The Use Your Illusion album covers

Vincent Vega

Anyone else love the UYI album covers? Not only are they aesthetically pleasing, but they seem to invite you into the masterpieces contained within...I honestly think that they're the best album covers of GN'R's discography. The original AFD cover was just as good, but I don't really like the AFD cross. TSI's cover is so random that it's cool. Lies is inventive. CD's is weird...But the UYIs album covers, especially UYI II, it's art, it's epic....

Anyone else love 'em?

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I think they're pretty terrible.

I like the AFD cross and Lies best. CD is probably even worse than TSI.

Anyone else love the UYI album covers? Not only are they aesthetically pleasing, but they seem to invite you into the masterpieces contained within...I honestly think that they're the best album covers of GN'R's discography. The original AFD cover was just as good, but I don't really like the AFD cross. TSI's cover is so random that it's cool. Lies is inventive. CD's is weird...But the UYIs album covers, especially UYI II, it's art, it's epic....

Anyone else love 'em?

I also love them, especially the yellow one for some reason (even though I generally like blue better). I've been trying to find good print of the original (cropped obviously) for some time.

• 2 weeks later...

They looked all right, but the person who painted them made big mistakes in the anatomy of the kid writing in the scrapbook. Especially the legs look retarded.

Take a look at Kostabi's work, makes more sense why it's like that.

http://www.artnet.com/Magazine/features/kostabi/kostabi5-8-00.asp

Dear Mark,

a ) What was your first thought when Axl Rose asked about using Use Your Illusion for an album cover?

B ) The band was then considered "underground" or "grunge" or "alternative." In other words, did that cross your mind? That it would give you credibility then?

c ) Any thoughts today, looking back on the album and cover-art?

Thank you!

An admirer from Denmark,

Weexy

Dear Weexy,

A ) Awesome!

B ) The band was already huge and I knew that it would put me in another stratosphere of exposure. I knew that it would give me more credibility with the younger, general public but I was surprised to discover that the owner of 303 Gallery suddenly showed me a little admiration and respect.

C ) I'm glad my signature is clearly visible and since my painting is an interpretation of a detail from Raphael's School of Athens, it gives me an amusing personal doorway into learning more about art history.

Edited by dalsh327