Did Slash contribute to any of the songs on CD

californiaz06

Well This I Love was writen in 94 I think so maybe

thanks for the reply, actually this was the exact song that got me thinking because I swear when I hear the solo I think Slash. Im not the first person to say this obv and many others have said it but I wasn't sure.

http://www.legendaryrockinterviews.com/2012/04/22/legendary-rock-interview-with-guns-n-roses-insider-and-author-marc-canter/

It’s similar to the situation with Chinese Democracy. It was pretty much finished in 2002. The day after Rock In Rio 2001 Axl and I were at the pool and he mentioned that there was a possibility that Slash could have played on a few tracks for Chinese Democracy if he were willing to apologize in the press for the things that he said about Axl publicly. Axl was cracking the door open and saying to me “If Slash apologizes publicly for the things he said about me in the press I have three songs that he could play on the new album”.

I mean back in '96 or whatever, does anyone know if any of the current songs on CD were being worked on while Slash was still with the band? Possibly TWAT?

I know Paul worked on some of the songs in the late 90s early 00's. Just a curious question.

This I Love was believed to have been written in 1994 but Slash did not make any writing contributions that we know of. Actual writing for Chinese Democracy did not begin until late 1998 when Slash was long out of the band.

Here's an article that should help answer your question further

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/top-posts/the-chinese-democracy-years-1994-2008/

I mean back in '96 or whatever, does anyone know if any of the current songs on CD were being worked on while Slash was still with the band? Possibly TWAT?

I know Paul worked on some of the songs in the late 90s early 00's. Just a curious question.

This I Love was believed to have been written in 1994 but Slash did not make any writing contributions that we know of. Actual writing for Chinese Democracy did not begin until late 1998 when Slash was long out of the band.

Here's an article that should help answer your question further

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/top-posts/the-chinese-democracy-years-1994-2008/

that link is perfect, exactly what I was looking for thanks

Axl writes the music and has these tunes in his head, now and always has been that way,

Slash plays what Axl hears, thats the way it worked.

he's a hired gun, possibly the second greatest lead of all time, but a hired gun nonetheless.

thats why Slash's legacy since has been Snakepit, VR and guys like this Myles character all of whos best work is GNR covers.

If what you're asking is did Slash have anything to do with the songs on Chinese Democracy,

highly if not completely unlikely

imo

Edited by shades

No, I don't think Slash had any input whatsoever on anything on CD. I think the closest Axl and Slash came to making music together post Sympathy For The Devil, was the Slashs' Snakepit album, which Slash recommended to Axl before releasing it under his own name, which Axl of course declined on. Other than that, that's when it started to seriously fall apart, and I doubt if they seen much of each other after that incident to be honest.

Axl writes the music and has these tunes in his head, now and always has been that way,

he's a hired gun, possibly the second greatest lead of all time, but a hired gun nonetheless.

thats why Slash's legacy since has been Snakepit, VR and guys like this Myles character all of whos best work is GNR covers.

If what you're asking is did Slash have anything to do with the songs on Chinese Democracy,

imo

Yes, and Slash would climb into Axl's head so that he could hear what Axl was hearing. Then he laid out the track as Axl was hearing it.

Jesus, give the guy some credit. Your account comes across as very one-sided. Also, you might disagree, but Slash's material post-GN'R is hardly all lousy. I think if people were being honest they'd acknowledge that it varies in quality, just like any other artist's output. And yeah, it isn't of the caliber that his GN'R stuff was (sometimes it's not far off though). But again, that's how it goes for most bands...they generally reach their peak at a young age and can't quite achieve that level again. The successful ones come close.

imo

Slash's work is no worse than anything on CD, I'd argue its quite a bit better.

Appetite would like a work with you, sorry but the majority of the MUSIC was written by Duff, Slash, and Izzy. Axl was great with the lyrics and vocals, but the other guys handled the music as they were actually playing the instruments that Axl couldnt. There are exceptions, yes, but Axl sure as hell didnt write all the music like you're claiming. Stop rewriting history and give the other guys their due credit. GNR was about 5 guys, not about Axl. He wouldn't have made it big without them.

Edited by cliffburton