The Doors Live At The Hollywood Bowl '68 te bo released on blu-ray

Zint

source

The Doors: Live At The Bowl '68 Blu-ray

Eagle Rock Entertainment have officially announced that they will release on Blu-ray The Doors: Live At The Bowl '68. The band's historic performance has been restored from the original camera negatives and remixed and mastered using original multi-track tapes. Street date is October 23rd.

The Doors supplied plenty of post-Independence Day fireworks on July 5, 1968 when the legendary quartet played the Hollywood Bowl, a concert that is considered to be the band's finest on film. For the first time, the film from the historic performance has been painstakingly restored using the original camera negatives and the audio has been remixed and mastered from original multi-tracks by the group's engineer Bruce Botnick. This new restoration offers a stunning visual upgrade from earlier versions and will give fans the closest experience to being there live along side Jim Morrison, John Densmore, Robby Krieger and Ray Manzarek, who opined, "You can hear it as if you were at the Hollywood Bowl, on stage with us."

Live At The Bowl '68 will include three previously unreleased tracks from the performance. Technical issues with the recording of "Hello, I Love You," "The WASP (Texas Radio And The Big Beat)," and "Spanish Caravan" prevented them from being released in the past. Now, through meticulous restoration of the audio, all three will be included, marking the first time the concert has been available in its entirety.

The Blu-ray will feature a 16x9 high-definition digital transfer with both a stereo and 5.1 audio soundtrack as well as over an hour of bonus material. Included in the additional content are "Echoes From The Bowl," The Doors' route to the Hollywood Bowl; "You Had To Be There," memories of The Doors' performance at the Bowl; "Reworking The Doors," an in-depth look at how the film was restored; and three bonus performances: "Wild Child" from The Smothers Brothers Show in 1968, "Light My Fire" from The Jonathan Winters Show in December 1967 and a version of Van Morrison's "Gloria" with specially created visuals.

Tracklisting:

1. Show Start/Intro

2. "When The Music's Over"

3. "Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)"

4. "Back Door Man"

5. "Five To One"

6. "Back Door Man" (Reprise)

7. "The WASP (Texas Radio And The Big Beat)"

8. "Hello, I Love You"

9. "Moonlight Drive"

10. "Horse Latitudes"

11. "A Little Game"

12. "The Hill Dwellers"

13. "Spanish Caravan"

14. Hey, What Would You Guys Like To Hear?

15. "Wake Up!"

16. Light My Fire (Segue)

17. "Light My Fire"

18. "The Unknown Soldier"

19. The End (Segue)

20. "The End"

Guest Len B'stard

This spate of cool funky new releases of old footage and stuff thats coming out now is really starting to piss me off cuz it's like, where the fuck were you when i was a kid you cunts?!?! :lol: Woulda meant so much more, y'know? Now i watch it and it's still cool and everything but..thats all it is. Fuck me, i reckon if i'd've had Jimi at Monterey as a kid my life might've turned out different :lol: Like "Yes, this is the way!" :lol: Hearing it's amazing too, don't get me wrong but seeing it is like FUUUUUCKIN hell..

Edited by sugaraylen

This spate of cool funky new releases of old footage and stuff thats coming out now is really starting to piss me off cuz it's like, where the fuck were you when i was a kid you cunts?!?! :lol: Woulda meant so much more, y'know? Now i watch it and it's still cool and everything but..thats all it is. Fuck me, i reckon if i'd've had Jimi at Monterey as a kid my life might've turned out different :lol: Like "Yes, this is the way!" :lol: Hearing it's amazing too, don't get me wrong but seeing it is like FUUUUUCKIN hell..

A lot of it's being mined while the guys who were there are still alive. Manzarek just did a show with X, celebrating the "Los Angeles" album.

Harrison Ford was an assistant who was there to load film. I'm hoping they release "Hwy" and "Feast of Friends".

I think Hendrix made a bigger impact in England than the US. To me, it seemed like he had the hit songs in the US and that's all anyone cared about. The people who were there for the Band of Gypsys saw amazing musicianship and didn't care that he wasn't setting his guitar on fire and humping the amps.

