/Beatles. I do not think Chidem or 2000 Intentions was ever going to be strictly industrial like many people think.

I totally agree with this, in the sense that i want to hear ever little bit that was ever conceived in the CD era and really forward. While I like Axl's idea of letting people who are currently in the band put their touch on a song, I also wish he just didn't touch certain things for final release, like really should you ever remove anything Bucket does on guitar? who would be more classified than him? But regardless this wouldn't be a problem to me if they just release all the different versions or what not. Think about what all they could do with all this material of alternate versions/mixes?