Questions for Marc

SlashAFD87

Hi Marc,

I've been reading through all the "Axl vs Slash" threads aswell as I've read through your answers but I still have a hard time figuring out why Axl feels like Slash's been stealing years from his life. Is it because all the lawsuits or what is it? However that is probably my main question. My other questions is the following:

1. Axl spent his nights during the early days with Slash at his mom house. Do you remember this? What did Ola think of Axl (except for the grandma & the sofa situation)

2. Vicky Hamilton claimed to be the one who introduced Slash to Axl after an Hollywood Rose gig - is there any truth to that statement?

3. In various biographys (written, videos, audios etc) it seems to me that "Hell House" where was it all happened after a GN'R gig. Was it really a "Hell House" as in a 24/7 party where everything could happen?

4. Since you've been a friend of Slash since his early years. Do you still talk to eachother often? Could you still just call him up just to have a chat about whatever?

Thanks for hanging out here m8!

Hi Marc,

I've been reading through all the "Axl vs Slash" threads aswell as I've read through your answers but I still have a hard time figuring out why Axl feels like Slash's been stealing years from his life. Is it because all the lawsuits or what is it? However that is probably my main question. My other questions is the following:

1. Axl spent his nights during the early days with Slash at his mom house. Do you remember this? What did Ola think of Axl (except for the grandma & the sofa situation)

2. Vicky Hamilton claimed to be the one who introduced Slash to Axl after an Hollywood Rose gig - is there any truth to that statement?

3. In various biographys (written, videos, audios etc) it seems to me that "Hell House" where was it all happened after a GN'R gig. Was it really a "Hell House" as in a 24/7 party where everything could happen?

4. Since you've been a friend of Slash since his early years. Do you still talk to eachother often? Could you still just call him up just to have a chat about whatever?

I think he feels this way because if Slash would have joined the New GNR than together Axl thinks could have made 100 million dollars with a new record and tour and become the next Rolling Stones. However because Slash didn't join and then said things that Axl didn't agree with to the press, Axl thinks that press believes Slash and since Axl doesn't really do interviews, no one knows Axl's side. All this has somehow caused a big chain reaction where everyone just wants a reunion tour and or new music with the old line up and there for nothing seems to be moving in the GNR camp except for some touring. Now if they were to do a reunion tour they could make 300 to 500 million. Looks like Slash was willing to do it but Axl is still waiting for Slash to apologize. That day will never come because Slash doesn't really know what he needs to apologize for. He did go to Axl's house to try and works some things out and that didn't work out. I'm sure if locked them up in a room they would have a lot to talk about and there would be some apologizing for certain things but, Im not sure how to get them locked up together. There is a lot more to it than this but this is just the outline for it. This is the short version. Also lets not forget the 16 years of life that Axl missed out on because of their differences.

Axl may have spent a week or 2 on the couch at Ola's place. Ola loved everyone and never had any problems with people unless they were drug dealers and Axl was not a dealer. Ola didn't have a bad bone in her body and made friends with almost everyone that she came in contact with. She really wanted Slash to reconcile with Axl would call me to talk about that a lot. She loved Axl and knew they should be working together again.

I don't remember Vicky doing that. I know she thinks she did but that what she remembers. She thinks it was at a Blacksheep gig but Axl and Slash were in Hollywood 1 year before Slash was in Blacksheep and Slash only played 1 gig with Blacksheep and it was at the Country Clum not the music Machine like Vicky seems to remember. Here is how I remember it. We heard that Rose had a great singer while Slash and Steven were in Roadcrew (which Roadcrew never played a club) We went to Gazzarri's and paid $1.00 to see Rose. After the gig Slash met with Axl. Axl then came over to Slash's place and heard Slash play and then Slash and Steven joined up with Axl and Izzy and changed the name of the band to The New Hollywood Rose Izzy quit a week latter to join London. The only connection with Vicky was She was with Poison and Hollywood Rose played a gig with Poison at the Troubadour after Slash was already in the band a few months. I think that Vicky has Slash mixed up with Chris Webber? Vicky did book GNR to open a gig at the Stardust Ballroom June 28th 1985 which was the 3rd gig that the Appetite line up did. The next time I saw Vicky was Jan 1986 when they hired her to be the manager.