The Woodstock show is more of a myth. 80 percent of the audience left by the time Sha Na Na and Jimi came on. Most people who said they were there, weren't.

Guest Len B'stard
I think Hendrix made a bigger impact in England than the US. To me, it seemed like he had the hit songs in the US and that's all anyone cared about. The people who were there for the Band of Gypsys saw amazing musicianship and didn't care that he wasn't setting his guitar on fire and humping the amps.

MUCH MUCH more of an impact. To this day people love that fuckin' guy over here, a lot of people feel he's kind of English by default (not something i subscribe to). Apparently Chas Chandler didn't attend his funeral because they had buried him in America and he said Jimi had specifically asked to be buried in England so he didn't attend cuz the service weren't respecting Jimi's wishes.

America doesn't really like...i mean i know you guys rate him and that but...you just don't get the same feeling about it. I mean you only need to watch Jimi documentarys and predominantely it's English people raving about him, i guess cuz of the blues boom and everything he was kinda tailor-made for England, just look at all the documentaries lately out of the BBC, the Seven Ages of Rock and all these other ones springing up and like, the importance they put on Jimi which American docu's don't really seem to, i don't know why that is.

Also the black community in America never really embraced Jimi either, it's kinda sad.

I don't think anybody, i mean ANYBODY got as famous in this country as quickly as Jimi Hendrix did, not The Beatles, not The Stones, not nobody..possibly the Pistols just from the sheer overnightness of swearing on the telly but Jimi did it with music, he just fuckin' bought England to it's knees like BOOM, soon as the plane landed. Nobody shouted hooray for tolerance! at him here...not cuz Englands any less racist, it's probably more racist but...i dunno, Jimi was just Jimi.

Jimi-hendrix-photo.jpg

Yeeeaaahh! :) We'll have Jimi, yous can have Piers Morgan, you seem to like him :lol: England fell to it's knees for Jimi, the audiences and the stars too, your Micks and Pete Townshends and Lennons and McCartneys and just EVERYBODY...and Londons a notoriously bitchy and side-takey cliquey music scene...but Jimi was the great equaliser, God i love that guy so much...

"We'd like to stop playing this rubbish and dedicate this song to The Cream" *cough cough* andplayit40timesbetterthanthemcuzi'mjimihendrixandyouain't! :lol:

I just don't see how anybody can listen to this music and just be utterly transported by it, to like another fuckin' planet, it's just instant, it doesn't take re-listening to or reassessing or sometimes to sink in, it's just the most incredible instinctive guitar playing, it's just pure fuckin' artistic expression...distilled.

Edited by sugaraylen

The problem I have about Hendrix is this assumption that he had to be on drugs to play as good as he did, and you have idiots thinking that they have to be on acid to sound like Jimi. Even though when you take a look at his resume, he had played with some of the toughest, best, and hardest working musicians at that time.

It was def. good for Jimi, because, face it, in rock, black artists were few and far between. you had the Chambers Brothers, they had their one hit. You had Love, who didn't tour out of LA, and never really made it the way The Doors and Jimi did. You had Sly Stone, but he fell apart and never really recovered. By Jimi going to England, and having a weird, creative imagination and a way with words, simple but with an elegance to it, worked like magic.

Cream was THE power trio at that time, and Jimi came in kicking their asses. How are a bunch of white kids from England pretending to be off the cotton farm and levee building, were match for the real deal, even though he wasn't from the south. But he had his time touring through there, and seeing an ugly side of America he had no clue about until he joined the Army and spent some time in the south. That was more like his college, working with all those R&B groups, and then wound up in NYC.

I know in the documentary, he wanted to try to get the black audiences to turn up to his shows, and with Band of Gypsys, he was making an attempt to go in that direction, but the manager just kept working him on the road. Everyone who's ever jammed with him in the clubs, and there's a lot of people he jammed with, loved him. He'd take on the bass. Even people in the neighborhood near Electric Lady, or hanging outside the studio, he'd have them come in to hang out. I mean, everyone wishes he could've kept going, just to see what he would've done with music, but I can't imagine how he would've fared during disco. The only thing bluesy going on in the 70s was ZZ Top, I don't even think most blues masters were getting any work at the time, or were putting out these gimmick records. It was sad to see funk go, and it was just P-Funk surviving through disco. Jimi prob.would've been in P-Funk just so he had work coming in, or producing disco acts just to have money coming in.

