Axl's vocals on Estranged in 2012

Bruno P.

The best solo in November Rain is still the little one before "And when your fears subside..." Not one single GNR guitarist has ever played that solo correctly apart from Slash on the album take. Not one.

Slash didn't do it correctly live, Robin didn't even try to do it correctly live... I'm not sure what he was trying to do, DJ doesn't do it correctly live. They all overcook that high bend and sour the feeling of the solo, on the record it almost had a grace note before it, but none of them get the feeling the way it was on the album. Which I personally find a huge shame because it surely can't be that difficult...

I'm having a hard time finding what you're saying. Care to elaborate?

Sure, cause it really does get to me and I've tried to explain this on several occasions and I don't think anyone's really "got it".

The guitar solo which starts at 5:24 is my favourite part of the whole song, particularly the high bend at 5:36, which I think is just beautiful. I have never encountered a live performance of this song where that solo has sounded the way it does on the record and it's always that bend that none of the guitarists seem to be able to get correctly (discounting Robin who just made up his own screechy mess of a solo there).

Take that video as just one example, the solo starts at 6:07 and the bend in question's about 6:17... But it's out of tune for the majority of its duration and sounds sour rather than amazing. I'm just saying that I have never found a live rendition of this song where that solo has been played, and that bend has been pulled off as well as it was on the record. It's a tiny, minute, insignificant detail but it's also my favourite part of the song so it bothers me quite a lot more than it should.

Are we clear? :P

I got it. Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me and yeah, you're actually right but I think that's called "sustain"?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic