2012 London Olympics

I just find it ridiculous and annoying that any athlete that does well now gets accused of cheating, instead of celebrating people's achievements we end up questioning them.

It's not that she was that good it's that she seemed to make such a massive overnight improvement. I mean 5 seconds off your personal best is unheard of without something being dodgy. I think she did amazing but you can't blame people for raising the question. I mean she did the last 50 metres faster than the winner of the men's final. :shrugs:

In fairness the reason the Chinese are better than everybody probably has something to do with them being plucked from kindergarten and training something like 350 days a year for hours on end. Communist countries seem to be good at that kinda shit. :shrugs:

Edited by Dazey

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just find it ridiculous and annoying that any athlete that does well now gets accused of cheating, instead of celebrating people's achievements we end up questioning them.

It's not that she was that good it's that she seemed to make such a massive overnight improvement. I mean 5 seconds off your personal best is unheard of without something being dodgy. I think she did amazing but you can't blame people for raising the question. I mean she did the last 50 metres faster than the winner of the men's final. :shrugs:

Year of training though, and she has improved clearly. Totally agree that it's ridiculous, but Kiwi scullers took 12 seconds off the WR did they not? It's plausible. Fair play, she won't be as strong, but is significantly lighter - just seems odd in the last you would utterly turn it on, but the first three 'laps' were consistent.

In fairness the reason the Chinese are better than everybody probably has something to do with them being plucked from kindergarten and training something like 350 days a year for hours on end. Communist countries seem to be good at that kinda shit. :shrugs:

But at the same time she is not the first swimmer to improve by a huge amount overnight, Stephanie Rice improved her PB by 6 second before the 2008 Olympics so it is not like it is unheard of.

Also I think people are making too big a deal about the last 50, she swam it in like 28.9 and Lochte swam his in like 29.1 and when the total times were added up Lochte's was 23 seconds faster.

I admit it is kind of suspicious but it is not the first time it has happened and doubt it will be the last :shrugs:

Oh totally - look at the countries in the medal table in comparison to various others... intensive training for your entire life will make that sort of difference.

Year of training though, and she has improved clearly. Totally agree that it's ridiculous, but Kiwi scullers took 12 seconds off the WR did they not?

Yeah they did but that wasn't their record to beat so it's not really the same thing. Also what was the overall time cos if it was like 15 minutes and they took 12 seconds off it's kinda not as big of a deal as it might seem at first glance.

I admit it is kind of suspicious but it is not the first time it has happened and doubt it will be the last :shrugs:

The Chinese have also been done for doping like every five minutes for the last ten years or so. :lol:

The Chinese have also been done for doping like every five minutes for the last ten years or so. :lol:

I didn't mean just the Chinese mate I meant in general, there will always be occurrences when people improve like mad especially around Olympics time. Also might be cynical of me but I imagine if it was UK, US, AUS athletes the controversy would not be that prominent.

I didn't mean just the Chinese mate I meant in general, there will always be occurrences when people improve like mad especially around Olympics time. Also might be cynical of me but I imagine if it was UK, US, AUS athletes the controversy would not be that prominent.

Course not, cos we're not dirty thievin' Commie bastards! <_<

Someone on Sky Sports made a very good point, as soon as a Chinese girl sets a PB and wins gold she gets accused of cheating by an American coach, yet they have Phelps who has 14 golds and if anyone were to accuse him of cheating there would be widespread offense when anyone with 14 gold would be a prime target for an accusation.

Someone on Sky Sports made a very good point, as soon as a Chinese girl sets a PB and wins gold she gets accused of cheating by an American coach, yet they have Phelps who has 14 golds and if anyone were to accuse him of cheating there would be widespread offense when anyone with 14 gold would be a prime target for an accusation.

michael_phelps3.jpg

Can see why with those shoulders...

michael_phelps3.jpg

Yeah but I'd wager he has to make less of an effort to cut through the water. It probably parts like the red sea to get away from his face! :lol:

michael-phelps2.jpg

I didn't know Michael Phelps starred in My Left Foot? :book:

michael_phelps3.jpg

Yeah but I'd wager he has to make less of an effort to cut through the water. It probably parts like the red sea to get away from his face! :lol:

michael-phelps2.jpg

I didn't know Michael Phelps starred in My Left Foot? :book:

Ease up sunshine hes an alright looking bloke

Fuckin' isn't like! :rolleyes:

Dont use your negatives and slightly superior of the English language on me you wily Barmy Army troglodyte! :lol:

Good body, but not my type.

You a bender?

Good body, but not my type.

You a bender?

By not my type, I referred to the fact that I don't like men. Thought that was pretty obvious :lol:

I am so confused right now :lol:

Us English do that :lol:

By not my type, I referred to the fact that I don't like men. Thought that was pretty obvious :lol:

Nope, you merely implied you don't like that type of men! :lol: Something you wanna tell us sweetheart? ;)

Jeez, some of you boys don't get humour :lol:

Oh well, if not I'll just go after Nate...

Nope, you merely implied you don't like that type of men! :lol: Something you wanna tell us sweetheart? ;)

Jeez, some of you boys don't get humour :lol:

Oh well, if not I'll just go after Nate...

Nate? I thought you liked your men with a bit of body hair!