Guest Len B'stard
The problem I have about Hendrix is this assumption that he had to be on drugs to play as good as he did, and you have idiots thinking that they have to be on acid to sound like Jimi. Even though when you take a look at his resume, he had played with some of the toughest, best, and hardest working musicians at that time.

Oh shit man, don't get me started on that! And it ain't even Jimi, the notion that anyones creativity could be centred upon something as flimsy as consumption of drugs is ridiculous as a notion. Jimi played with the sort of people that docked your wages for fuckin' your shit up.

It was def. good for Jimi, because, face it, in rock, black artists were few and far between. you had the Chambers Brothers, they had their one hit. You had Love, who didn't tour out of LA, and never really made it the way The Doors and Jimi did. You had Sly Stone, but he fell apart and never really recovered. By Jimi going to England, and having a weird, creative imagination and a way with words, simple but with an elegance to it, worked like magic.

You get a definite feeling of Jimi being different people for different people, you get a definite sense of him playing up to certain expectations of him, of trying to keep everybody happy, to the English Jimi was like an authentic bluesman but with a modernist progressive touch that made him just absolutely perfect for what was going on in England at the time because as good as the old bluessmiths were, they were old men, Jimi was the perfect coming together of youth and a certain authenticity that the English just fawned over at that time. Jimi could successfully and convincingly bring together certain styles of the day that the older lot might've looked a bit silly doing. Electric Mud, thats about as contemporary as they got, they were really quite purist those old guys, apparently Muddy and Howlin' Wolf hated those Electric Mud/Electric Wolf recordings.

Cream was THE power trio at that time, and Jimi came in kicking their asses. How are a bunch of white kids from England pretending to be off the cotton farm and levee building, were match for the real deal, even though he wasn't from the south.

There is a school of thought y'know that still says that Cream were the better band, Clapton was the better more in the classical vein of blues playing where Jimi was basically on a lot of shtick and gimmickery and y'know, Jack Bruce (and i don't think this bit is disputable) was a far better bass player than Redding and Ginge pissed all over Mitch Mitchell. Myself i'm a Hendrixite but i fuckin' love Cream and the people that make that assertion, i don't think they're wrong as such it's just i don't think those things necessarily make for a superior collective.

I know in the documentary, he wanted to try to get the black audiences to turn up to his shows, and with Band of Gypsys, he was making an attempt to go in that direction, but the manager just kept working him on the road. Everyone who's ever jammed with him in the clubs, and there's a lot of people he jammed with, loved him. He'd take on the bass. Even people in the neighborhood near Electric Lady, or hanging outside the studio, he'd have them come in to hang out. I mean, everyone wishes he could've kept going, just to see what he would've done with music, but I can't imagine how he would've fared during disco. The only thing bluesy going on in the 70s was ZZ Top, I don't even think most blues masters were getting any work at the time, or were putting out these gimmick records.

Which documentary you talkin' about? I think he would've fared brilliantly in any time in any era, he would've just created his own little fuckin' niche, his own brand and just blown it wide open with each new musical thing that he jumped on. I see him doing a lot more funky stuff, perhaps doing something with Jazz and such. Although, y'know they say, from pretty much the inception of the Expierience, Jimi's real dream was always to lead like an RnB combo, a full one, with the horns and all that shit, thats what he was building towards but i dunno, you get the impression he was a very flighty person by nature but he just had such a prodigious propensity for guitar playing that even within those short flights of fancy regarding a particular style or what have you he pretty much always nailed em in that space of time anyway.

Jimi would've just been a law unto himself like he always was, i mean, what the fuck out there was REALLY like The Expierience anyway? There's whispers and echoes of other shit in there but it was totally fuckin' unique and it was getting uniquer. It's difficult to classify some people, i think Hendrixes shit was all natural organic progression for him, some people defy fuckin' styles and all that shit, Jimi would've just been off the chart.

