Hey Marc, do you avoid saying critical things about Axl?

From the posts I've read you seem to support Axl's side a lot more than Slash's. I'll admit that from my perspective I don't see Axl as essential to Guns N' Roses and am much more of Slash fan.

I defend them both. Axl is the one that gets blamed for more stuff, so I end up defending him more. I found my self defending Slash more on the other forum which I don't go to anymore. I still don't know why people bash either one of them. It seams like the fans find away to blame Axl or Slash for the that fact that they have differences of option on a big number of things. They gave you 10 years and lots of great music. Now they do what they want to do and don't have to answer to each other about it. Yes it's a mess but, maybe one day in time things won't be so bad between them and more things can get done.

Edited by recklessroad

Marc is trying to mend fences with Axl... ;)

If I was trying to do that the best way would not to say anything at all. Axl does not like anyone he knows to talk about any of this stuff. If he wanted to talk about it, you would see him talking. I can't sit back and watch people talk shit about the people that I care about. Also as soon as I have anything good to say about Slash, it destroys anything good i've said about Axl. As far as Axl's concerned i've betrayed him by putting out anything to do with the old band. He also thinks I said bad things about him in interviews. He misunderstands things I say because he inter-pits things differently. If Axl never finds away to workout the bad blood he has with Slash he will probably never talk to me again. I know that I am doing the right thing. I have always been in the middle on this and he doesn't like me riding the fence between them, I think about Axl everyday and wish things were better for him.

That's sad that Axl would be willing to allow your friendship to fall by the way-side over you seeing things objectively regarding both sides. It must be difficult for you to have to defend both of them. I hope you and Axl can work it out.

From the posts I've read you seem to support Axl's side a lot more than Slash's. I'll admit that from my perspective I don't see Axl as essential to Guns N' Roses and am much more of Slash fan.

I defend them both. Axl is the one that gets blamed for more stuff, so I end up defending him more. I found my self defending Slash more on the other forum which I don't go to anymore. I still don't know why people bash either one of them. It seams like the fans find away to blame Axl or Slash for the that fact that they have differences of option on a big number of things. They gave you 10 years and lots of great music. Now they do what they want to do and don't have to answer to each other about it. Yes it's a mess but, maybe one day in time things won't be so bad between them and more things can get done.

I think at some point in they'll wind up talking again. If either of them is waiting for the apology to happen, then it'll never happen. When two people feel they're right about something, as far as they're concerned, there's nothing to apologize for. To me, Axl avoids Slash because he thinks Slash has an agenda, the way he had said about Adler blabbing to the media.

I think the night Slash stopped over Axl's, he thought Slash had an agenda, the same way someone going through an ugly divorce shouldn't talk to their ex without a lawyer present, because there's a lot at stake at the time. Now there's nothing at stake except a video game company that screwed up the deal they made with Axl.

The only people who win out in the courtroom are lawyers, I'm sure they're living very comfortably off of GNR's hard work, but it sucks when artists become litigious and want to sue everyone's asses over all sorts of crap. You prob. have had a few customers sue the restaurant over some really lame, maybe even imaginary, reasons, plus the typical late night drunk fighting that goes on when the clubs close.

That's sad that Axl would be willing to allow your friendship to fall by the way-side over you seeing things objectively regarding both sides. It must be difficult for you to have to defend both of them. I hope you and Axl can work it out.

Its also painful for Axl because I know he really cars about me. Because he cares about me is why he is so hurt. He can't understand why I would have anything to do with Slash, being that Slash has caused him so much pain. Its just the way he sees it. It is not difficult for me to defend both because they are my close friends with a lot of good history. Just because they have their differences does not mean that I can't support both of them. Especially when I know that most of their differences can be worked out with proper counseling. I have to do what I believe is right.

Thanks again Marc for coming on here and doing this. As far as I know Marc is the only person on these Forums who is friends with/has a personal relationship with Axl and Slash. The "fans" that come on here and take sides are just goofy. None of us (as fans) will ever truly know what went down. I think the people on here who bash Slash to no end are hoping that someone from the GnR camp will notice them and give them backstage passes. I am a huge fan of GnR in all forms, I see no need as fans to bash one side or the other. We get GnR on tour as well as music/shows from Slash,Duff,Izzy, Steven and most of the other 17 or so guys who have been in GnR throughout the years.

If I was trying to do that the best way would not to say anything at all. Axl does not like anyone he knows to talk about any of this stuff. If he wanted to talk about it, you would see him talking. I can't sit back and watch people talk shit about the people that I care about. Also as soon as I have anything good to say about Slash, it destroys anything good i've said about Axl. As far as Axl's concerned i've betrayed him by putting out anything to do with the old band. He also thinks I said bad things about him in interviews. He misunderstands things I say because he inter-pits things differently. If Axl never finds away to workout the bad blood he has with Slash he will probably never talk to me again. I know that I am doing the right thing. I have always been in the middle on this and he doesn't like me riding the fence between them, I think about Axl everyday and wish things were better for him.

Hey Marc, thank you so much for putting together Reckless Road - it really is a joy to read! Also, thanks for posting here. It's nice to read something interesting for a change rather than the usual bullshit that goes around.