Hell House is a place that Duff had with West and Del, the guys had a lot of fun there because it was a house and not an apartment. They could get a way with a lot more because of it. They could play music all night and not worry about who can hear you thou the next wall. They lived there in 1987 for a while

We really don't talk on the phone but we do keep in touch with email and texting. I don't see him very much unless there is a gig in Los Angeles. and then I see him for a few minutes before the gig.

Edited by recklessroad

I agree with 31illusions. That was probably the best read I've had in a long time and it really shed some light over the Axl vs Slash situation. Thank you so much for answering my questions.

I guess we'll never see Slash and Axl working out their differences unless both matures with age and could see the problem from the others perspective. It's sad since Slash guitar playing really fits into Axl style of singing and vice versa - in my opinion thats one of the best chemistries I've ever witnessed in music. Hopefully one day they'll stay at the same hotel and just bump into each other by accident.

Have a great day Marc and once again - thanks a lot for taking the time.

Hi Marc,

I think he feels this way because if Slash would have joined the New GNR than together Axl thinks could have made 100 million dollars with a new record and tour and become the next Rolling Stones. However because Slash didn't join and then said things that Axl didn't agree with to the press, Axl thinks that press believes Slash and since Axl doesn't really do interviews, no one knows Axl's side. All this has somehow caused a big chain reaction where everyone just wants a reunion tour and or new music with the old line up and there for nothing seems to be moving in the GNR camp except for some touring. Now if they were to do a reunion tour they could make 300 to 500 million. Looks like Slash was willing to do it but Axl is still waiting for Slash to apologize. That day will never come because Slash doesn't really know what he needs to apologize for. He did go to Axl's house and that didn't work out. I'm sure if looked them up in a room they would have a lot to talk about and there would be some apologizing for certain things but, Im not sure how to get them looked up together. There is a lot more to it than this but this is just the outline for it. This is the short version. Also lets not forget the 16 years of life that Axl missed out on because of everything that happened.

Axl may have spent a week or 2 on the couch at Ola's place. Ola loved everyone and never had any problems with people unless they were drug dealers and Axl was not a dealer. Ola didn't have a bad bone in her body and made friends with almost everyone that she came in contact with. She really wanted Slash to reconcile with Axl would call me to talk about that a lot. She loved Axl and knew they should be working together again.

I don't remember Vicky doing that. I know she thinks she did but that what she remembers. She thinks it was at a Blacksheep gig but Axl and Slash were in Hollywood 1 year before Slash was in Blacksheep and Slash only played 1 gig with Blacksheep and it was at the Country Clum not the music Machine like Vicky seems to remember. Here is how I remember it. We heard that Rose had a great singer while Slash and Steven were in Roadcrew (which Roadcrew never played a club) We went to Gazzarri's and paid $1.00 to see Rose. After the gig Slash met with Axl. Axl then came over to Slash's place and heard Slash play and then Slash and Steven joined up with Axl and Izzy and changed the name of the band to The New Hollywood Rose Izzy quit a week latter to join London. The only connection with Vicky was She was with Poison and Hollywood Rose played a gig with Poison at the Troubadour after Slash was already in the band a few months. I think that Vicky has Slash mixed up with Chris Webber? Vicky did book GNR to open a gig at the Stardust Ballroom June 28th 1985 which was the 3rd gig that the Appetite line up did. The next time I saw Vicky was Jan 1986 when they hired her to be the manager.