Then again, you never know, living like he did, maybe he would've just burned out.

Edited by sugaraylen

Every August I watch Woodstock, a tradition I've had for decades.

It still blows my mind when it gets to Hendrix..to see how many people remain in the audience.

THOSE people who lasted to Hendrix are THE "Woodstock Generation"...the rest were frauds.

Everyone hightailed home because they had to get to "work"...WORK **gasp**.

It was Monday morning, things to do places to be...no time for Hendrix.

The 30,000 or so who stayed did so because they chose to.

No society bubbles to fit in, no particluar place to go....freedom.

No pressure from "THE MAN" to get back to where they once belonged.

The majority of the "young and free who were changing the world" hightailed it back to Mom and Dad's posh home.

I always look at the faces of those who stayed, they get it...they are the ones who told the world to "hang on a fuckin sec, Hendrix is on".

"Everything will sort itself out, fuck it, I'm staying...it's fucking Hendrix."

Fucking indeed!

Every August I watch Woodstock, a tradition I've had for decades.

It still blows my mind when it gets to Hendrix..to see how many people remain in the audience.

THOSE people who lasted to Hendrix are THE "Woodstock Generation"...the rest were frauds.

Everyone hightailed home because they had to get to "work"...WORK **gasp**.

It was Monday morning, things to do places to be...no time for Hendrix.

The 30,000 or so who stayed did so because they chose to.

No society bubbles to fit in, no particluar place to go....freedom.

No pressure from "THE MAN" to get back to where they once belonged.

The majority of the "young and free who were changing the world" hightailed it back to Mom and Dad's posh home.

I always look at the faces of those who stayed, they get it...they are the ones who told the world to "hang on a fuckin sec, Hendrix is on".

"Everything will sort itself out, fuck it, I'm staying...it's fucking Hendrix."

Fucking indeed!

The original movie didn't really show you how many people were in the audience as much as the "Hendrix at Woodstock" DVD did. It comes down to the people there were the stars, not the bands. The bands were just overwhelmed by the amount of people there, but everyone said it was poorly organized and nothing worked right, and some of them refused to be part of the movie and soundtrack. Since then, almost all of them have changed their minds on it. There's a DVD from an early 90s doc that puts the acts in order. Day 1 was all folkie, and the turnout was big, but most of them were just hanging out getting a good spot for the next 2 nights.

Considering most of us would've seen these bands in theaters, I don't know if any of us would've gone upstate, mid summer, to sit in a field with that many people. Everyone was cool to each other, they were just concerned about safety more than anything.

I don't have any romance about going in the field over the summer. I didn't go to Woodstock 99 because it was expensive, it was summer, and it was on an old base or some airport. I'd seen half the bands, and just passed on it. No one I knew wanted to go, but some people love festivals because girls get topless and a good place to hook up and get high. It's fascinating to me when I've talked to people who went, they all have this shared experience when they get together and it comes up.

The big thing they share in, the guys? Uncertainty. About going to Vietnam, their number coming up. It was a good way to get away from that weight on one's mind. No seeing high school friend's names on TV that were coming back in a coffin. And there were a lot of people that came back from Vietnam that went to Woodstock, the ones who didn't have kids, and just figuring their lives out. Some of the people who played Woodstock served - Country Joe and Jimi, the most controversial people at Woodstock.

Hendrix at that time wasn't considered a big deal anymore, at least by the mainstream audience. People wanted him to keep smashing guitars and lighting them on fire, and he had this whole other band on stage. It was their nuGuns, come to think of it. He did the hits, but you've seen and heard the songs. The people who loved Hendrix's guitar playing stayed.

Lang did promise 3 days of peace and love, and for the majority of people, that's what they got. For some, they never made it out alive. Some others, settled in the area, set up a shop, and gave farming a go. Some people moved further north-northeast to Vermont and set up shop there. Arena rock was born there, the sound system from that point on supported bands like the Stones and The Who. People got into yoga and tried granola for the first time. It was easier to get pot than clean water.