In reply to this answer, I was just wondering if you knew the reason why Axl still uses the GNR name if it hurts him to see something like Reckless Road being released? Obviously, it's his right to use the name but I would've thought that using another band name would be easier as the old members wouldn't be referenced all the time. In my opinion, if he'd have released ChiDem under his own name then I don't think he would've got so much shit from everyone. That way, ChiDem would be a separate entity and not part of the GNR canon, therefore eliminating any talk of Slash etc. and leaving the past where it belongs. Plus, there's no stopping him from playing the old songs under his own name - John Fogerty has had a successful solo career and he still plays CCR songs.

Its also painful for Axl because I know he really cars about me. Because he cares about me is why he is so hurt. He can't understand why I would have anything to do with Slash, being that Slash has caused him so much pain. Its just the way he sees it. It is not difficult for me to defend both because they are my close friends with a lot of good history. Just because they have their differences does not mean that I can't support both of them. Especially when I know that most of their differences can be worked out with proper counseling. I have to do what I believe is right.

I hope you get the friendship back Marc

being that Slash has caused him so much pain.

Really? Like what? I can't think of anything other than Slash leaving the band and possibly trying to retain any Financial stake he had left in the band.

That couldn't be because you weren't there and have no idea what happened could it?

Hey Marc you mentioned on t he other forum you wanted to do a box set of your audio and video tapes for the fans but things needed to be worked out first....sounds like Axl is holding this back?

Really? Like what? I can't think of anything other than Slash leaving the band and possibly trying to retain any Financial stake he had left in the band.

That couldn't be because you weren't there and have no idea what happened could it?

Not the section for this guys,take it to Attitude.

Hey Marc, thank you so much for putting together Reckless Road - it really is a joy to read! Also, thanks for posting here. It's nice to read something interesting for a change rather than the usual bullshit that goes around.

In reply to this answer, I was just wondering if you knew the reason why Axl still uses the GNR name if it hurts him to see something like Reckless Road being released? Obviously, it's his right to use the name but I would've thought that using another band name would be easier as the old members wouldn't be referenced all the time. In my opinion, if he'd have released ChiDem under his own name then I don't think he would've got so much shit from everyone. That way, ChiDem would be a separate entity and not part of the GNR canon, therefore eliminating any talk of Slash etc. and leaving the past where it belongs. Plus, there's no stopping him from playing the old songs under his own name - John Fogerty has had a successful solo career and he still plays CCR songs.

In 1995 I asked Axl what about doing a solo record to get out the things that he wanted to do differently but he was not up for it.

Yes Slash quitting the band put Axl through some chances. Axl had big visions for the next record and needed Slash to help make it. Every time Slash did an interview after that, Slash was blaming Axl for everything and it painted a picture of Axl as the bad guy. Also a lot of what Slash had to say, Axl didn't agree with. So as far as Axl was concerned Slash was not telling the truth about somethings and he was telling the truth then Axl did there things then Axl is a bad guy and it's his fault for the split. Either way Slash would have been better off not talking about it. Or saying a lot less then he did. Axl is very happy with the record he made but, it was not the record he sat out to make when Slash and Duff were still in the band. He made a great record in just 3 years( it doesn't matter that it took another 6 more years to come out)

• Like 1

Hey Marc you mentioned on t he other forum you wanted to do a box set of your audio and video tapes for the fans but things needed to be worked out first....sounds like Axl is holding this back?

If it were to be made by the band with their blessing then you already know how Axl feels about putting out the old stuff at this time. Maybe at a latter time he would be open to it. If it were made by the record Co or someone that paid the band for the rights to use the songs then it could happen but I would have to pick out the best stuff first. I would have no problem doing that if the right people wanted to do it for the right reasons. A year ago there was going to be a GNR doc that I was going to help with but they wanted to pick what ever they wanted to use and I said no. I would never just hand over everything to someone. There is so much great stuff to pick from what I was going to let them use.

Edited by recklessroad

Thanks for the insight Marc, we probably would never have known a lot of these details without your help. Maybe I'm too huge of a Slash fan but I still kinda don't really follow nor agree with what is said about Slash. That being said, fans are lucky you had been around and are still around to provide exclusive GN'R info. Thank you for your words, book, and poster.

Edited by deepfreeze

In 1995 I asked Axl what about doing a solo record to get out the things that he wanted to do differently but he was not up for it.

Did he say why he didn't want to do a solo record?

Yes Slash quitting the band put Axl through some chances. Axl had big visions for the next record and needed Slash to help make it. Every time Slash did an interview after that, Slash was blaming Axl for everything and it painted a picture of Axl as the bad guy. Also a lot of what Slash had to say, Axl didn't agree with. So as far as Axl was concerned Slash was not telling the truth about somethings and he was telling the truth then Axl did there things then Axl is a bad guy and it's his fault for the split. Either way Slash would have been better off not talking about it. Or saying a lot less then he did. Axl is very happy with the record he made but, it was not the record he sat out to make when Slash and Duff were still in the band. He made a great record in just 3 years( it doesn't matter that it took another 6 more years to come out)

Any idea how Axl pictured that record musically? Was he wanting to go in a completely different direction in response to the music industry changing or did he not see that as a concern and was more interested in doing typical GNR stuff? (Which is what I think Slash wanted.)