Hell House is a place that Duff had with West and Del, the guys had a lot of fun there because it was a house and not an apartment. They could get a way with a lot more because of it. They could play music all night and not worry about who can hear you thou the next wall. They lived there in 1987 for a while

We really don't talk on the phone but we do keep in touch with email and texting. I don't see him very much unless there is a gig in Los Angeles. and then I see him for a few minutes before the gig.

Marc you're a bloody star mate and we all really appreciate the input!!!:devilshades:

I think he feels this way because if Slash would have joined the New GNR than together Axl thinks could have made 100 million dollars with a new record and tour and become the next Rolling Stones.

Why did Axl dissolve the old partnership and start a new GNR? Axl said he was trying to salvage Guns, not steal it, what does that mean? If he really wanted Slash to stay why not just keep the original partnership?

Thanks again for the insight Marc, but I was wondering if you could clarify this statement:

Also lets not forget the 16 years of life that Axl missed out on because of their differences.

Seems like a lot to lay at one guy's feet.

• 5 months later...

Hi Marc,

I think he feels this way because if Slash would have joined the New GNR than together Axl thinks could have made 100 million dollars with a new record and tour and become the next Rolling Stones. However because Slash didn't join and then said things that Axl didn't agree with to the press, Axl thinks that press believes Slash and since Axl doesn't really do interviews, no one knows Axl's side. All this has somehow caused a big chain reaction where everyone just wants a reunion tour and or new music with the old line up and there for nothing seems to be moving in the GNR camp except for some touring. Now if they were to do a reunion tour they could make 300 to 500 million. Looks like Slash was willing to do it but Axl is still waiting for Slash to apologize. That day will never come because Slash doesn't really know what he needs to apologize for. He did go to Axl's house to try and works some things out and that didn't work out. I'm sure if locked them up in a room they would have a lot to talk about and there would be some apologizing for certain things but, Im not sure how to get them locked up together. There is a lot more to it than this but this is just the outline for it. This is the short version. Also lets not forget the 16 years of life that Axl missed out on because of their differences.

Marc, I have some questions about the Gazzarri show after reading Steven Adler's autogiography (page. 61). I just thought I would bump this thread up instead of making another one. Well I will just put what Adler says about the gig in pointers and see what you make of each one:

- Steven says that he saw a flyer outside the Roxy featuring two guys (who it would transpire would be, Axl and Izzy) . He then showed this to Slash with the general intention of, poaching them for Road Crew.

- The gig was on a tuesday. 'The following Tuesday.'

- Stevie and Slash (Adler leaves you out!) turn up about 6pm and there were lots of bands (about twelve before Hollywood Rose), and three stages sectioned-off so they could have three bands set up at once - H. Rose were on the right stage. And 50-75 of the fans of each band would leave after every set.

- Hollywood Rose only played three songs.

- the line-up consisted of Robert Gardner - who Adler didn't rate (and found out later that H. Rose wanted to sack). The bass player was called 'DJ' and was a skinny guy with long black hair who co-wrote 'Move to the City'.

The line-up would have presumably had Kreiss on drums, wouldn't it? Also, presumably he means Weber for Move To The City. But didn't Weber have blond hair? Perhaps he is sort of mixing the two up, Tracii and Chris.

Well, Adler's book was a sort of ghost-written affair!

Edited by DieselDaisy

Marc, dug your book and just wanted to say 'thanks' for being so accessible and open in your sharing of info on the forum. I know it can't always be easy.

Really takes the conversation to a new level and provides insight we didn't think we'd ever get. Big thanks again. :thumbsup:

Added: The part about Ola's feelings toward Axl was especially interesting. Makes it even harder to understand how these 2 guys didn't at least try and talk it out at some point.

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Thanks. He (or his ghost writer) is obviously confusing, how New Hollywood Rose began with, how 'Appetite' era GN'R began.

Is he right about Rose being on a bill with multiple other bands, and, only playing three songs?

He could be right about that because it was only $1.00 to get in and I only remember seeing a few songs.