It's like an ideal time, with this big black cloud hanging over it. The moon landing, the Mets winning the World Series, good times in NYC. Maybe Nixon would fix the clusterfuck Lyndon Johnson had going on and restore some order in America. Even if King's gone, maybe Sly Stone could make some racial harmony happen.

Then - the dream was over. Beatles break up. Simon and Garfunkel part ways. Janis, Jimi and Jim are gone within the next year and a half. There were prob.other musician casualties at the time.

Hendrix's last performances came off as someone tired and frustrated. Janis was Janis - I think she was just like Bon Scott as far as excesses go. Sure she felt alone at times, she felt like the ugly girl who hid herself in boas and outrageous outfits and a Texas sized voice, but she would've been like Bonnie Raitt career-wise. Bonnie's a survivor who partied too hard too.

Jimi and Jim still had a lot to do, but their lifestyle got the best of them.

I think that's why people look so fondly on Woodstock, but it's not a time most people would have wanted to live in. It was still a very conservative time in America.

I would've stood stark naked in Antarctica suckin' an ice lolly for the chance to see Jimi.

THAT was the attitude for a lot of kids going into Woodstock.

Three Days stuck in the middle of a cowfield in the middle of a few hundred thousand people pissing on the spot because there's no where to go..

"Hendrix is playing?...I'm there!"

I've read many a story where the motivating factor for attending was Hendrix, not some cosmic energy calling them to the Garden.

It wasn't all peace and love and tolerance.There's some really good books that deal with people's accounts of attending and what it meant to them on a personal level, not all of it was positive.

One chapter was about a guy who went there with his male lover.He thought peace love tolerance meant for everyone.

Apparantly the hippies forgot to mention it was intended for straight white America.

They tried holding hands walking to the site, tried snuggling up on a blanket to withstand the rain. All they endured were wisecracks and derision.

They definitely did not feel "free" to be themselves.

Burning down a hamburger stand isn't exactly a peaceful act either.

Dealers were absolute leeches at the event, in such a rush to mass produce for maximum dollar they were selling utter life threatening garbage.

Look at the fields when it was alll said and done, the earth huggers left it an absolute shambles.

That wasn't a mystical gathering of the brotherhood, it was a big ass party.

That's why most bailed before Hendrix..it was fun until the beer ran out.

I forgot the list of bands that passed on Woodstock, but here's the ones off the top of my head:

Led Zeppelin (even though they were in Asbury Park, NJ).

Jeff Beck Group (broke up)

Bob Dylan (who had just dealt with someone breaking into his home at the time)

The Beatles (Lennon offered to play with Yoko, the organizers passed, but it would've meant Clapton playing there, but he'd been putting together Blind Faith. Bad timing, but wonder how that would've gone over).

Frank Zappa - he didn't want to do an outdoor festival with a good possibility of rain coming.

Joni Mitchell - manager's fault, wanted her to get TV time, plus she'd been playing a lot of festivals.

The Doors - didn't want to play in that huge of a crowd, supposedly had been getting death threats.

Rolling Stones - Mick was making... "Ned Kelly".

The Byrds (w. Gram Parsons)- money issue, had wanted to take a break from the road.

Tommy James and the Shondells - passed on playing in a field, regretted it since.

Moody Blues - were booked to play Paris.

Jethro Tull -because Ian Anderson didn't like hippies and naked muddy women *L*

Paul Rodgers w/ Free - declined

Chicago - Bill Graham screwed them over by holding them to a contract at the Fillmore West. 3000 miles away. Santana wound up playing instead,a band he'd been trying to get off the ground.

Springsteen? Could've happened. Bill Graham had recorded his demo in 1969 in San Fran, but Bruce didn't last long in SF

Zint - the last paragraph is dead on. People were also tired, muddy, out of pot, wet, and just wanted to get out of there. 30K people is respectable, but after half a million were there for 2 days in a row, seems like a paltry turnout. It wouldn't be his only festival show, there's a few out there never released, or never recorded.

The Doors - didn't want to play in that huge of a crowd, supposedly had been getting death threats.

In some footage you can see John Densmore standing sidestage, watching other bands perform.

Looking bummed as hell.

He said in his bio that standing there watching the event of the decade unfold without them was a major drag.

I think the issue was moreso the state of affairs with Jim at the time.

Rolling Stones - Mick was making... "Ned Kelly".

Keith claims they were never asked to play the first one.

He's said it in a few different interviews, one where he was asked why they didn't play the follow up Woodstock Anniversary gigs "they didn't invite us to the first one, why would play the follow ups?" and another when asked about Altamonte "they didn't ask us to their party, so we threw our own".

Paraphrased, but that's along the lines of what he said.

In some footage you can see John Densmore standing sidestage, watching other bands perform.

Looking bummed as hell.

He said in his bio that standing there watching the event of the decade unfold without them was a major drag.

He prob. had mixed feelings about it, but felt like the band was missing out, had this sound system where you could hear a guitar chord travel out into the audience, and with it being a few months after Miami and a bunch of cancelled shows, not a good year for the band. Even though they had a hit with "Touch Me".

There's footage of The Doors in the park playing, and I just think in a place like NY, weather's unreliable. In LA, odds are pretty good if you're playing an amphitheater, it's prob. not going to rain.

Jefferson Airplane was the last band from the Saturday night set, and they went on at 8:30 AM Sunday morning. Joe Cocker went on at 2:30 PM and then the rain happened after that set. I just think he was both tired and bummed out. I'm sure people slept through some of those sets.

Looking bummed as hell.

He prob. had mixed feelings about it, but felt like the band was missing out, had this sound system where you could hear a guitar chord travel out into the audience, and with it being a few months after Miami and a bunch of cancelled shows, not a good year for the band. Even though they had a hit with "Touch Me".

There's footage of The Doors in the park playing, and I just think in a place like NY, weather's unreliable. In LA, odds are pretty good if you're playing an amphitheater, it's prob. not going to rain.

Jefferson Airplane was the last band from the Saturday night set, and they went on at 8:30 AM Sunday morning. Joe Cocker went on at 2:30 PM and then the rain happened after that set. I just think he was both tired and bummed out. I'm sure people slept through some of those sets.

John wrote about it in his bio, he really felt the Doors should have been there.

Watching the Directors cut on blu..when it came to the Airplane's performance, I just sat there and observed how out of touch they were.

Left three years in the dust.

The Who just showed them the door ya know?..."it's over, get the fuck out".

It's rarely discussed but the real message of that movie is "it's over".

When you watch the Who (and I'm aware they consider it the worst gig they ever played), the vision is just so strong.

They are clearly the way of the future, or the door into the 70's perhaps.

They just mopped the floor with the hippy shit.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hippy basher..in fact, great respect for them.They went to the frontline and took a right beating for a lot of what was to follow through the door...LITERALLY a beating. (never understood the punk hatred, but that's another topic).

The Who just, really, owned that concert and reshaped the live concert experience and what was yet to come.

I LOVE Woodstock, always have...but man, the Who kicked a lot of shit to the curb at that gig.

Has there ever been a Woodstock thread here?Maybe we should get a proper discussion going.

I prob. listened to Jefferson Starship more than the Airplane, but I never gave the catalog a proper listen.

To me, The Who saw bigger amplifiers and wanted to turn it up as loud as possible and just destroy the audience. And it was kind of a rematch between Jimi and The Who, except they weren't debating which one was going on next.

The movie came out in 1970, so it really was a farewell to the 60s, but it was also the starting point for arena rock and how loud a band can get.

The discussion about why punks hated hippies, I think Lydon's book and the Joe Strummer "Future is Unwritten' documentary kind of went into that. George Harrison had gone to San Fran and was disgusted by what he saw, he thought it was going to be how it was in London, not a bunch of strung out teenagers begging for money or doing sexual favors.

• 3 weeks later...

The trailer for The Doors: Live at the Bowl '68. Unfortunately, it appears that they were forced to use the studio album vocals for Hello, I Love You which did not appear in the original release of this concert. It seems that the vocals recorded for this song were damaged. Apparently, the damage was irreparable, because they are using the studio vocals. They did edit the original vocals for Light My Fire back in. Producer Paul Rothchild dubbed in vocals from another performance for this song.